FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yumm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2010 at 9:46pm
I'm on the Travinia diet. It consists of working 12 to 14 hour days on your feet all day with one meal thrown in for good measure in the middle. Dropped 20lbs in a month and a half.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 12:31am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

A) You completely missed the point of what he was saying.

Sure.

Quote B) You're dad looks like a 20 year old?

Yep. Because I have a videophone.

Quote Also, I consider myself an athlete. An athlete on a very successful rugby team at that. I eat healthy most of the time, but to think that an athlete can't eat what they enjoy as appears as an attempt to make yourself feel superior. I'd point you to Chad OchoCinco as an example of you being wrong.

If the only thing you enjoy is red meat and potatoes, you must have some seriously terrible cooks in your life.  You also have somehow confused eating healthy with eating things you don't like.  I don't know where you got that idea, and it's not true.  Yes, I happen to like vegetables, and I sometimes have meals which are not centered on a protein dish.  Oddly enough, the vast majority of the world does so too.

You have mistaken my opposition to scotchy's pretending I'm a child with a superiority complex.  That I might have, but not about diet.

Also, I know people who play college rugby.  There's a huge difference between varsity and club sports, one of those differences being that not eating well does produce the kind of difference which loses games.  OchoCinco eats what he wants, that doesn't mean he has an unbalanced diet.  It also doesn't mean that his enjoyment of McDonald's isn't affecting his body and going to come back and bite him when he's older.

Originally posted by ArthurBignose ArthurBignose wrote:

I was kidding of course...

Over the past 8 months I've dropped 64 lbs and gone from 29% body fat to 12%.  Done by hard exercise and a good diet consisting of 7-8 servings of different fruits or vegetables daily, very limited processed food (if it could be made from scratch reasonable, I did),  and constantly measured ratio of carbs/protein/fat.

Well that would take a whole lot more work than I've ever done to balance my diet.

One of the biggest things for Americans is avoiding fried foods.  About the only thing I enjoy fried are french fries, so that isn't a particularly large issue for me, but I guarantee the kids who grab everything at the grill in our dining halls aren't doing themselves any favors.
BU Engineering 2012
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 12:33am
Eat big lift big bro, I accept no other logic.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 12:35am
I'm on the eat when I have time, whatever I feel like at the moment diet. The results are mixed.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 9:15am
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Also, I know people who play college rugby.  There's a huge difference between varsity and club sports, one of those differences being that not eating well does produce the kind of difference which loses games.

Having played both, I'd 100% have to disagree with you. My workouts are JUST as hard now for a "club" sport* as they were for the football team, if not harder.

*Club insofar as funding doesn't come from the school. USAR allows collegiate rugby teams to have sponsorships, of which we have a few quite substantial ones.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 11:16am
And again, the difference is that a varsity sport will have dedicated training, nutrition, and coaching staff.  If you don't have a balanced diet, whether you're Chad OchoCinco or  Joe Shmoe, you are not performing to your maximum potential.  It's not about how hard you're working, it's about your physiological improvement, which is going to be less if you're not giving your body what it needs.  Just look at people operating on the extremes: climbing Everest, Ironman.  These guys don't fail because the pain is too much, they fail because they don't have enough of what their body needs to push on, whether it's oxygen, ATP, or water.

Also, our crew teams spends in excess of $250,000 a year, with a total of maybe $20,000 (and four full scholarships we can break up however we want.)  We payed for our $10 million boathouse entirely with donations.  Without training staff, we would be dead in the water.  Keeping athletes uninjured and returning them rapidly from injuries is virtually impossible without dedicated training staff.  It's not something that any college student has the ability to get themself through.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic