Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know you go to a prestigious university when..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 4:29pm

So from what I gathered from this thread...

I am more elite, more intelligent, and more successful than all of you rapscallions because I go to an engineering school.

Okay, cool beans. The rest of you should continue your careers at McDonalds and Imagination Land while I earn $250,000. Stop wasting my air.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

So how those liberal arts majors going for you guys?Oh wait, I forgot no one has a liberal arts degree.  My bad.

I'm in Interactive Arts and Technology, focussing on Media Arts and Design...so.....

Fine arts don't exist in Canada?

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

It's also worth pointing out that it doesn't matter if I'm involved in liberal arts or not, I still don't think it's a lesser study. 

Regardless of your opinion, the reality on this forum strongly supports the fact that a liberal arts degree is not a useful tool in the modern world.  Unless you want to guarantee that you have to move onto higher education to get a job, which people certainly do.

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Wanna hammer out your definition of 'liberal arts' then?

My program is Criminology and Criminal Justice with a concentration in sociology and a minor in political science- my degree will be a mix of psychology, sociology, and law, with electives in history and philosophy, and a minor in political science. Would you consider my program to be a 'liberal arts' degree? I would.

No, it's a professional degree (criminology/criminal justice), with liberal arts classes.  That's what I expect of every student.  My point is not that liberal arts are useless, it's that studying them alone is useless.

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

So from what I gathered from this thread...

I am more elite, more intelligent, and more successful than all of you rapscallions because I go to an engineering school.

Okay, cool beans. The rest of you should continue your careers at McDonalds and Imagination Land while I earn $250,000. Stop wasting my air.

Excellent work sir!  You have cut to the core of my argument concisely.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 01 February 2011 at 5:00pm
BU Engineering 2012
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 5:17pm
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by bravecoward bravecoward wrote:

All my friends are photography majors and i'm a publication design major
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 12:04am
Sorry, a 'professional degree'? What profession does a degree in criminology and criminal justice prepare me for? To be a 'criminologist', you generally need a doctorate in criminology or in specific subsets of closely related fields. I've learned nothing practical about how to be a police officer, judge, lawyer, psychologist, parole officer, social worker, case manager, correctional officer, or what have you. What I DO have is a rather broad based education that provides a sound academic foundation for specific training I might receive at a later date that would qualify me for specific jobs.

Any one of those jobs I mentioned are fairly well suited to someone with my degree, but I consider a 'professional degree' to be one that comes with a substantial portion of the requirements to enter into a regulated profession such as law, medicine, engineering, or what have you. To do just about anything meaningful with my education I'll require substantial further training. I think my education will make that training easier and will make it stick more, and possibly give me a leg up in career progression, but if you consider what I'm taking to be a 'professional degree', you're very mistaken about the nature of my program.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 8:13am
If you want to call it liberal arts, more power to you.  But there's a whole field designed for people with criminal justice degrees, so I don't see how that's the case.

For that matter, you wouldn't be any more wrong than the people in here who can't tell the difference between the fine arts and liberal arts.  At least you have a legitimate argument that your degree is a liberal arts degree.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure I'm an aerospace engineering major with a double minor in American History and Political Science.  My point has never been that people should ignore the liberal arts.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 02 February 2011 at 8:15am
BU Engineering 2012
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 8:25am
You certainly backed down from your original levels of smug once people started calling you out on it. 

And again, I don't understand the fascination with making sure people know they don't have a liberal arts degree. It doesn't matter. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2011 at 7:00pm
I don't have a fascination with it, I'm simply amazed by the number of people in this thread who think they have a liberal arts degree, yet clearly do not.  If I remember correctly, we're at borderline two (which were Bri, and MeanMan.)  Both of whom have significant professional aspects (marketing and criminology) in their degrees.

If you're going to argue with me, don't base it on the fact that you think you have a liberal arts degree, when even the the broadest definitions of the term don't include our major.

I still think liberal arts are easier.  Maybe that's just for me, I don't know.  But as I said, if I'd gone with a history or political science degree, I would have graduated a full year earlier.  I think that says a lot about the relative work involved.
BU Engineering 2012
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2011 at 1:44am
You have more homework.  Big deal.  No one cares, move along.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic