Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
The Reaper View Drop Down

Property of: Mack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Politics
    Posted: 25 October 2010 at 10:04am
This is a politics thread, you know the rules, participate if want, but no spamming, or name calling.

First off, look at Mediamatters.org website... They have gone off the deep end. Guess, a huge donation from Soros has consequences.

More than 3/4 of the stories right now are bashing either Fox or Glenn Beck...

No matter what your political feelings are, that is going to destroy their "business"... Maybe a little "balance" would be in order?

Course with the Juan Williams flap that NPR just stepped in (during fundraising time) it is no wonder. The hypocrisy is astounding. To fire Juan for stating his feelings, when other NPR personalities do the same daily, and have called for political figures and their children to die from aids, as well as bashing the tea party daily, and promoting Bush hate speech...

Amazing double standard. But, Soros just gave NPR 1.8 million to hire reporters... No way these two things are tied?... right?...

anyway, I saw a political ad that I thought pretty much nailed the current economic crisis. And who exactly is to blame for it...

What do you think?

Try being informed instead of just opinionated. How long before you admit that Obama was a mistake?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 10:44am
I think Fox News is a terrible, disingenuous news organization.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:08am
I think I'm going to have my work cut out for me when I get home from work. 

Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I think I'm going to have my work cut out for me when I get home from work. 
  It's like having 2 jobs isn't it.

I commend him for trying to keep it all in 1 thread though, thats a step forward.

Edited by Tical3.0 - 25 October 2010 at 11:19am
I ♣ hippies.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:41am
Abortions for all!
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:57am
I'm torn on the Juan Williams firing. I tend to lean to the side of the firing being inappropriate. He had been on Fox before, and if you have a problem with it, you should let him know the first time that he cannot/should not be doing that.

He deserved a warning.

But NPR is notoriously over-careful with their image protection. There was just that whole situation of them telling their reporters they can't go to the Stewart/Colbert rally unless they are covering it for NPR, otherwise stay home or else.

That said, what Williams said was eight kinds of stupid. The 9/11 hijackers wore jeans, sneakers and button-up shirts for a reason.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 1:25pm
NPR is all over the map. Having a commentator state that someone and thier family should die of aids and not a peep. But stating something most Americans feel either overt or covertly is a no-no and gets you fired. And thier CEO state Williams should see phychiatrist, how PC was that little GEM from the CEO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 1:45pm

But, the 9/11 hijackers were all muslim... Just like the shoe bomber, panty bomber, NYC bombers (including the original World Trade center bombers) who have stated that this is only the beginning.

They are promising to shed more innocent blood...

Pretending that they haven't called us out is pretty pathetic. (although typical of political correctness).

Especially when NPR is funded by the taxpayer to a large extent. (not the 2-3% they keep saying...)

Not to mention NPR has no problem with their people opining as long at they are furthering liberal viewpoints. Juan crossed a line by saying something he FELT about muslims... Which is one of the no-no's You can do that toward Christians on NPR all day long, but not muslims...

We all heard the references to Tim McVay being "Christian" when he clearly wasn't, and stated he wasn't over and over... And yet, NPR continues to use him as an example of a "Christian" terrorist...

Let us look at what Juan said.

I mean, look, Bill, Im not a bigot. You know the kind of books Ive written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

According to NPR...

News analysts may not take personal public positions on controversial issues; doing so undermines their credibility as analysts, and thats whats happened in this situation, said Schiller in an email to NPR member stations, some of which are upset about Williams' firing.

As you all well know," she continued, "we offer views of all kinds on your air every day, but those views are expressed by those we interview not our reporters and analysts.

Why does Nina Totenberg have a job when Juan was run out of NPR?...

"She said about Sen. Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) in 1995: I think he ought to be worried about the about whats going on in the good Lords mind, because if theres retributive justice, hell get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/25/national-politically-correct-radio/#ixzz13ORWIKiB

I wonder if PBS has similar standards as NPR?...

What about Gwen?... Here she is openly mocking Palin for her 1773 comment (which was correct btw)

To most of America we see the daily bias, and ignore it, but when they fired Juan... The hypocrisy just went over the edge...

over 8,600 comments...

And NPR's servers have crashed many times from all the email bombarding them...

"Thursday was a day like none Ive experienced since coming to NPR in October 2007. Office phone lines rang non-stop like an alarm bell with no off button. Weve received more than 8,000 emails, a record with nothing a close second."

I know people have biases, but to have them on MY dime to give liberal slant is annoying. America should  not be in the business of "funding" news... PBS and NPR should be defunded and work as all other news outlets... as a business.

Try being informed instead of just opinionated. How long before you admit that Obama was a mistake?
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

And how is CNN or MSNBC any different?

Exact same standards, just different political lean.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by The Reaper The Reaper wrote:

. . . if I see people who are in Muslim garb

Muslim garb?

I wear an Oxford nearly every day. I hope people don't get nervous around me on a plane.

As for the calls to stop funding public media: While I disagree with some of the things they do sometimes, I generally think they are a positive to society. I mean, you don't see that, coming from the far right, but even conservatives on this forum have expressed enjoyment in their news coverage.

I think they tend to do more good than bad. It's certainly interesting that the talking point that both you and OS brought up is 15 years old.

And I don't like Totenberg either, for the record. If Williams got canned, Totenberg should get released too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:05pm
Good, we agree...

You want more recent...

There was this that caused a HUGE outrage, and yet, they left it up on their site, and even promoted it after it offended so many members of the Tea party like myself.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:11pm
If you guys are that worried about Muslims, you should probably just lock yourselves inside and sever all ties with the outside world until it's safe.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:14pm

There was this that caused a HUGE outrage, and yet, they left it up on their site, and even promoted it after it offended so many members of the Tea party like myself.

There is no right not to be offended. And it is clearly labeled as on opinion piece.

Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:14pm
If I was scared of Muslims I would be screwed. I am Surrounded by them... Believe it or not, they are actually quite nice. And my homie Sabir links up a discount on my Subs.
I ♣ hippies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

There is no right not to be offended. And it is clearly labeled as on opinion piece.

And Juan was clearly stating his "opinion" as well... but it was a firing offense... That is by definition a double standard.

I mean, look, Bill, Im not a bigot. You know the kind of books Ive written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

And how is CNN or MSNBC any different?

Exact same standards, just different political lean.

Did you just attempt to justify that behavior?

I agree all of them are terrible, but they aren't the same. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-9-2010/are-you-ready-for-some-midterms----msnbc-s-political-narrative

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:26pm

And Juan was clearly stating his "opinion" as well... but it was a firing offense... That is by definition a double standard.

New Animation From Independent Syndicated Columnist Mark Fiore

You can't fire someone who doesn't work for you.  

*Really, in your case, it would do you bad because it proves your beliefs about Muslims to be patently false and would be grounds for you to admit being wrong, which we all know can never be allowed to happen.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:28pm

Not really.

The difference here is that the opinion comic/slide-show/cartoon thing is posted on the NPR site, and I'm assuming that an editor in charge of the opinions section posted it with clearance from other editors or someone higher up. It is contained within the NPR mast.

Williams was on another person's show on another network voicing his opinion.

Appearance of unbiased reporting within their news departments is something they pride themselves on - to a fault at times too. They take it too far.

Like I've said, I disagree with their decisions concerning Williams and the Stewart/Colbert order.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

The politics surrounding Williams being fired aside, what he said, just on its merits, was dumb.

The 9/11 hijackers made a note of wearing neat, pressed business clothes in order to not seem suspicious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:42pm

Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

The politics surrounding Williams being fired aside, what he said, just on its merits, was dumb.

The 9/11 hijackers made a note of wearing neat, pressed business clothes in order to not seem suspicious.

You keep repeating that they were dressed like "normal"... Would focusing on people with muslim type names and running them through more security be prudent then?... IF someone at NPR suggested that, wouldn't they be fired for speaking the logic you are presenting?...

They are using political correctness against us, as they pass by the grandma or child being pulled out of line for more extreme searches... Because we can't check someone named muhammid as that wouldn't be politically correct...

The whole situation is a mess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic