Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know you go to a prestigious university when..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 7:20pm
Some people at the place I work seem to be very arrogant and holier than thou, but maybe it is just me.

They were engineering students and are fresh out of college with their Biomedical engineer degrees. Just the way they talk to me is like "serve me my food you lowly peon"
Que pasa?

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Implication that you had "realized" something about me, at some point. Note: synonyms for realized include "know".

Implied (not very strongly, but meh), but not firmly supported by logic or semantics. I said "I never realized you were so arrogant;" the only thing you can logically take from that statement is that I had not yet made an observation of your arrogance.  There is a huge gap in between realizing and having realized something before that you can't seem to appreciate.

However, I'll concede that I have realized things about you before. I do it every time you post, if only because I realize that you posted something on the forum. The problem remains, though, that there is no necessary connection between realization and prior knowledge (as you have indicated you believe).  This is apparent when you are, let's pretend, standing in line at a grocery store and you realize that the person working the cash register, who you have never met, seen, or come into contact with before, is physically handicapped. If there was some a priori connection between realization and prior knowledge, then you would have known something about that person who you have never seen, met, or come into contact with before.

Let's pretend further that you frequent that store and have seen that cashier plenty of times before, but never noticed his physical handicap because his left shin was blown off by a Japanese machine gun in WW2, and his legs were always behind some counter, hidden away from view. One day you see him walking down and aisle and realize he is using a prosthetic limb beneath his left knee. Later, you tell your friend about it. Is a proper response "DON'T PRETEND YOU KNOW HIM," or is it silly for your friend to think that you believed you knew some guy simply because you had looked at him a few times?

The burden of proof is on you to show the connection between (and not the implication of) "I never realized..." and (to) "I know you." You've failed thus far.
Quote Apparently your semantics are wrong.  Perhaps because you made them up.

Says the guy who used a thesaurus to show that realizing something means knowing beforehand. Oh you.
Quote As I said, I have no experience at other schools.

So you recognize that you can't actually judge other schools/majors, but you still defend your arrogant statements because you have anecdotal evidence of something.
Quote The difference is that liberal arts is by definition easy, so that people can "find out what they want to do in life"

...what? Is that really what you believe liberal arts to mean?
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:17pm
It is extremely upsetting to me how many students miss the primary point of higher academics. 

Pariel is one of them...

/Radiology-Pre-Med student 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

It is extremely upsetting to me how many students miss the primary point of higher academics. 

Pariel is one of them...

/Radiology-Pre-Med student 

The point was to say I have a Bachelors.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 12:28am
On a side note, I was always excellent in writing and language arts my entire life. From first grade spelling, to 12th grade brit lit I was always above average in writing. I could write an awesome essay in highschool, something that paid off with a few scholarships (worth about $1500 combined, but im not complaining).

Since I have gotten to my fancypants engineering school, my writing skills rotted away somewhere. I took two humanities courses last year, and one history class this year. Its like I completely forgot how to write. The citation errors were horrible, and my papers overall were bad. Myself in 12th grade could easily make a laughingstock of my current abilities. The lowest grade I got so far on a paper was a B+. Yay for engineers not needing proper grammar.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 12:35am
I go to a private, small liberal arts college..... for a double major in  Economics and Marketing with a minor in Spanish.

Honestly, college is as hard as you want it to be. I know people at all types of schools that get by with easy classes. They specifically form schedules around specific professors, not what is best.

One thing that I notice people say is that liberal arts colleges produce more rounded students. Comparing my first year with my friend at Ohio State University, it is vastly different. He was able to jump right into some engineering classes by his second quarter (OSU is still on quarters, but theyre switching and totally scewing people over probably). 

He wont get many of the diverse classes that we have that are mandatory.

Also, with the whole certain majors being harder thing, lies. It is as hard as you make it, like previously said.
Im taking Intermediate Micro 301 at the moment and expected to struggle exceptionally since i skipped 101/102 because of AP. It is regarded as one of the toughest classes at BW because of the professor. But, i consider my Hispanic Lit 275 class as my hardest, but its making me more rounded as well. I was always able to do good in english classes and classes involving poetry/short stories/etc. But, imagine that all in spanish... its rough. None of our grades besides one essay are known.  All I know is im doing "good", which I have no idea what means since the dra. hasn't shown us much.

But, writing multiple critiques and analysis on poems, plays, short stories and novels IN spanish definitely improves my spanish abilities, but also my understanding of writing/literary elements. Another friend is taking some spanish classes at another college and it doesn't even offer a class like this.

Its definitely pro/con situations a lot of times. If you choose the easier route, you may get a higher GPA. Choose the harder route, you can challenge and better yourself. Its up to the person. 

Edited by MeanMan - 06 November 2010 at 12:39am

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 12:55am
Pariells, this is what I do everyday.

Pick up a camera, find yourself a model and see how well you do.

I completely agree with you that engineering is a tough field; if you aren't inclined to do it. I was a physics major up until this semester, the concepts and ideas in physics was easy for me, the math is what got me. So I changed to a double major in business and fine arts. I figured out physics wasn't the field for me because I wan't enjoying what I was doing at all. I'm not mathematically inclined enough to be a great physicist. I have a feeling if you picked up a camera, I could come up with a better photo series than you. We each are inclined for different things. Until you match me in photos, and whale in journalism, or jmac in cooking, don't be condescending.

I also admit that you will probably have an easier time finding work as an engineer than I will as a portraiture and fashion photographer. I'm not really bothered by that. I also admit that there are plenty of people who go into Art, English, etc, because they think it will be easy. More often than not, they don't make it very far. If they do, all that proves is that there are some crappy writers and artists in the world.

Edit: I do respect the fact that you can do the math and various other things to be an engineer. I was not able to do it, it was too hard for me, because I'm not as mathematically inclined as you are, evidently.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 06 November 2010 at 12:59am
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 6:04am
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

I go to a private, small liberal arts college..... for a double major in  Economics and Marketing with a minor in Spanish.

That is an amazing and marketable combo. The Spanish minor alone will add at least 6k to any job you're looking at if it has customer interaction.

I wish I was taught a second language at a young age.

When I have kids they will learn spanish by the time they are five. It's a great investment.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 1:41pm
Sneaky, can I meet her? Big smile
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Sneaky, can I meet her? Big smile
The job certainly has it's perks. ;)

Forum Vice President
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

This is from someone who knows very little about professional photography but two things... Why is the top of her head cut off and why can you see the flash off her forehead and shoulder?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

This is from someone who knows very little about professional photography but two things... Why is the top of her head cut off and why can you see the flash off her forehead and shoulder?
The flash, because for some reason or another, that's what she wanted. And the partial decapitation, because I may or may not have been hung over as I was doing the editing. Embarrassed

Edit: sidenote, that flash highlight also helps add a three dimensional feel to the photo, having a good sense of the highlight and lowlights adds depth to the photo, so it doesn't look flat and boring. Her face needs a bit more editing to smooth out the gradient, I'll give you that.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 06 November 2010 at 7:34pm

Forum Vice President
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 8:16pm
You look like you've got some impressive talent with portrait work, Sneaky. Just so you know. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

.The only people in school I was arrogant about were the ones that didn't show up for class (or came in hung over/drunk/high), never turned in homework, were always "sick" on test days and then whined about their grades.
When I was a finance major taking intro business courses it seemed like that was the entire class population (to me). I hated it so bad.

*edit* ha, daylight savings caused me to post before mack even though I posted after.

Edited by mbro - 07 November 2010 at 1:24am

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 1:45am
Business majors are supposed to be arrogant?  I've been doin' it wrong.

The only people in school I was arrogant about were the ones that didn't show up for class (or came in hung over/drunk/high), never turned in homework, were always "sick" on test days and then whined about their grades.

Granted, once I moved beyond the basic core classes I didn't have to deal with them any more.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 6:12am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

You look like you've got some impressive talent with portrait work, Sneaky. Just so you know. 
Thanks. Big smile

Forum Vice President
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 12:26pm
That Daylight Savings Time glitch is phenomenal. We must remember that, and figure out a way to abuse it by this time next year.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 1:10pm
Why wait till next year when we can abuse it much sooner on the switch back?
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 6:06pm
It's spring forward so I don't think it would work.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Why wait till next year when we can abuse it much sooner on the switch back?

Fail.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic