Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade to A5 Flatline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gremlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade to A5 Flatline
    Posted: 05 October 2010 at 5:29pm
So I got a Flatline today for this weekend. I plan on setting my FPS to around 250 - 260 and using Marbz. Will let you all know how it goes.
Mr.Sam98C View Drop Down
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 12:21pm
I never really liked Flatlines. I would often go up against more experienced players who would drill me time and again at distances, but the paint never broke. So I always felt what's the point of the extra range if it wont break on a person. However I can see it's use for supression.
In the broad spectrum of bad ideas I think this would have to rate somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 11:54am
Your question has already been answered in this thread: http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=186544

No reason to repost.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
stillalivea-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stillalivea-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 11:35am
what id like to know is if there was any sort of extension of like (4-6in) after market or otherwise that would help to improve its accuracy at that long range?  
hellcat420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellcat420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 8:40am
i never bothered with a flatline on my a-5 as it looked like it was more of a pain in the butt than it was worth. i ran a 16" armson stealth barrel since day one on my a-5 and have been totally happy with it at all ranges.
Tippmann_playa View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 2/19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippmann_playa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 10:32am
The Flatline is a picky barrel. Proper FPS and paint makes this barrel shine. I agree with what everyone has said, not accurate at a distance but a good support barrel. I use my shrouded flatline on my A-5 for support but I'll keep my Rifled Progressive with me for those sticky situations.

Fantastic Barrel if you use it for its purpose.
Tippmann A-5
APE Rampage
68/3000(remote)
Collapsible Carbine Stock
JCS Double Finger
Flatline w/ Battle Shroud
14' Progressive Rifled
Squeeshies
Lightning Rod
Vortex Mod
Sly Profit
EMRD
Gremlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

I used to run a Primary of an Egripped A-5 with Flatline for a few years. For the Support Role its a great set up. I found that shooting short bursts, peppering areas work better than long sustained strings. The flat trajectory also helps when fighting on the prone where the underbrush are sparse and the mid brush is thick. I used to pick people off at the legs. This was specially useful in NJ'Nam works.

That being said, the Flatline takes trigger time to get used to. Set your speed at 270ish, use good paint and use it as a stand off weapon.

This is the way I play already, and my team role is the support fire, which I enjoy. So sounds like the barrel for me. I'm a patient guy so, toying with the barrel and getting it to work and practice with it, sounds like a lot of fun. 

I've been researching paint and looks like Marbs or Evil is the way to go.

Thanks
-Grem
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 1:30am
I used to run a Primary of an Egripped A-5 with Flatline for a few years. For the Support Role its a great set up. I found that shooting short bursts, peppering areas work better than long sustained strings. The flat trajectory also helps when fighting on the prone where the underbrush are sparse and the mid brush is thick. I used to pick people off at the legs. This was specially useful in NJ'Nam works.

That being said, the Flatline takes trigger time to get used to. Set your speed at 270ish, use good paint and use it as a stand off weapon.
TippM3n386 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippM3n386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:44pm
ooo so its louder than the stock barrel? and it doesnt really increase your range then??
if its like that, then its worthless to buy mods like that
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Gremlong Gremlong wrote:

Not expecting anything pinpoint at really long range, doubt any barrel can offer that.  But extra distance and the flat trajectory would be helpful. 

I've done the searches and read articles and reviews.  Just wanted to ask some of you Tippman users what you thought.

Thanks For the help.
-Grem
Unfortunately too many people purchase these types of barrels and think they will become Uber Snipers picking off people at 100yards. It doesn't work that way as the flight path of the paint becomes pretty unpredictable at extended distances, especially if the barrel is dirty or misaligned. Some claim to have good experiences after taking months or years to dial them in, my experience was not so. Even after making sure the barrel was very clean and adjusting the barrel over a matter of months, I still found it to be inaccurate at longer range and very unpredictable. I have seen paint do things that I thought was impossible, and not in a good way. For throwing paint downfield for the purpose of just keeping peoples heads down, it was fine, but don't expect many hits. I will say that it does have somewhat of an intimidation factor as I found mine to be exceedingly loud. My brother liked it, because he said he could find me on any field and knew exactly where I was at all times.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
TippM3n386 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippM3n386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:19am
↑↑ i agree with him. I am also new to this sport. and have heard the flatline barrel is a good upgrade. But i would like to get some input from experienced players.

What exactly is the flatline barrel going to do for me. and will it be necessary?

i have a tippmann a5 and a custom 98 stock with no upgrades.
ANY suggestions?
Gremlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 3:09pm
Not expecting anything pinpoint at really long range, doubt any barrel can offer that.  But extra distance and the flat trajectory would be helpful. 

I've done the searches and read articles and reviews.  Just wanted to ask some of you Tippman users what you thought.

Thanks For the help.
-Grem
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 1:14pm
If you are expecting pinpoint, sniper accuracy at long distances, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a barrel that will allow you to shoot at a flatter tradjectory so you don't have to try and arc shots or are looking at increasing distance for suppression fire, you will be satisfied. Do a search of the terms, Flatline, apex, sniper, backspin, etc and you will find hundreds of threads on the pros and cons of Flatline, Apex, and backspin barrels in general.
Gremlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 12:11pm
Hello all,
New to the Tippman forums and to paint ball some what. Got into into it with about 6 friends about 4 months ago.  Having a blast playing woods ball.  We go at least once a month, and are in the process and testing all the local fields her in California.

My current set up it pretty basic:
Tippmann A5
Saw Stock
Remote Line
3000psi / 68ci HPA tank

So pretty much just the stock A5 with a Saw Stock added. When we go out, I am normally the guy in the back. I cover my team mates as they advance and have gotten pretty decent at long balling folks, even with the stock barrel. 

Because of my style of play I want to upgrade my barrel to a Flatline for longer range. I have read several reviews on the Flatline for the A5. But I figured I would bring my question to the actual Tippmann forums. 

So thoughts on the A5 Flatline ? Good or bad upgrade?
Any of you have any personal experiences, I would like to hear them.

From my understanding the big issue is paint and setting your FPS to around 260-270. 

Hello again and thanks for any input.

-Grem
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic