FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holy crap. Trees change colors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 12:38am
A few things: 

• The Weather Channel has issued a "Frost advisory" for the area tonight. What I took that to mean is that there is imminent doom headed this way and I should seek shelter. 
  • I'll be wearing my big jacket to my 8 a.m. class tomorrow, and everyone will laugh. 
  • I've made it a habit to stomp through the leaves in the gutters on the way back to my car from work every day now. It makes me feel powerful, like a Godzilla. 
  • I've seen a tree with purple leaves. Ultra-powerful wizards, I'm sure of it. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 1:12am
refer again to facebook post about magic.

Just an insider tip.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

A few things: 

• The Weather Channel has issued a "Frost advisory" for the area tonight. What I took that to mean is that there is imminent doom headed this way and I should seek shelter. 
  • I'll be wearing my big jacket to my 8 a.m. class tomorrow, and everyone will laugh. 
  • I've made it a habit to stomp through the leaves in the gutters on the way back to my car from work every day now. It makes me feel powerful, like a Godzilla. 
  • I've seen a tree with purple leaves. Ultra-powerful wizards, I'm sure of it. 
And now it begins. Actually, this time of year, you will get several nights/weeks where the temp kind of dips down into the frost zone. Pretty much puts a sparkle on the grass, but doesn't do much more. Listen for the term Hard Frost. These are the words of doom and essentially indicate that it will get to freezing or well below and stay cold long enough to start freezing or keep frozen the earth upon which you stand.  Yes, the ground freezes and is the harbinger of cold. Really cold. Crap is going to freeze.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 20 October 2010 at 8:27am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 8:30am
Whale, a  bit of advice from someone who goes to school in a situation similar to yours. (I live somewhere indescribably hotter/more humid than where I go to school)

Don't break out the big jacket  yet.  One of the things that has always helped me the most is to put off the big guns for as long as possible. Otherwise, the next time there's a big temperature drop(and there will be), you're left without any recourse or will-to-live.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 8:26pm
On the bright side, the first frost is your sign that the insects and other annoying creatures are going to leave you alone for several months.

Forum Vice President
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

On the bright side, the first frost is your sign that the insects and other annoying creatures are going to leave you alone for several months.

Not true!

Pardon the bump, but this is relevant.

This weekend I was cooking some asparagus, which despite its tasty nature, makes the kitchen smell like ass for hours. I opened the back door to air out the funk, and after about 10 minutes, I notice that there are a swarm of things coming into my home.

Upon examination, I realize they are lady bugs. Aw, that's not bad. There are worse bugs to have visiting me in my home than something that looks awesome, eats aphids, and is a sign of good luck.

Later, I find out that these are indeed not actually lady bugs. They are some kind of freak hybrid Asian beetle that looks like a lady bug, but is actually destructive and bites people.

What. The. Hell.

I smash all the ones I can see, but they are still getting into my house somehow. And I've been told that they are around until January.

One of the things this place had as an advantage over Florida was the lack of bugs. Now, I consider that a push.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 25 October 2010 at 11:36am

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:36am
Yeah, Whale. Those things take shelter indoors (or try to) during the winter and come back out when it warms up in the spring. I still don't know how they always seem to manage to get inside lighting fixtures, then get roasted.

They also have an unpleasant odor from something they secrete.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:36am
Yeah, they start moving indoors around this time.  Don't bother trying to keep them out, it won't work.
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:43am
I'm reconsidering your manliness.

I said it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:45am
I've read on multiple sites that vacuuming is the best course of action. That is the plan from now on. 

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:51am

I've read on multiple sites that vacuuming is the best course of action. That is the plan from now on. 

Exactly what I was going to post. No point in trying to smash them all. Just keep the vacuum out, you're going to need it. Often.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 12:23pm
Odd, we get those things around here, for a month or two and then they seem to leave by the time it gets really cold.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Odd, we get those things around here, for a month or two and then they seem to leave by the time it gets really cold.

I agree they seem to die off by winter time.

And when I lived in the dorms anytime I'd see one I would just tape it down...and leave its body as a reminder to the others.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

And when I lived in the dorms anytime I'd see one I would just tape it down...and leave its body as a reminder to the others.
You scare me.
I ♣ hippies.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:18pm

PCF told me that the scent of dead ones just attracts more of them.

He could very well be lying though.

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

You scare me.

I only taped them down after I couldn't collect enough to make a shell hat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

You scare me.

I only taped them down after I couldn't collect enough to make a shell hat.

Did you have a problem with tiny Marios coming around and jumping on them, making them scoot across the floor?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:53pm
Evolutionarily, that's a very odd trait for a species to posses. IMO.

Yeah, those beetles are weird, somehow they get in through windows that are never even open at my house, and you can wake up one morning and find dozens of them (often dead for no apparent reason)all in the same spot.

Side note: if they get to be too bothersome, leave some sweet alcoholic beverage sitting out in a glass. We used wine for this trick not too long ago when we got invaded by ants, but generally a higher alcohol content, the more deadly - obviously. Bugs are attracted to the sugars, and have the same self control as a fraternity pledge member.

Forum Vice President
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 2:56pm
The trees in my courtyard are changing at different times, and some are a gradient from green to red. I took some pics, if they're any good I'll upload them.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Exactly what I was going to post. No point in trying to smash them all. Just keep the vacuum out, you're going to need it. Often.

Dust buster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic