Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oiling marker with HPA tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MergedLoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MergedLoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oiling marker with HPA tank?
    Posted: 29 August 2010 at 2:55am
Hey all,

so i'm relitively new to paintball and am looking into getting an HPA tank (free refills at local field, as oppose to $7 each CO2 refill). Also less velocity difference in shots etc.

I've read a few things online about never using marker oil with an HPA as that can cause it to 'burst into flames'

and other posts/articles/etc. that say it's ok.

So i'm wondering if I pick up an HPA how do I go about properly oiling A. my marker (tippmann A5) and B. the o-ring etc.

As with the CO2 I just put some drops in the ASA and dry fired (no paint) a number of times to spread the oil through the marker, can I still do this with an HPA or is there another way?

Thanks.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by MergedLoki MergedLoki wrote:

Hey all,

so i'm relitively new to paintball and am looking into getting an HPA tank (free refills at local field, as oppose to $7 each CO2 refill). Also less velocity difference in shots etc.

I've read a few things online about never using marker oil with an HPA as that can cause it to 'burst into flames'

Never heard this.  I have heard that you can't use oil around oxygen tanks (such as those used in hospitals) because of the risk of increased flammability but that would not apply to the compressed air used in paintball as it is only regular air under pressure.

I have also heard you have to be careful with oil around certain electronic markers or use grease instead to prevent electrical problems.

and other posts/articles/etc. that say it's ok.

So i'm wondering if I pick up an HPA how do I go about properly oiling A. my marker (tippmann A5) and B. the o-ring etc.

Depending on usage the marker should be taken apart every once in a while and cleaned/oiled thoroughly.  A very light coat of oil should be put on an metal parts that rub/slide against other metal parts.

As with the CO2 I just put some drops in the ASA and dry fired (no paint) a number of times to spread the oil through the marker, can I still do this with an HPA or is there another way?

You can still do this, as well as put a light coat of oil on the tank o-ring without fear of damage.  While firing oil through the marker does not lubricate the entire marker it is the best way, short of disassembling the valve to get oil into the valve.  Just remember to remove the barrel or clean it afterwards when doing this.

Thanks.
oliver12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliver12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 4:44am
Hey, With regard to oil and hpa tank. the only time when the Tank will explode with oil is if you put some drops of oil into your air tank, Ie. taking off the fill nipple or burst disk and putting some oil in. The high pressure will cause the oil to ignite and the tank to explode. however, putting the oil through the asa on your gun and firing it around will be ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic