FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holy crap. Trees change colors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:02pm
Whale: Do not use the plug in scraper. They are a cheap, crappy gimmick, and will just make things worse while it fails at working as a scraper.

Get a good, normal scraper, similar to the one pictured.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

^^^ Yes.

4' from the road will seem like a mile and half after a good snowfall and a nice solid plow crust gets pushed into the driveway.

Oh cool. Now I'm even more terrified of snow. Awesome.

I'm transferring to the University of the Bahamas.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I think you may regret the floormat descision. Rubber mats are the way to go.

I'll look into them . . . And see if they sell any rubber front-door mats. Tongue
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:25pm

Two other things to possibly have are chapstick and lotion. You will experience dryness like you never have in a few months. All that moisture that used to be in the air in Florida will be sitting at your feet in the form of frost and/or snow. Indoors it won't be much better with the heat constantly being on.

Just trying to think of all the things that I wasnt prepared for when we moved up here.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:29pm

Two other things to possibly have are chapstick and lotion.

I've already got prescription-level lotion for my hands. Even in Florida, during the winter my knuckles and area around my fingernails gets dry, cracks and bleeds unless I use the stuff about once per day. Confused

Quote Just trying to think of all the things that I wasnt prepared for when we moved up here.

You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Where in Ohio are you at again?
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:31pm
^^^^ NW Ohio. 10 miles west of Lima. Limis is on I75 between Dayton and Toledo. I'm actually live in Spencerville.  Actually smaller than the town you're in.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 08 October 2010 at 2:38pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Whale: Do not use the plug in scraper. They are a cheap, crappy gimmick, and will just make things worse while it fails at working as a scraper.

Yeah, throw it away. Applying a heating element to a frozen window is just asking to crack it. You want to scrape off the ice, not melt it.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Yeah, throw it away. Applying a heating element to a frozen window is just asking to crack it. You want to scrape off the ice, not melt it.

Even if it doesnt crack, you'll make the ice worse. Would you rather scrape off frost, or straight up ice.

Edited by choopie911 - 08 October 2010 at 3:47pm
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:47pm
I just turn my car on 15 minutes before I go like a normal person.

I then brush off the snow. After the 15 minutes windshield washer fluid can usually get the ice off.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I just turn my car on 15 minutes before I go like a normal person.I then brush off the snow. After the 15 minutes windshield washer fluid can usually get the ice off.

15 minutes is hugely uneccessary, especially since you don't live in Alaska
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:10pm
Exactly fool. Which means I don't scrape a damn thing.
Que pasa?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:15pm

Yes, you will need one, yes the snow plow will push 3-4 feet of snow in front of your driveway on top of the potential foot or two you may already have.

In most cases the driver will wait until after you have shoveled out the snow between the car and the road but before you have actually pulled out of the driveway to come by and place a four foot high wall of densely packed snow in your way.  (He will then laugh manically as he drives away.)

I recommend two shovels.  One for the house and a smaller (or folding one) for the car.  A couple of bags of sand for traction (both as extra weight and as something that can be put on the ground by the tires) is not a bad idea either.

I think you may regret the floormat descision. Rubber mats are the way to go.

This.  It is not about protecting your floormats.  It is about preventing your carpet from getting soaked and the possibility of musty smells and rusty floorboards in the long run.

Regarding the washer fluid, doesnt hurt to keep a spare botte in the car as well.

Always do this in the winter.  Depending upon conditions it is not a bad idea to have a spray bottle full of it in the car for helping with scraping as well.  (Very useful for after ice storms.)

You will possibly go through a lot of it. Also give yourself a fair amount of time to figure out the defrost system in your car on mornings where it has iced up. It apparently is science that I have yet to properly figure out.

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

4. Shovel in layers. You can slaughter your back from spending all morning shoveling, and lifting too much at a time will speed up that process 100 fold.

Some people laugh at those who stand the windshield wipers up before the snow comes. I do it to keep them from getting frozen to the glass and shewing the hell out of the rubber.

If you have to go somewhere, start the car up and let it run as you shovel. you'll be glad you did when you're done shoveling.

Everything reb said is spot on, but I really felt that the above points needed repeating.

Two other things to possibly have are chapstick and lotion. You will experience dryness like you never have in a few months. All that moisture that used to be in the air in Florida will be sitting at your feet in the form of frost and/or snow. Indoors it won't be much better with the heat constantly being on.

If you start getting colds/sinus issues excessively you may want to think about a bedroom humidifier as well.  I know a lot of people who have had problems after moving from a humid climate to a less humid one.

I just turn my car on 15 minutes before I go like a normal person.I then brush off the snow. After the 15 minutes windshield washer fluid can usually get the ice off.

15 minutes is hugely uneccessary, especially since you don't live in Alaska

Exactly fool. Which means I don't scrape a damn thing.

Exactly.  My last two vehicles had remote starts in them.  I would keep the defroster set for maximum output and (in the case of the Grand Cherokee) the driver's side seat heat turned on and just start the vehicle about a quarter hour before I wanted to leave.  I always went out to a frost-free warm car with toasty seats.  (Since I have a garage now, I haven't put the remote start in my latest vehicle.)

Edited by Mack - 08 October 2010 at 4:24pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:29pm
That's just stupid.

Are you the tools that leave your car idling when you go into stores too?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:33pm
No.

Explain why it is stupid to think ahead and ensure your vehicle is comfortable and safe to drive (i.e. entire windshield and all other windows thoroughly cleared for maximum visibility) before venturing out on to possible slick/treacherous roads in the winter.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Oh cool. Now I'm even more terrified of snow. Awesome.

I'm transferring to the University of the Bahamas.

Might be a dumb question, but have you ever driven on ice or snow? And if not, how good are you at counter steering, and generally not being an idiot? Big smile

I know we had a thread about it recently, but I forgot what kind of car you drive.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 08 October 2010 at 5:01pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:59pm
^^^ Most important thing to remember is that while four wheel drive may get you up to speed faster on ice it won't help you stop faster.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:02pm

A trick my mother in law swears by, but to be honest, I have never tried... Is to put a beach towel or other appropriately sized towel across your winsheild the night before it is supposed to sleet or ice. You tuck it under the windshield wipers and close the corners into the front doors. You have a cold,wet, icey towel in the morning, but your windshield is clear. Like I said though, never tried it as it takes too much forethought.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

No.Explain why it is stupid to think ahead and ensure your vehicle is comfortable and safe to drive (i.e. entire windshield and all other windows thoroughly cleared for maximum visibility) before venturing out on to possible slick/treacherous roads in the winter.

I'm not saying don't warm up your car. I'm saying 15 minutes is stupid. I lived in the Yukon, I grew up with -40 winters and didn't have a single snow day ever. 15 minutes isn't necessary, especially likely where you live.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:28pm
Get some good gloves Whale.

Also, spend at least $80 on good boots, and drop some good cash on nice socks.

You'll thank me later.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:35pm

No.Explain why it is stupid to think ahead and ensure your vehicle is comfortable and safe to drive (i.e. entire windshield and all other windows thoroughly cleared for maximum visibility) before venturing out on to possible slick/treacherous roads in the winter.

I'm not saying don't warm up your car. I'm saying 15 minutes is stupid. I lived in the Yukon, I grew up with -40 winters and didn't have a single snow day ever. 15 minutes isn't necessary, especially likely where you live.

15 minutes melts 90% of everything with the defrost. You come out turn on your windshield wipers and VOILA it is clear. I never scrape ice.

Do I leave it running in stores? No because I don't care if it is cold in my car. It will take 3 minutes to heat up.

Why is it so stupid to turn on the car? OMG IT IS UNNECESSARY
Que pasa?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:35pm

I live in Montana, there have been days when 15 minutes wasn't enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic