Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know you go to a prestigious university when..

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 September 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 1255
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You know you go to a prestigious university when..
    Posted: 03 November 2010 at 10:29am

Back to Top
The Reaper View Drop Down
Member
Member

Property of: Mack

Joined: 19 August 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 175
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 10:50am
lol!

Try being informed instead of just opinionated. How long before you admit that Obama was a mistake?
Back to Top
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Joined: 06 November 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5040
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 10:56am
That's how my English class is like. I have so many check pluses. The other classes are actual grades though.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Back to Top
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Joined: 20 June 2002
Location: GNV FLA
Status: Offline
Points: 11696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:24am
Oh, the coveted check plus.

The pride of middle school math tests and English comp classes everywhere.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.




Back to Top
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
back from the dead like Tupac

Joined: 24 October 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7495
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Oh, the coveted check plus.

The pride of middle school math tests and English comp classes everywhere.

I had a college english prof tell me in 2007 that she had never heard of Blackwater or contractors in Iraq and was taking some points off....WAT.
Back to Top
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
future target of fratricide

Joined: 13 October 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 1:02pm
I laugh at your liberal arts educations.

Seriously, I would already have graduated if I'd just decided to study history.
BU Engineering 2012
Back to Top
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Joined: 10 June 2002
Status: Offline
Points: 6544
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 1:13pm
You have to be kidding, Universities that do not 'grade' only OK he/she threw something together last minute 'check+'. Watching the faces of my recent classmates when a 6 page double spaced paper was required, you would think that the instructor actually wanted some individual thought brought to the paper. The whines and what if I's were classic.
Back to Top
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Joined: 12 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 12751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 1:20pm
I used to have a prof that would give out stickers on exams.  I loved it.
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I laugh at your liberal arts educations.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're suddenly like every engineer major I've talked to.

Way to be a pretentious douche.
Back to Top
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
The Savior of Christmas

Joined: 01 September 2005
Location: PRNJ
Status: Offline
Points: 5500
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I laugh at your liberal arts educations.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're suddenly like every engineer major I've talked to.

Way to be a pretentious douche.
 
Abstract algebra will kill you.
Back to Top
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Joined: 20 June 2002
Location: GNV FLA
Status: Offline
Points: 11696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I laugh at your liberal arts educations.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're suddenly like every engineer major I've talked to.
 


Pretty much.

It's usually engineering folks who use that line. The hard sciences usually don't although chemistry people can get that way sometimes.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.




Back to Top
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
future target of fratricide

Joined: 13 October 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 4:09pm
My apologies for understanding abstract concepts.

Also, I can has job pleez?


Edited by ParielIsBack - 03 November 2010 at 4:09pm
BU Engineering 2012
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Abstract algebra will kill you.

I got a 98 in Cal 2. That class obviously wasn't an attrition class like freshman physics for engineering majors, and I don't pretend that I would do that well in every class, but I'm fairly confident it's indicative that I can do well if I have the drive.
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

It's usually engineering folks who use that line. The hard sciences usually don't although chemistry people can get that way sometimes.

I only know three people in the school of natural sciences here, and only the math major acts like a snob toward liberal arts majors, and I'm pretty sure that's just because he gets straight C's in all of his LA gen-ed classes.

But if I'm going to make a general observation about majors/schools, business students are the worst. To them, higher education is all about getting a good job at the end. Since they are usually best situated for that, I'm usually able to see their foreheads while standing behind them because they have their noses so high in the air, looking down their nose at liberal arts students.

...I'm currently making a list of people who I need to sue, quite frivolously, but at high cost to them, once I get my J.D.. That display of sophistry show them how useless my philosophy degree is. 


Edited by Gatyr - 03 November 2010 at 4:20pm
Back to Top
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
future target of fratricide

Joined: 13 October 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 7:54pm
My issue is not with LA majors in general, to be honest.

It's with LA majors here, who can essentially skate by and get a 3.5 while engineers have to complete 50% more credits and don't have the ridiculously low standards for work that I've encountered in my writing and history classes.  Four credits in engineering is 6-8 hours a week of class, with a similar number of hours outside, but four credits in history is 3-4 hours of class and an hour or two of reading (which is just so hard) a week.

I can't really speak for anything outside the history department, because that's the only one I've taken 300 level classes in, but it seems to me that the reason people are struggling to find jobs with their LA degrees is because they failed to apply themselves and actually learn something.
BU Engineering 2012
Back to Top
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
And my axe...

Joined: 21 May 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6831
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:09pm

My major will be business, but I don't have any illusions of big money in it. My hope is to go for a JD when I finish my bachelor's, but even then, there aren't any get rich quick solutions in school anymore.

I think, depending on how the economy moves, we can all plan on doing at least a small amount of struggling to find a good job, regardless of degree.
 
My friends range anywhere from nursing, to pre med, law, several business majors, and a couple of photography students.
 
The only people who really annoy me on their way through schools are the nursing students. For whatever reason, two months in to school, they diagnose you on everything, insist on using long medical terms instead of saying "fever" like the rest of us, and correct you on anything you say remotely regarding the human anatomy.
 
Otherwise, I never talk school with my friends, unless it's something interesting that I've learned.
 
Gatyr-I wanted to do philosphy as a major for my pre law education, but just couldn't get into it like I thought I was going to. It's alot of fun to study though, certainly makes you look at conversation differently.
Back to Top
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 September 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 1255
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

My issue is not with LA majors in general, to be honest.

It's with LA majors here, who can essentially skate by and get a 3.5 while engineers have to complete 50% more credits and don't have the ridiculously low standards for work that I've encountered in my writing and history classes.  Four credits in engineering is 6-8 hours a week of class, with a similar number of hours outside, but four credits in history is 3-4 hours of class and an hour or two of reading (which is just so hard) a week.

I can't really speak for anything outside the history department, because that's the only one I've taken 300 level classes in, but it seems to me that the reason people are struggling to find jobs with their LA degrees is because they failed to apply themselves and actually learn something.

And it will pay off when you get a decent job out of school and they have to go to grad school in order to do anything.  Quit whining.
Back to Top
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
future target of fratricide

Joined: 13 October 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:11pm
If you think I'm whining, well, that's fine.  Maybe I am, and just can't recognize it.

This is what's wrong with the education system in this country.  Too many idiots, too much money, not enough actual thought.
BU Engineering 2012
Back to Top
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Joined: 06 July 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Status: Offline
Points: 10299
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

My apologies for understanding abstract concepts.

Also, I can has job pleez?

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

It's with LA majors here, who can essentially skate by and get a 3.5 while engineers have to complete 50% more credits and don't have the ridiculously low standards for work that I've encountered in my writing and history classes.

...but it seems to me that the reason people are struggling to find jobs with their LA degrees is because they failed to apply themselves and actually learn something.

First, I never realized you were so arrogant. This is slightly disconcerting. You're smart, for sure, but apparently not smart enough to realize that getting into and doing well in a competitive major/school doesn't entitle you to be so condescending.

Second, you jest, but the last line in your first post pretty accurately reflects the grasp engineering students around me have on the English language. That doesn't really mean anything, it's just an aside that annoys the hell out of me given how they treat me when they learn my major.

The problem, though, isn't the degree or course material itself (I guarantee you a course on the British Empiricists could be made to be just as hard as any heat transfer or ---dynamics class), it's the fact that so many people fall back on liberal arts majors. This happens for two reasons: 1) more people want to enroll in in the school of engineering and business, so the schools put in place measures to weed out the weak/non-committed by making everything much harder than it needs to be, which causes 2) the kids who don't want to face going into the real world to fall back onto a major that isn't as competitive.

These students wind up being noncommittal and don't apply themselves. However, these students would have been the same way if universities didn't make entry into engineering programs so hard. Their study habits aren't indicative of anything except their will or desire to apply themselves, and don't reflect anything about those of us who work hard.

The jobs thing doesn't have to do with learning anything, though. Engineering students are taught to DO something, and it's a something that always needs to be done; liberal arts courses typically just teach something (though that would be different if schools needed to decrease enrollment in a program), and it's a something that can be found in a book (some majors within LA schools actually teach how to think critically/reason, but that's not usually conducive to doing well in a bureaucracy unless you are at the top...something you won't be with just a BA in Philosophy).
Back to Top
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Joined: 20 June 2002
Location: GNV FLA
Status: Offline
Points: 11696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:27pm
I was a major nobody liked and I'm now doing research nobody cares about. 

I respect and understand my lowly position at the bottom of the academic food chain. 


Edited by agentwhale007 - 03 November 2010 at 9:28pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.




Back to Top
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
oxymoran

Joined: 21 May 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 61636
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:38pm
All my friends are photography majors and i'm a publication design major
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.