Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proposition 8 gets deep-sixed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Gotta throw the BS flag on the judge for the last line in the article.  He either has the worst judgment of any judge ever and should never have been on the bench or he was just hoping to not get caught.

This does pose an interesting question.

Is the judge any less qualified to make a decision because he's in the same demographic that's being affected by a proposition?

In this situation, it's hard to find a neutral party. It's something that people feel strongly enough to be a black or white issue. Is it only legitimate if an opposing judge makes a decision? If the judge was revealed to be anti-gay, and he upheld Prop 8, would his decision also be a problem?

Good point.  The only solution is to find a judge that has no bias either way.  Someone totally uninterested in any type of sexual contact with any member of their, or any other, species.  Barring that, since such an individual will probably be very hard to find, the next best thing would be someone who has no stake in the outcome because whatever their proclivities, they have no chance of ever successfully carrying them out.

I nominate Stealth.  LOL
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 10:11pm
Would an African-American Judge need to recuse himself for ruling against a miscegenation law if he were in a bi-racial relationship? Again, it's unfortunate that this will be used to re-fight the case, but I doubt it will change the outcome. Anybody who challenges this and other rulings based on such demographics is going to look like Mel Gibson challenging officers who he believes to be Jewish if they have a dog in this fight. This reaffirms that no partisan on either end of the social scale actually values liberty to a point where they'd tolerate the choice to live differently than they see fit. 
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 7:06pm
Sorry to bump this bad boy from the dead, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread without context. (That and the forum has been boring recently, and some discussion will liven up the place). 

I think that the news means that the case can proceed to district court, but with lawyers and law-hopeful types roaming around this place, I was hoping someone could explain it to me in a way that would make sense. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 9:25pm
Prop. 8 was passed with voter approval in California and through that process, it became law.

Opponents to the bill challenged the constitutionality of law and some of the lower courts have overturned the law.

Normally once a proposition is voted into law and the State defends its legality when it is challenged in court.

At some point in the process of this bill making it way through appeals process, the Governor and various other public officials that normally make decisions for the state of California decided to stop defending the legality of the bill for various reasons, (don't agree with it, don't want the State to cover the costs... whatever.)

Proponents of Prop 8 argued in court that because this proposition was voted into law by the citizen's cannot be existentially "vetoed" by government agents (members of the public who hold public office) simply because they do not wish to continue defending the law throughout the appeals process.

Long story short, the Proponents of Prop 8 sued to take over the legal defense of Prop 8 because the State of California decided that it did not want to defend the law.

Make sense?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Long story short, the Proponents of Prop 8 sued to take over the legal defense of Prop 8 because the State of California decided that it did not want to defend the law.

Make sense?

Yes. That end bit was the part I was confused by. 

Thanks kindly! 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 20 November 2011 at 4:40pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 1:19pm
Bumped from the dead with breaking news: 

It appears that the U.S. Appeals Court has struck down California's Proposition 8, saying the ban on gay marriage violates the U.S. Constitution. 

So far, I've yet to read anything that explains the "now what." In that, if and when California can start re-issuing marriage licenses. 

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 4:21pm
I found this story slightly more informative.

Please pardon the homophobes trolling the comments section, I do not understand why we can leave comments on news stories anyway.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I do not understand why we can leave comments on news stories anyway.

Comments tend to lead to more pageviews. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 7:08pm
And in a rather awesome human rights weekly doubly, Washington's state legislature approved a bill allowing for legal gay marriages. All it needs now is the governor's approval. 

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 7:26pm
Good times to be had.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 7:47pm
So the political buzz today has been on gay marriage, birth control, and surging Santorum. There's a joke to be made there somewhere.
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

You know, people say that homosexuality occurs in nature, but you know what else occurs in nature? Sex between animals. This ruling will obviously lead to benefits for those who engage in bestiality. Then it's only a matter of time, logically speaking, before they start going after children.

I can just imagine a voter rally, with chris hanson showing up. "Folks, I need you all to please have a seat over here"
I have nothing to add to this discussion, as I find gay marriage debates very tedious(short story, go for it, good for them). I can't recall if i've ever posted in this thread ever but this is the best post I have ever read on mother, ever.
I need a new Sig...
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

ITT: Dune meets FE.

Dune, might as well just ignore FE's posts and try to continue an intelligent debate. No matter how many references, you cite, no matter how many times FE is proven wrong, he will either:

a) Ignore your post
b) Change the topic
c) pull out some right wing blog or opinion page and use it to back up his claim
d) accuse you of personal attacks
e) all of the above

Funny how some things just never change....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic