Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blockbuster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

A friend of mine owns the patent for the mailing device used for mailing cd/dvd's through the mail according to postal regulations.

Netflix did not use it, instead made their own mailer, that did not fall inside the government regulations on postal requirments.

But, netflix got special treatment from the post office including hand cancelling a majority of the mailers. (a HUGE cost to the post office, which was just passed on to the tax payer with the new added postage costs). Yeah, we are all paying netflix's extra postage each time we mail something.

From one of the articles you posted without reading:
"Netflix spokesman said “The mailer is in compliance with the U.S.P.S. currently,” The report from the Inspector General's office confirms that following current Postal Service guidelines,Netflix had been told their envelopes could be processed by the machines"
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

A friend of mine owns the patent for the mailing device used for mailing cd/dvd's through the mail according to postal regulations.

Netflix did not use it, instead made their own mailer, that did not fall inside the government regulations on postal requirments.

But, netflix got special treatment from the post office including hand cancelling a majority of the mailers. (a HUGE cost to the post office, which was just passed on to the tax payer with the new added postage costs). Yeah, we are all paying netflix's extra postage each time we mail something.

From one of the articles you posted without reading:
"Netflix spokesman said “The mailer is in compliance with the U.S.P.S. currently,” The report from the Inspector General's office confirms that following current Postal Service guidelines,Netflix had been told their envelopes could be processed by the machines"

Clearly, they would state they were using an illegal mailer... Oh wait...

Just trust them...

psst, don't read this one...

"Many similar mail piece designs have been tested since 2002. All were deemed to be non-machinable.  The disk industry soon found that Netflix would be the only postal customer authorized to use the floppy edge design, claim automated letter rates and not have to pay the non-machinable surcharge. All other disk mailers have been forced to receive approval from the postal engineers for their designs or pay the surcharge. [Two rejection letters with pictures are posted on ekeytechnologies.com.]

If there were any lingering doubts about the incompatibility of this design with postal processing equipment they should have been eliminated in 2005 when the USPS hired an outside consultant to study DVD mail. According to the OIG report, the consultant found that 77% of one large customer’s mail pieces were manually processed due to its floppy edge design."

Interesting since that is still the current design, huh?
They tremble at my name...
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 12:09pm
I have it on good authority from a fortune cookie manufacturer in Queens NY that Obama has a $350 late fee and he used the CIA and IRS to put BB out of business to cover that up and not have to pay the late fee.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 2:58pm
FE, don't you think the government should stop regulating things like the DVD mailing equipment?

It's got to be one or the other.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 4:20pm
Only FE would storm into a perfectly good thread, throw in some copy pasta, mention how he is friends with some important person, blame the government, and leave.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

FE, don't you think the government should stop regulating things like the DVD mailing equipment?

As much as I hate having to defend FE, what I got from his posts was that he was complaining about the regulations not being enforced the same for everyone which results in an uneven economic playing field.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

As much as I hate having to defend FE, what I got from his posts was that he was complaining about the regulations not being enforced the same for everyone which results in an uneven economic playing field.

That was the mode I was in too, until I realized that the real motive behind his anger was that his "friends" patent was being circumvented. If there were no regulations on the mailing of objects, the patent wouldn't matter anyways.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

exactly...

And the results were Blockbuster going out of business (hmm, the title of the thread...) While Netflix keeps growing, and the government keeps eating the additional costs, which go directly to Netflix's bottom line... And we (the taxpayers) just got yet another postal increase... To cover the post office losses on netflix.

(look at the dates of the stuff I posted, this has NOTHING to do with Obama... it became an issue in 2006-2007, and never was resolved, as the post office just ignored it).

You guys have any idea the cost of a patent like that?... You could buy a brand new car for a lot less than the cost of one of those.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 23 September 2010 at 4:37pm
They tremble at my name...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic