Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know you go to a prestigious university when..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

If you think I'm whining, well, that's fine.  Maybe I am, and just can't recognize it.

This is what's wrong with the education system in this country.  Too many idiots, too much money, not enough actual thought.

Thought i'd add some food for thought into the mix...

After 4 years of obtaining a Liberal Arts degree, I have been assessed to be an Engineering officer for the Army. So i still have the title of an Engineer, or possibly even a Combat Engineer depending on availability, but i didn't have to waste more of my time getting a degree in engineering.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

But if I'm going to make a general observation about majors/schools, business students are the worst. To them, higher education is all about getting a good job at the end. Since they are usually best situated for that, I'm usually able to see their foreheads while standing behind them because they have their noses so high in the air, looking down their nose at liberal arts students. ...I'm currently making a list of people who I need to sue, quite frivolously, but at high cost to them, once I get my J.D.. That display of sophistry show them how useless my philosophy degree is. 
Oh jesus christ this.

Business students and the profs were the reason I switched from finance to legal studies. Pompous asses all around. I had profs teaching business presentation where they discussed business dress requirements while wearing a bolo tie and a tan corduroy jacket with olive green corduroy pants, to a prof teaching business communication by using powerpoint slides with paragraphs of text on them. Then of course they wouldn't require attendance, they would post the powerpoints on the online school site, and then they would give a study guide to the test. So nobody would show up, they'd occasionally turn in the retarded fake email assignments and then they would curve the grade so everyone got an A. That's a business environment?

That made me so made I went to an actual major that was interesting, not curved and required original thought and the ability to defend your opinion. I enjoyed every minute of my 300 and 400 level law classes.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 1:33am
 Snerk. One of the worst classes I had to take was basic electronics. It was amazingly boring, taught by a professor that used every stereotypical bad powerpoint trick in the book. Every single class session was this guy going through a 4 hour powerpoint presentation and reading the text on the screen word for word...

Anyway, the homework for this class was just as lazy. The only requirement was X amount of homework assignments from the text had to be done by the last day of class. The teacher apparently didn't notice this was a shocking amount of stuff, something like 50 questions per chapter, and not just "find the answer" questions, more like "Calculate the resistance voltage and amperage for 20 points on this schematic" questions.

I was way behind, so I spent about 3 days solid busting my hump to finish these things, finally on the last day we turn in our homework notebooks...And the guy just flips through them. I mean literally does the finger-flip thing with the pages to see how much "stuff" is in there before just checking them off. Either you did enough "stuff" or you didn't do any "stuff".

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, two weeks after I got out of that class, the professor keeled over of a heart attack. Which made me feel really bad for trashing his teaching style beforehand....

Edited by Enos Shenk - 04 November 2010 at 1:43am
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 2:19am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I laugh at your liberal arts educations.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're suddenly like every engineer major I've talked to.

Pretty much.

It's usually engineering folks who use that line. The hard sciences usually don't although chemistry people can get that way sometimes.

I don't think I've ever mocked or thought less of a student for their major.  The only time I make any voice about "ooh how hard engineers have it" is when my friends make the mistake of complaining about how hard THEY have it. 

But I can't deny, in our little engineering covens, most non-hard science majors are roundly bashed whenever we hear them complaining about how hard their courses are. It's not because we feel like we're better then them, its out of the sheer resentment bred by weekly all-nighters, and studying all the time, while seeing well-rested students who seem to be able to goof off and get good grades. Heck, last week, walking back to my dorm at 6 in the morning after a week averaging 3 hours of sleep a night, I felt like punching anyone in the face who was smiling. Are we in the wrong? Without question, but we do it to feel a little better.

But yeah, engineering students who make like they are better then everyone else annoy the hell out of me.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 1:06pm
I aggree with Darur.

I go to an engineering school, where most people are either archies, engineers, and a few IT's and stuff. Most of the kids on the sports teams are either foreign, or wayy out of state, going on full rides for Business Majors.

Regardless, I didnt hate on anyone for being of 'a lesser major' than me. Part of it is im going for low level engineering/teaching whereas many of my friends are ME's and archies. The only time where I was like "eff your classes, im taking xyzabc" was when the IT majors would complain that their 098 math classes, astronomy, and humanities 101 classes were too hard. Perhaps it was because they partied until three on a nightly basis.

I would love to take some 'fun' classes I might enjoy.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 1:07pm

First, I never realized you were so arrogant. This is slightly disconcerting. You're smart, for sure, but apparently not smart enough to realize that getting into and doing well in a competitive major/school doesn't entitle you to be so condescending.

I'm not in a competitive school.  Given my experience, engineering isn't particularly competitive either.

If telling people they need to apply themselves is condescending, you need to toughen up a little.

Also, don't pretend like you know me.  This is the internet.  I guarantee if you saw my GPA you would take back what you said.  And if you met me, you'd probably think that you were right the first time.
BU Engineering 2012
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 2:55pm

If telling people they need to apply themselves is condescending, you need to toughen up a little.

Also, don't pretend like you know me.

That isn't what bothered me, because people do need to apply themselves if they are going to spend so much money on an education. What bothered me is you said, without qualification, liberal arts educations make you laugh.

So you either find the concept of a liberal arts degree genuinely funny, as people find comedians funny, or you were expressing your disdain for a liberal arts education by mentioning how laughably easy/shorter the degree plan is.

What does condescension have to do with toughening up, though? You didn't threaten, scare, intimidate, or do anything signifying my weakness, nor did I respond in such a way that would warrant a necessity for toughening up, so why the comment? And I didn't pretend to know you, I said I had never realized one of your traits; observation/realization != knowing, so how can me NOT realizing something about you indicate that I DO know you?

Apparently semantics isn't one of the abstract concepts you need to be apologetic for knowing about.
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:16pm
BA/BS's are srs bizness
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:20pm
Gatyr, like I said in chat a while back: Told you so. LOL
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:23pm
The idea of a check plus just makes me think of some design schools that are just pass or fail, no percentages of failure/ passing. Great system for that, awful for nearly anything else
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 10:00pm

My apologies for understanding abstract concepts.

Abstract concepts?  Like Laws and equations?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 10:57pm
Generally speaking, your education will not get you a job.

What gets you a job is the whole package; what you bring to the table, how you articulate it, and how you can sell yourself as appropriate to the demands of the position.

Education is just part of what you bring in there. If you have four years of school but no real life experiences a lot of things will be closed glyph. An education on top of other qualities, however, is a great asset. I have several friends who trapped themselves into believing that a piece of paper with BA or BS on it would mean a job, only to be disappointed.

Do not let your learning be limited to your education. You wouldn't go to the gym and only work on a single muscle group, or only ever play the same song, or practice the same play. Being well rounded will take you farther than a higher education with nothing else.

I hav
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 9:46am

... you were expressing your disdain for a liberal arts education by mentioning how laughably easy/shorter the degree plan is.

What does condescension have to do with toughening up, though? You didn't threaten, scare, intimidate, or do anything signifying my weakness, nor did I respond in such a way that would warrant a necessity for toughening up, so why the comment? And I didn't pretend to know you, I said I had never realized one of your traits; observation/realization != knowing, so how can me NOT realizing something about you indicate that I DO know you?

Apparently semantics isn't one of the abstract concepts you need to be apologetic for knowing about.

First, I never realized you were so arrogant.

Implication that you had "realized" something about me, at some point. Note: synonyms for realized include "know".

Apparently your semantics are wrong.  Perhaps because you made them up.

I don't generally include the sciences or math in what I think of as the liberal arts (oh God I've changed the definition! What a terrible shame!), because I generally find students in both have developed actual useful skills.

When the standard for "difficult" in a course is having to write a five or ten page paper,  I don't hesitate to say that I disdain that "education".  It's just a sign that not applying oneself and wasting (at least at my school) a couple hundred thousand dollars doesn't help anyone, except the profit that this university makes.

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Generally speaking, your education will not get you a job.

Getting a job in the aerospace field without an engineering degree, or having worked for a decade or so as a military aviator, is virtually impossible.  Unless it's a job unrelated to design, like business.  Then again, my sister got a degree in Islamic Art, and she's doing just fine in the business world.

Quote Do not let your learning be limited to your education.

I agree with that 100%.  I would honestly say I learn more outside of school than in it, even at this level.  It may be related to the fact that since I was little, I haven't watched TV and instead read voraciously.
BU Engineering 2012
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 10:02am
Quote Getting a job in the aerospace field without an engineering degree, or having worked for a decade or so as a military aviator, is virtually impossible.  Unless it's a job unrelated to design, like business.  Then again, my sister got a degree in Islamic Art, and she's doing just fine in the business world.

Oh, absolutely. But someone with a degree in aerospace engineering who is still a complete mouth breather probably will still be less competitive in finding a job. A specific education - or a certain level of education in general - might absolutely be a prerequisite for a given job, but it's generally not sufficient in and of itself.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 10:07am

actual useful skills.

Useful to whom? 

Quote When the standard for "difficult" in a course is having to write a five or ten page paper,

Wouldn't that depend some on how the paper is graded? 

And further points here, how do you think society would be changed if everyone who went to higher education did only an engineering course of studies? I know you don't seem to like the other areas, and think they are a waste (It's always funny to me when people enrolled in a university hop on the anti-intellectualism train), but do they at least not contribute something to society? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 10:22am

It's just a sign that not applying oneself 

Nearly any major can be skirted through without application. Nearly any major can be done in a way where classes are picked to get through easy. If you're naturally good at math, as a few people I've known are, engineering school is a breeze. The kid I lived with freshman year quit engineering - at a school known for its program - because it wasn't challenging him. 

However, nearly any major can have people who fight hard to learn as much as they can, to take it all in, and pick classes that they know will challenge them and make them better educated. 

There is no magical "harder" major at the undergraduate level. 

And if you're going to speak on application, I've also got a friend who was an art history major. Sounds useless, but she worked hard in her courses, did a ton of local internships, did study-abroad trips, and now works at a museum in Barcelona as a restoration analysts. 

Application has everything to do with the person, nothing to do with the area of study. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 05 November 2010 at 10:24am

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 10:52am

EFFING DAWT.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 11:31am

Useful to whom?

The ability to write an analytical paper is not a skill that anyone should be without.  Pretending it's the only skill someone would need is just as silly.

Quote Wouldn't that depend some on how the paper is graded?

Sure.  But I've taken more than my share of liberal arts classes given that I'm an engineer, and when I can write a B+ paper in the four hours before it's due in one of the hardest courses in our history department, it doesn't exactly push the point that it's difficult.

As I said, I have no experience at other schools.  But I have a pretty wide viewpoint of my own given the variety of majors I interact with on a regular basis.

Quote And further points here, how do you think society would be changed if everyone who went to higher education did only an engineering course of studies? I know you don't seem to like the other areas, and think they are a waste (It's always funny to me when people enrolled in a university hop on the anti-intellectualism train), but do they at least not contribute something to society? 

And here you've put words in my mouth.  Liberal arts does not cover the entire arena of education, and the single skill it teaches is "thinking analytically".  Hint: everyone else has to figure out how to think analytically too.

Nearly any major can be skirted through without application. Nearly any major can be done in a way where classes are picked to get through easy. If you're naturally good at math, as a few people I've known are, engineering school is a breeze. The kid I lived with freshman year quit engineering - at a school known for its program - because it wasn't challenging him.

Sure, passing college is pretty easy.  The difference is that liberal arts is by definition easy, so that people can "find out what they want to do in life".  Last time I checked, drinking, smoking pot and chasing women is not a recognized profession.  Are there engineers who do the same? Absolutely.  But the amount of work in engineering is significant enough that most people do not.

I don't care how good you are at math, the actual work load for engineering is higher than for liberal arts.  It's not a question of how smart one is (although that can come in handy), it's a question of how hard one is willing to work.  I wouldn't hesitate to say I know some of the most naturally mathematically skilled college students in the country, and for some reason MIT is still hard for them.  Meanwhile, my friends studying at Harvard say that the place is a breeze.  Coincidence? Perhaps.  But given that I come from a town with a very high degree of education, and spend a lot of time with people who are internationally recognized as having some of the best education this country has to offer, I'd say that I have a pretty good grasp of the situation.

Quote However, nearly any major can have people who fight hard to learn as much as they can, to take it all in, and pick classes that they know will challenge them and make them better educated. 

Perhaps not.  But there is certainly a set of majors which are easier to skate through than others.  Most of these tend to be in the liberal arts.

Quote And if you're going to speak on application, I've also got a friend who was an art history major. Sounds useless, but she worked hard in her courses, did a ton of local internships, did study-abroad trips, and now works at a museum in Barcelona as a restoration analysts.

As I said, my sister has been very successful with her liberal arts degree.  I don't doubt that it's possible.  But what I have seen is a whole lot of people wasting a lot of money and time so that they can drink four days a week.

Quote Application has everything to do with the person, nothing to do with the area of study.

I absolutely agree.  The distinct correlation between liberal arts and the students who do the least certainly exists at my school, though, if not at others.  Given my knowledge of other institutions of higher education in this country, I'd be surprised if it wasn't true in general.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 05 November 2010 at 11:32am
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 6:35pm

Pretending it's the only skill someone would need is just as silly.

Which major exists where that is the only skill? 

It's like saying that an engineering student can only do equations. Do you only do equations? Because a computer can do equations. 

Quote in one of the hardest courses in our history department

I'll go ahead and call shenanigans on that. Either that, or you don't have a very good history department. It's reflective more of the program than of the area of study. 

Quote As I said, I have no experience at other schools.

That is very clear. 

Quote But I have a pretty wide viewpoint of my own given the variety of majors I interact with on a regular basis.

At your one school and limited scope of study, yes. 

That's comparative to me saying that I have a pretty wide view of French cuisine because I had a croissant once. 

Quote Hint: everyone else has to figure out how to think analytically too.

One, you're incorrect in thinking that "thinking critically" is all liberal arts education is good for. It would be like me saying, again, that all you are good for is crunching numbers. Engineering is just being a human calculator, easily replaceable. 

Two, how do you think, over time, the level of "analytical thinking" got involved in your education? 

Three, the level of "analytical thinking" needed for engineering is nothing close to that needed for something like law. You can pretend it does. And that is pretty cute, that you said you are good at abstract thought, when you are a major which involves some of the least amount of it. 

Quote The difference is that liberal arts is by definition easy,

If one wishes to make it easy, yes. 

Quote so that people can "find out what they want to do in life".

It's downright adorable that you think that is correct. 

Quote Last time I checked, drinking, smoking pot and chasing women is not a recognized profession.

And that has what to do with anything? 

Quote But the amount of work in engineering is significant enough that most people do not.

This is not the case in almost every university I've had experience with. Again, you are falling victim to a limited scope.  

Quote the actual work load for engineering is higher than for liberal arts.

If you make it that way, yes. If you want to put in the work, it is there to be done. 

Quote Coincidence? Perhaps.

Anecdote? Yes. 

Quote I'd say that I have a pretty good grasp of the situation.

I'd say not so much. There is a reason that universities mandate that students take classes outside of their required track. It involves near-centuries of established educational theory, none of which you seem familiar with. 

Quote But there is certainly a set of majors which are easier to skate through than others.

No doubt. But is that the fault of the area of study, and enough to degrade those who choose to study an area and not skirt by? 

Quote I have seen is a whole lot of people wasting a lot of money and time so that they can drink four days a week.

I've seen the same thing with engineers at an engineering heavy school. And the opposite at a mostly liberal arts institution. Go figure. 

Again I'll also: Useful to whom? Are you saying that liberal arts are not useful to society? Should we be a society of only engineers? 

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 7:16pm

Last time I checked, drinking, smoking pot and chasing women is not a recognized profession.

I have a class at an engineering school that has been rated #1 in the country for something like 11 years in a row.  Many of my close friends go to that school.  I have seen first hand that all of those activities you listed above are just as prevalent at the engineering school as they are at the state school that I spend the other half of my time at.  There are some days I get the feeling that those activities are even more prevalent at the engineering school.  To say that most engineers don't drink or chase women because they are too busy screwing around with Maple and MATLAB is absurd.  Just because you and your friends are boring doesn't mean everyone else studying engineering is.  

To be honest, you are the first engineering student from which I have heard such arrogant, better than you, opinions regarding other fields of study, and I know a ton of engineering students.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic