Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Milsim 98 Custom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
tarrguy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarrguy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

That's different (the bottom line set up), I really expected it to come into the valve from below.

ya not really want i would've done but it gets the job done. hopefully i'll be finishing off my tippmann this week. got my sight rail today and looks awesome. has adjustment knobs for elevation and wind! flipping sweet!!! and it cost less than 1/2 of other ones that were way worse. gonna hit up the seller for a refund and see if they will let me keep it (i have reason to it was marked NIB and it came beat all to hell.) i got a few other things coming but Amazon/ebay are taking FOREVER to ship cuz everyone is using flat rate boxes from USPS! i would rather pay a few extra dollars and get real 3-day shipping rather than this crap USPS offers. i'll probably get the stuff i need to make another bottom line this week too so i can have a full setup (main gun, pistols, gear to wear) and just be done for awhile.

Well I got motivated enough to do some milling on the Delta 68 magazine.  It took all day since I only took off a little at a time and tested continuously, the feed hole probably still needs to be enlarged a bit, but upon testing it seems to work quite well and to not have caused any problems so far.

post some pics so i can see how its going since i'm planning on giving this a try. still debating about whether i want to buy an extra mag so i'll have 2 mags for each pistol.
Just a regular guy playing with a regular 98...ya right!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 12:57pm
Some pics related to a lot of the stuff we've discussed:

The standard Delta 68 valve disassembled.  The middle piece is the part I left out for my constant air modification.

The filter with the washer placed in position on top of it.  Just screw this back where it goes with the washer in place.

The puncture(less) assembly.  You can see part of the washer from this angle.  I put the o-ring in from this end and seated it against the washer the best I could.  Then I reinstalled this piece and put on my constant air adapter.  (Some fiddling/experimentation was necessary to get the dummy 12 gram in tight enough but once it was set and the release handle was locked down I had no leakage.)

The pistol with the constant air set-up in place.  The dummy 12 gram is not locked down because swapping between 12 grams and CA is easy with the replacement RAP4 piercing assembly. 

The modified mag.  Any ball that is not perfectly round will stick as shown below (which is handy for this picture).  A little bit more milling should resolve this issue.  I may or may not "clean up" the area to make it look nice as I tend to appreciate function more than form.

tarrguy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarrguy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 7:18pm

Some pics related to a lot of the stuff we've discussed:

The standard Delta 68 valve disassembled.  The middle piece is the part I left out for my constant air modification.

The filter with the washer placed in position on top of it.  Just screw this back where it goes with the washer in place.

The puncture(less) assembly.  You can see part of the washer from this angle.  I put the o-ring in from this end and seated it against the washer the best I could.  Then I reinstalled this piece and put on my constant air adapter.  (Some fiddling/experimentation was necessary to get the dummy 12 gram in tight enough but once it was set and the release handle was locked down I had no leakage.)

The pistol with the constant air set-up in place.  The dummy 12 gram is not locked down because swapping between 12 grams and CA is easy with the replacement RAP4 piercing assembly. 

The modified mag.  Any ball that is not perfectly round will stick as shown below (which is handy for this picture).  A little bit more milling should resolve this issue.  I may or may not "clean up" the area to make it look nice as I tend to appreciate function more than form.

pretty sweet. what kind of bottom line did you use? i had to grind a bit of the pistol grip and the bottom line cuz there was a huge gap between the them. thats basically what i was planning on doing. then using my small brass eagle 50 round hopper with a bit of electrical tape to make it snug i'd just shove it on top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 10:45pm
^^^ I'm assuming you are referring to the ASA (Air Source Adapter--the part the tank goes into) with the question above.  It is an old Tippmann 98 ASA that I had in my spare parts collection.  I used it because it was the only one I had designed for the hose at the front.

I've dealt with the gap between ASA and hand grip on several projects, it's annoying. 

If you don't want to cut up your magazine I had an idea I was working on quite some time ago for an inexpensive adapter for a small hopper on this marker.*  While I have no clue where the partially finished project is (I looked) I will see if I can do something up in MSPaint that kind of explains it and add it to this post later.

Edited Update:

Here are the plans.  The adapter is designed to fit directly on the marker with the magazine removed.

Please keep in mind that I never finished this, although I may have to work with the idea again, and drew up the diagrams from memory.  (I got to the stage where the piece of 10-round tube would be put in and didn't have enough on hand that I felt comfortable cutting any of them up.)  The main issue in parts selection is to find a piece of PVC that your hopper can be made to fit snugly into.  It also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some washers between the screw heads/nuts and the PVC material.  One other thing that isn't really shown below is some filing/Dremel usage would probably be required to "sharpen" the edges at the bottom of the adapter so they grasp the rails on the marker tightly.

Although I didn't do it with the prototype, if I do mess with this idea again there are two changes I would  consider if I could find a PVC fitting the right size:
  •  Leaving the back long enough to allow attachment at the rearmost of the three sight rails on the marker itself.  (On the theory that attaching at three places is better than attaching at just two)
  • Leaving the front longer and seeing if it is possible to mount either a flashlight or laser inside it.

*Actually, the original idea involved the attachment of a stock and a Q-Loader but a small hopper would work as well.

Edited by Mack - 08 September 2010 at 11:47pm
tarrguy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarrguy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 12:01am
)

^^^ I'm assuming you are referring to the ASA (Air Source Adapter--the part the tank goes into) with the question above.  It is an old Tippmann 98 ASA that I had in my spare parts collection.  I used it because it was the only one I had designed for the hose at the front.

I've dealt with the gap between ASA and hand grip on several projects, it's annoying. 

If you don't want to cut up your magazine I had an idea I was working on quite some time ago for an inexpensive adapter for a small hopper on this marker.*  While I have no clue where the partially finished project is (I looked) I will see if I can do something up in MSPaint that kind of explains it and add it to this post later.

Edited Update:

Here are the plans.  The adapter is designed to fit directly on the marker with the magazine removed.

Please keep in mind that I never finished this (although I may have to work with the idea again) and drew up the diagrams from memory.  The main issue in parts selection is to find a piece of PVC that your hopper can be made to fit snugly into.  It also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some washers between the screw heads/nuts and the PVC material.  One other thing that isn't really shown below is some filing/Dremel usage would probably be required to "sharpen" the edges at the bottom of the adapter so they grasp the rails on the marker tightly.

Although I didn't do it with the prototype, if I do mess with this idea again there are two changes I would  consider if I could find a PVC fitting the right size:
  •  Leaving the back long enough to allow attachment at the rearmost of the three sight rails on the marker itself.  (On the theory that attaching at three places is better than attaching at just two)
  • Leaving the front longer and seeing if it is possible to mount either a flashlight or laser inside it.

*Actually, the original idea involved the attachment of a stock and a Q-Loader but a small hopper would work as well.

ya i meant the ASA i always forget what those are called. your idea for a hopper adapter is really interesting. a laser or flashlight would be cool if A. the laser was bright enough or B. you were playing in a low light situation that would constitute a flashlight being remotely necessary. not quite following what you mean about attachment on 3 sight rails or even how you intend to attach this at all. why the 10-round tube on the inside? wouldn't you think that if you fit it snuggly enough to the gun the balls would make it there on their own? the idea of a qloader is quite funny but the guy who i traded pistols with (traded my stock delta for his modified delta and a 4oz tank, totally sweet deal on my end since i traded an crappy beat up 98 for the delta) he originally had the end cap (where the spring attaches) removed and put the end of the qloader there so he "would have an extra 10 rounds." not that it would matter. how were you planning on putting a stock on a delta .68? this is where a "you should just buy a TPX/T8/T68 pistol cuz they are already set up for all of that" comes to mind lol but it would still be awesome.

on a side note: finally got my Tapco folding stock! took flipping forever to get here. i hate flat rate shipping from USPS! i don't care if it is cheaper! i'll pay the extra $2 for you to ship it by UPS! damn! Angry plus that thing does not fit a 98C at all. it had extra ridges that the original end cap didn't have so i had to sand/file/grind the whole thing till i finally just gave up and clamped it down with a few wood clamps. luckily it was A.C.T. ready so i didn't have to deal with that. once i got it to fit it looked sweet and felt great, no need to get a shotgun pad for the end, maybe just for comfort but it is just the perfect length. it is really hard to fold though! i had to stand it up on a table and push really hard down to make it swing out of the way. hopefully with use it will be easier. looks great with my sight rail too actually. i'll get a picture up once i get my barrel which will hopefully be here this week. after that i'm just waiting for my tac vest ($60 vest for $36 on amazon! Big smile) and my new holster to match my right one. then my only project is to make a bottom line for my other pistol and i am all set for whatever. no need to buy anything for a long time i hopeWink

Edit Update: just checked shipment tracking and my barrel will be here tomorrow! so excited

Edited by tarrguy57 - 09 September 2010 at 12:02am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 12:52am
Originally posted by tarrguy57 tarrguy57 wrote:

ya i meant the ASA i always forget what those are called. your idea for a hopper adapter is really interesting. a laser or flashlight would be cool if A. the laser was bright enough

From experience lasers are generally only bright enough indoors.

or B. you were playing in a low light situation that would constitute a flashlight being remotely necessary.

I've played some CQB games where a light was definitely necessary if you managed to get to the point of entering the building.

not quite following what you mean about attachment on 3 sight rails or even how you intend to attach this at all.

If you take the magazine off of the Delta 68 there are three short (<1/2") sight rails on the top of the marker.  Two of them are behind the breech opening and one is in front of it.  The cut along the bottom of the PVC piece results in opening the bottom of that length of PVC tubing.  (Think of a "C" with the opening facing down.)  The material on either side of this opening fits on the aforementioned rails and is clamped in place by the screws and nuts.

why the 10-round tube on the inside? wouldn't you think that if you fit it snuggly enough to the gun the balls would make it there on their own?

The vertical piece of the adapter has to be big enough for the hopper to fit into.  This means the inner diameter will be somewhat larger than the diameter of a paintball.  This allows the balls stacked in the adapter to not be in a straight line which might cause feeding issues.  While such a problem is unlikely, a jam or misfeed in the lower part of the adapter, where the cross piece is open to the vertical piece is much more likely.  (I want the paintballs to go into the breech, not to roll forward or backward into the piece of PVC that attaches to the marker.)  The inner tube (made from a 10 round tube) ensures the paint goes only into the breech.

the idea of a qloader is quite funny but the guy who i traded pistols with (traded my stock delta for his modified delta and a 4oz tank, totally sweet deal on my end since i traded an crappy beat up 98 for the delta) he originally had the end cap (where the spring attaches) removed and put the end of the qloader there so he "would have an extra 10 rounds." not that it would matter. how were you planning on putting a stock on a delta .68?

Easiest way is to by a T-Stock and screw it into the ASA.  (This would necessitate attaching the air source to the T-Stock, but that is fairly easy.)  My original idea was quite a bit more custom and included attachment points at both the ASA and the rear-most of the three sight rails (via a modified dove-tail mount) on the top of the marker.  I never ended up doing it because, do to a field closing, building interior CQB games became a lot less likely to occur. 

The plan was basically to turn the Delta in to a semi-automatic submachine gun through the addition of a custom stock, the feed adapter, a Q-loader and a 13 cu. in. air tank.  For the buildings we were using at the time a 100 rounds was way more than enough for any member of the entry team and the short barrel of the Delta in combination with a stock would have shifted all the weight to the users shoulder making for a marker with very quick handling characteristics.

this is where a "you should just buy a TPX/T8/T68 pistol cuz they are already set up for all of that" comes to mind lol but it would still be awesome.

None of those was free.  Plus a pistol is 8-12 rounds which is much less than 100 rounds without reloading.

on a side note: finally got my Tapco folding stock! took flipping forever to get here. i hate flat rate shipping from USPS! i don't care if it is cheaper! i'll pay the extra $2 for you to ship it by UPS! damn! Angry plus that thing does not fit a 98C at all. it had extra ridges that the original end cap didn't have

It was for the newer 98 bodies and it sounds like you have an older one.

so i had to sand/file/grind the whole thing till i finally just gave up and clamped it down with a few wood clamps. luckily it was A.C.T. ready so i didn't have to deal with that. once i got it to fit it looked sweet and felt great, no need to get a shotgun pad for the end, maybe just for comfort but it is just the perfect length. it is really hard to fold though! i had to stand it up on a table and push really hard down to make it swing out of the way. hopefully with use it will be easier. looks great with my sight rail too actually. i'll get a picture up once i get my barrel which will hopefully be here this week. after that i'm just waiting for my tac vest ($60 vest for $36 on amazon! Big smile) and my new holster to match my right one. then my only project is to make a bottom line for my other pistol and i am all set for whatever. no need to buy anything for a long time i hopeWink

Edit Update: just checked shipment tracking and my barrel will be here tomorrow! so excited
tarrguy57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarrguy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 6:19pm
haven't heard from anyone in awhile. anyone have any suggestions for a front grip mounted under the barrel shroud and a magazine to cover up the stock front grip?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic