FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holy crap. Trees change colors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:09pm
Here's some pics from around Tumbler ridge last weekend, Moose Lake:

*edit*
interesting sign...

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 07 October 2010 at 10:44pm
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 11:54pm
You'll have to be sure to make a leaf pile and jump in it whale.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:06am
Who would want to go to a park where you cant molest the animals?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

We need a video of whale running on the side of the street next to the curb when it's filled with dry leaves with his knees locked and kicking to make the leaves fly.

At the end he tosses his hat in the air like Mary Tyler Moore.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 7:16am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

He needs to do this, and we need to see his first attempt at a snowman in a few months.

Growing up in NY, I can't imagine never having seen autumn or dealing with winter. I'm filled  with a mixture of envy and wonder.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:08am
Ahh the wonders of living where there are truly seasons. Couple of things to keep in mind.
1. Do not pay attention to the dbags that wear shorts when it's 20 degrees out. They are not more manly then you. They are idiots, life will prove this in time. Wear warm clothes and bring a jacket with you.

2. Totally agree on making a leaf pile and jumping into it. Compensate for age/weight etc as is necessary when building said pile. Also, make sure the pile of leaves isn't formed from leaves in a yard where dogs live... Trust me on this one.

3. You will find that there are different types of snow. Not all are good for making snow people.

4. Stay away from stone gooses unless you have the means to properly attire them for the changing seasons/holidays. No one appreciates a stone goose unless it is appropriately dressed for the occasion.

Have you seen your first fake deer yet? These are similiar to a flamingo in usage, but tend to be cleverly placed at times near the edge of property as to give the appearance of real deer.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

He needs to do this, and we need to see his first attempt at a snowman in a few months.

Growing up in NY, I can't imagine never having seen autumn or dealing with winter. I'm filled  with a mixture of envy and wonder.

I never thought about it that way before.

Wow.
BU Engineering 2012
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

There are some blue/purple ones out there as well.
Only in the right condition.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:38am

See, I want to, but I've got some questions here. Is there a good algorithm for body-mass to leaf pile size? Because I think I can find the amount of leaves needed in this neighborhood to make a proper pile-jumping stack, but I don't want to make it too small. If my other thread has shown anything it's that I don't have good luck with doctors. 

Also, I don't own a rake. 

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

We need a video of whale running on the side of the street next to the curb when it's filled with dry leaves with his knees locked and kicking to make the leaves fly.

At the end he tosses his hat in the air like Mary Tyler Moore.

I can make this happen. 

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

4. Stay away from stone gooses unless you have the means to properly attire them for the changing seasons/holidays. No one appreciates a stone goose unless it is appropriately dressed for the occasion. 

I've realized through research that dressing one's cement goose is just as important as owning said goose. 

Luckily for me, the Internet exists, had has places like this: http://www.lawngoosedesigns.com/

You have no idea how long I looked through this website last night and laughed aloud. 

Have you seen your first fake deer yet?

My neighbors down the road have a few, and I've seem them in stores as well. 

My favorite part about the fake deer is that they sell no fewer than 10 different poses for the fake deer, as to have a whole deer family without any unsightly repeats. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 08 October 2010 at 9:42am
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:54am
While on the subject of deer, be careful. Errant deer leaping across the road in front of your car may be a very rare occurence in the Sunshine State.. not so much here. Keep your eyes open when driving country roads, especially at dusk and night. Seriously.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:02am
Should I get one of those whistle things? Do they work? 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:08am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Should I get one of those whistle things? Do they work? 
Not sure, I don't know anyone that uses one. Since being here, I have seen at least a half dozen close calls and in one instance the deer actually hit the car, but on it's way back down as it jumped over the freaking roof when the car was going 55mph! Don't think just because you are on a 4 lane divided highway that you are safe either. Always keep your eyes open. Especially if you see one in the distance, it probably means there are another 5+ standing in the woods behind it getting ready to run across. The roadways turn into a virtual slaughterhouse around here starting pretty soon. Has something to do with harvesting the fields. Especially after it gets cold and the food dries up in the woods, the deer start venturing into the fields to eat the corn or beans that are left after the harvest.

Best thing is to be careful and pay attention to whats going on around. If you are traveling down a road with cleared fields on both sides and approaching wooded areas, pay attention. They seem to want to hide at the edge of the woods. Same if you have woods on one side and a cleared field on the other, watch the woods to make sure they don't dart out.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 08 October 2010 at 10:12am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:35am
And I thought Florida was the place where everything could kill you. 

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 11:45am
It's also rut...so the deer are a little horny and worked up.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:00pm

Ahh the wonders of living where there are truly seasons. Couple of things to keep in mind.
1. Do not pay attention to the dbags that wear shorts when it's 20 degrees out. They are not more manly then you. They are idiots, life will prove this in time. Wear warm clothes and bring a jacket with you.

. . . and you will be the one laughing at them later when their appendages turn black and fall off due to frostbite,

2. Totally agree on making a leaf pile and jumping into it. Compensate for age/weight etc as is necessary when building said pile. Also, make sure the pile of leaves isn't formed from leaves in a yard where dogs live... Trust me on this one.

I LOLed at this point.

3. You will find that there are different types of snow. Not all are good for making snow people.

. . . or snow balls.  While snow ball fights are fun keep in mind that the slushier stuff makes ice balls which can cause property damage and concussions.

This.  The only thing worse than a nekked stone goose is one that is still dressed for the last season/holiday.

Have you seen your first fake deer yet? These are similiar to a flamingo in usage, but tend to be cleverly placed at times near the edge of property as to give the appearance of real deer.

Related story.  A neighbor who used to put out the fake lighted Christmas deer got really annoyed when I made a fake hunter out of an old piece of plywood and put it on my property line near his deer many Christmases* ago.

*This can't be spelled right but the spell checker doesn't seem to object.

My mother-in-law swears by the bumper-mount deer whistles.  I've never got any but now that I think about it I probably will.  After all even if they don't work, they don't hurt anything either.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Related story.  A neighbor who used to put out the fake lighted Christmas deer got really annoyed when I made a fake hunter out of an old piece of plywood and put it on my property line near his deer many Christmases* ago.
LOL.  Christmas decorations are probably the only time that I am accepting of deer decorations. I actually have  set of them. One is a stag who vigilantly watches over his doe with with side to side head movement, the other is a doe who's head bobs up and down to replicate feeding action.* The would be much more realistic if they weren't 2ft tall.

*Actually both are now broken and still life, but I am too cheap to throw them away and too cheap to buy new ones.

I forgot a couple of other very important points that as a foreigner to these parts, you most likely will not have addressed and no one will tell you about until it's too late:

1. You will need a hat. One that covers your ears is preferred. Wear it even if it gives you hat head.

2. Go to your closest automotive store and/or Wally World etc and get winshield washer fluid that is the antifreezing type. NOW. If you still have the same washer fluid as you did when you left Florida, it will not be the antifreezing type. Once you have gotten said new fluid, make sure you use your washer to clear the lines of the old fluid making sure the cold weather fluid is now filling the lines.

3. Get one of these:

4. If you want to keep your nice shiny floormats, nice and shiny, invest is some winter floormats that have the little channels in them to catch the snow from your boots, which I assume you have already purchased.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 08 October 2010 at 12:38pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

This.  The only thing worse than a nekked stone goose is one that is still dressed for the last season/holiday.

I've told this story in the chatroom before, but I didn't realize that those geese were concrete until the tornado.

I thought they were plaster and light weight.

This storm turned over trailers and tore down trees, but somehow, all the geese were intact. I didn't understand it, so I walked over to my neighbor's porch and tried to move it, and was met with pleasant fact that they are indeed really damn heavy.

As DaveEllis put it to me: They are cinder-blocks with necks.

My mother-in-law swears by the bumper-mount deer whistles.  I've never got any but now that I think about it I probably will.  After all even if they don't work, they don't hurt anything either.

Another thing I've learned here: Unlike Florida with its tiny skittish deer, the deer here in Ohio don't really seem to mind humans.

Coming back from Columbus one night on a darkened back road near where I now live, I saw a pack of about four of them on the side of the road near the edge of the woods munching on assorted bushes and things.

But, unlike Florida deer, they didn't scatter back into the woods when a car came by.

I slowed down next to them and rolled the passenger window down and went "Hey, deer!"

They didn't look at me. So I said it louder. Still no response.

So I just started screaming gibberish at them at the top of my lungs until the lot of them finally looked up at me, kinda stared for a second, and then ignored me and put their heads down for more munching.

Seriously man, the deer up here don't care.

Looking back, anyone who would have seen me at the time would have thought I had lost my mind.

1. You will need a hat. One that covers your ears is preferred. Wear it even if it gives you hat head.

I've got one of those kinds that you kind of pull down over your ears, you know the kinds skateboard-riding 15 year-olds wear? It's kind of polyester-ish though, will it work?

2. Go to your closest automotive store and/or Wally World etc and get winshield washer fluid that is the antifreezing type. NOW. If you still have the same washer fluid as you did when you left Florida, it will not be the antifreezing type. Once you have gotten said new fluid, make sure you use your washer to clear the lines of the old fluid making sure the cold weather fluid is now filling the lines.

Roger dodger!

Quote 3. Get one of these:

For Christmas last year, my girlfriend got me a windshield scraper that plugs into your cigarette lighter and has a small heating coil in the scraper part. Is this a good idea to use?

Quote 4. If you want to keep your nice shiny floormats, nice and shiny, invest is some winter floormats that have the little channels in them to catch the snow from your boots, which I assume you have already purchased.

I'm a firm believer in not buying expensive floor mats. Or floor mats in general.

I'll often go to a flooring store and ask to buy their used sample carpet pallets, which are almost always floor mat-shaped and have sewed edges. That or I'll ask if they can cut me a square off a remnant.

Or, if I want something durable, I go to the home and garden section of Wal*Mart and buy an outdoor door mat made to go in front of your house. They fit, and are always more durable and easier to clean than a car floor mat.

Now, question to you northerners:

Do I need a shovel?

I've heard they plow the roads pretty well in this area, but my driveway is such that my car is about 4 feet from the actual road. Will the plow push snow up behind my poor Hyundai?

Edited by agentwhale007 - 08 October 2010 at 1:37pm

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:58pm

**** Hat should work, if purchased in a non-cold zone, it may not be enough. You'll find out either way.  It's not so much the top of the noggin as it is the ears. Good god when it gets cold and windy, exposed ears and fingers are the worst.

Never heard of a plug in scraper, but sounds like it will work, as long as it's sturdy enough to stand up to ice chipping. if it doesn't work, they pretty much sell ice scrapers everywhere. Much like black leather jackets in New York, I think they are almost mandatory to have as an Ohioan.

I apologize, I did forget the trusty shovel. Yes, you will need one, yes the snow plow will push 3-4 feet of snow in front of your driveway on top of the potential foot or two you may already have.

I think you may regret the floormat descision. Rubber mats are the way to go.

Regarding the washer fluid, doesnt hurt to keep a spare botte in the car as well. You will possibly go through a lot of it. Also give yourself a fair amount of time to figure out the defrost system in your car on mornings where it has iced up. It apparently is science that I have yet to properly figure out.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 08 October 2010 at 2:01pm
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:00pm
^^^ Yes.

4' from the road will seem like a mile and half after a good snowfall and a nice solid plow crust gets pushed into the driveway.

A few points about shoveling:

1. Those shovels with the bent handles that are advertised as being better for your back....suck. Don't bother.
2. Lightweight and plastic shovels are lovely until the first heavy, wet snowfall. Then they're worthless unless you want to spend 3 months clearing a driveway. Buy a metal one.
3. Shovels come in basically two different types, the 'pushers' which are more crescent shaped, and the 'throwers' which are the nice flat ones. Buy a flat one. Pushers are good for sidewalks that are 4' long and nothing else.
4. Shovel in layers. You can slaughter your back from spending all morning shoveling, and lifting too much at a time will speed up that process 100 fold.
5. Start shoveling when it starts accumulating, and do it often. My wife doesn't understand why I'll go out at midnight to clear the driveway sometimes. 2 or three small jobs throughout the afternoon/evening sure as hell beats one massive job first thing in the morning. Stay on top of it, or you'll really be sorry later on- especially after the plow leaves a nice solid 2' berm that you now have to cut through.
6. rock salt is a must if you've got paved surfaces. Unless you like landing on your ass, salt the driveway to keep ice from forming.

On clearing your car off:

Some people laugh at those who stand the windshield wipers up before the snow comes. I do it to keep them from getting frozen to the glass and shewing the hell out of the rubber.

If you have to go somewhere, start the car up and let it run as you shovel. you'll be glad you did when you're done shoveling.

Lastly: you'll never- ever appreciate a cup of hot chocolate as you will once you've shoveled 52 metric tons of snow.....especially if you drop a shot of creme de minthe into it before you drink it.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:01pm
Not all the way up to your car, but it will still happily block your car in.  Shovel up, buttercup!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic