Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Empire Apex 2, First impressions VIDEO TEST ADDED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
w00tzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w00tzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Empire Apex 2, First impressions VIDEO TEST ADDED
    Posted: 23 August 2012 at 8:10am
Any measurements on the grooves on the tip of the barrel?

I'm looking to have a barrel made to fit the tip.

What are the groove depths and spacings?
Yequan View Drop Down
Die spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yequan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:32pm
Tho I have this problem, my A5 is currently working with a SR 9-inch floating guard equipment. Opening is about 2 or 2.5 inches wide (just a guess, I now close my gun did not, update soon), how wide APEX2 iceberg.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 2:23pm
The Apex will work with any barrel, if you are willing to do the modifications needed for it to fit.

The older style Apex 1 tip is easier for these mods as the tolerances aren't as tight. (the old one sat below the barrel opening, whereas the Apex 2 sits RIGHT on the edge... )If you are off at all with your tape/o-ring mod, it will cause a "speed bump" and most likely break paint or cause a strange flight path.

Here are pictures of my first attempt at building a tape/o-ring mod to apply my Apex 2 tip to a regular barrel (smart parts 2 piece)

I know you are thinking "wow, that looks great". Except it sucked. In order to pull off the tip, you have to PULL it forward, and since the tape is at the BACK of the first ridge... The round O-rings just slid off.

Well, don't pull it off... Except it sucked, and was breaking paint and shooting all over the place. So I didn't want it on there.

I fixed it by putting tape instead of o-rings for the first two which now holds it perfectly. And I put just enough tape to make it fit just right on the tip. (lots of trial and error).

But, if your into that, you can make it work and get the best of both worlds. Because the Apex tip can be turned off by pulling the lever all the way back towards you. Then it is just a regular barrel.

(me personally, I leave mine at 3 clicks all the time, when I want to change it for a trick shot I do, then just go back to 3 clicks. I NEVER turn it off, as spinning paint makes it so much more accurate...)

Many manufacturers make barrels that are already made to accept the Apex 1 or 2 barrel (any barrel made for the Apex 1 (as long as it goes far enough back to accomodate the larger size of the Apex 2) should work on both the Apex 1 tip and Apex 2 tip. But, if you buy a Apex 2 barrel, it is NOT backwards compatible to the Apex 1 tip. (as the back piece is much larger on the Apex 1.

Hope that helps, and the people that play with you will not like that you got an Apex... Just about everyone on my field has them now, as they make THAT big of a difference. Watch my other video's to see proof.
They tremble at my name...
Daemien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daemien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 11:20am
Would the Apex work with a 14" Hammerhead barrel? It's gonna be going on an Alpha Black with a Project Salvo barrel shroud. I've heard the Hammerhead barrels are accurate by themselves but if I can make it more accurate with an Apex I would do it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:16am
Well, I finally got my HD editing software in, and put together a video that really shows the difference between the stock A-5 barrel, vs All American 2 piece barrel (with and without Apex 1 tip "using a combo of the tape mod and o-ring mod to attach") vs the Apex 2 both on my original Apex 1 barrel (the way I play with it) and also with the stock 14 inch Apex 2 barrel.

Distance was 75 feet.

If you watch it on youtube, you can change the resolution to 1080HD.

Let me know what you think of this test, and video.  At the end includes game footage with 300 + foot eliminations.
David12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 7:36am
I really want to get a APEX2, but I want to get the fourteen in. I Tho this is my A5 is currently working with a floating SR9-inch guard equipment. Opening is about 2 or 2.5 inches wide (just a guess, I now close my gun did not, update soon), how wide APEX2 iceberg. It seems obvious as the original width.
zapped.
MclarenF1LM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MclarenF1LM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 7:52pm
Got a question for ya. I have a tippmann straightline on my 98 custom, and am trying to decide whether I should put an apex tip on it. Sound like a good idea? Thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 9:00am
Yes, you can remove it, but most barrels are too thin to mount it easily, you can add tape or o-rings to use them, but many companies make apex ready barrels that are the correct size.

Me personally, I like the barrel that comes with it, and don't think you need to change the barrel. The accuracy comes from being able to spin the ball. As the spin takes out the issues of non consistant paint. Which all paint isn't perfectly round, and if you don't spin the ball, then those imperfections will cause the ball to have a weird flight path... No matter the barrel it is coming out of.

So you have to spin the ball to get accuracy.
trazis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2011 at 4:00am
Sorry still kind of new to paintball just from reading this I want to make sure I'm understanding it properly before I go out and purchase the stuff

You can remove the end tip of teh apex the part that looks like a silencer and mount that on the end of a different barrel and still get the ability to curve your balls?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 11:21pm
Joseph95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2011 at 6:00pm
What size and brand is the barrel shroud you used? Looks awesome.Smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 10:18pm
I have both, one 18 inch for my alpha black, and the 14 inch for my 98 custom and A-5. They all shoot the same in my opinion, based on my testing that I did this afternoon. I'm planning on using my original apex barrel and mounting the apex 2 tip on it, as I like a really short marker. Which is easier to use in the woods for me.
Spirit2277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirit2277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2011 at 6:32am
Thanks for the info FreeEnterprise! I'm going to try the 14in because ive had it with long barrels. definitely excited about the APEX.

does anyone know if there is a significant difference in performance between the 14in and 18in barrels?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Twitchey93 Twitchey93 wrote:

Wow i really should have read this before posting my thing asking about a new barrel! Thanks man i know what im ordering!

Well, you will love it... But, your friends will HATE it...

I know when I got mine, my friends were mocking me about my "silencer"... Then I shot them at 300 feet away.

Then I did it again.

And again.

Now they all have Apex barrels on their guns, and won't play without them. It really changes your game in woodsball.
Twitchey93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twitchey93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 3:05am
Wow i really should have read this before posting my thing asking about a new barrel! Thanks man i know what im ordering!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:32am
The Apex 2 tip is 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

The original Apex tip is just under 1 3/4.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 3:10pm
I will measure the tip tonight, and let you know Spirit.

I would recommend the 14 inch. Personally I like short barrels, so I put my new apex tip on my original apex barrel.

the 18 inch is extremely long... (which if you have a shroud like the Alpha black, you would need that, but otherwise, no.
nemessis45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemessis45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 12:20pm
In your opinion which length would be best for woods ball 14" or 18" going on a x7 phenom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirit2277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 10:20am
So I slightly over estimated the gap in the floating hand guard. It is just a hair shy of 1 5/8 inches wide

Will i be able to fit the 14in APEX2 inside the hand guard? with that wide of an opening?

Edited by Spirit2277 - 25 January 2011 at 10:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirit2277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 7:00am
I've been looking for an answer to this question for a long time. I really want to get an APEX2, but I want to get the 14in. The problem I'm having tho is that MY A5 is currently equipped with an SR 9in floating hand guard. The opening is approximately 2 or 2.5 inches wide (just a guess, I'm not near my gun right now, will update soon) How wide is the tip of the APEX2. it looks significantly not as wide as the original. I'm wondering if its small enough to fit inside my floating handguard because i would like to keep that attachment equipped.

So how wide exactly is the APEX2 barrely tip?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic