Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 98c. Some Problems, Some Pictures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me 98c. Some Problems, Some Pictures.
    Posted: 27 July 2010 at 3:01am
 Hey I just bought a used 98C and am having a few problems identifying some parts, and what will be compatible with it if I change those parts. It seems like an older model 98 with older upgrade parts, but I can't seem to find any of them for sale, or previously for sale for information on them.

It has an electronic trigger, but the board says Humphrey's on it and I can't seem to find anything even similar to it. The power tube is cracked from the last owner and it seems like he tried to do a BS repair on it. If I replace the tube with an aluminum one how do I determine if I need to replace the valve? Also the front grip leaks, but I assume that is the little tiny o-ring in it. It's the only one I haven't replaced in the whole gun as I can't find one small enough yet. The factory finish went to hell so I decided to rip it apart and try my luck at repainting it. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. :)

Started with this.

Some of the peeling.

I had it one day and figured, what the hell I'll rip it apart! Lol.

Paint stripper, and 20 minutes on the wire wheel.

OD Base Coat.

"Done".

Together except for 9v battery, and cover.

The trigger setup. Not sure where anyone would buy this. I gotta replace these messy wires though. Is there supposed to be a bolt, or set screw in the hole above the black line?

That's all of it. Any help would be much appreciated, or just a direction to a thread I can read through. I've looked/read through most of the FAQ's and didn't see much that pertains to this setup. Thanks in advance! Think I'm going to polish up some of the internal pieces as well up top. Can't hurt.

Alex

Edited by Alx2785 - 27 July 2010 at 3:14am
Alex
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 10:34pm
What you have is actually a 98C with an E-bolt.  Replace the powertube with an original plastic one they are inexpensive and last a fairly long time.

While I have an old E-bolt laying around, mid project, I am not very knowledgeable on them. Tin Man stops by here occasionally, and he seems to be the man to go to in regards to E-bolt knowledge.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 27 July 2010 at 10:36pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:03am
 Sweet that help a ton with troubleshooting this leak! And tuning the gun properly as well. Thanks for the info! Gotta fill this tank up again so I can see if pin point it now! Thanks again!

Alex
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:19am
It also appears that you have a low pressure kit installed as well, which means the front grip is most likely some sort of secondary regulator. I am not sure of the model.  

Edited by oldpbnoob - 29 July 2010 at 12:21am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:49am
 From what I understand that would pretty much be an expansion chamber correct?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:17am

A regulator should be adjustable to lower the PSI going into the marker to take advantage of the low pressure kit. So the part that screws into the forward grip mount should be a regulator, the peice in between should be an extra chamber  for the LPK. Tippmanns normally operate at 650+psi. The LPK kit allows the marker to work at much lower PSI, thus theoretically using less propellant.

Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 4:37pm
 Alright I understand that it's just confusing at first. This setup that is. Lol. I assumed with the LPK and e-bolt I'd need some kind of actual adjustable regulator, but maybe not. When I bought it from the guy he said this was how he ran for the years he played with it so I don't see why I'd have to mess with it. It came with a carbon tank, HPA I assume, and a remote line. I hope it passes the hydro since it's very much out of date.

Here is the regulator apart, missing the o-ring. I removed it since it was just chewed up and falling apart. It seems like it was leaking from that part though. It was a good deal for the entire setup ($100) so I don't mind replacing a lot of things. Doesn't seem like I need to mess with it much though. Now I have to find a place that can fill this tank or go back to co2 on it.

Oh and from what I understand from reading around some websites is that to adjust for velocity I should put the adjustment screw to about flush on the power tube and adjust for velocity on the LPK side. That sound about right?

Alex

Edited by Alx2785 - 29 July 2010 at 4:44pm
Alex
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 5:38pm
That regulator should be adjustable.
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:58pm
 Ok so the regulator is actually on the "stock", it's a LP Regulator to go with the ebolt. It's a proshop regulator that the air supply hooks up to. I guess the front grip part is more like a secondary relief regulator, and not really THE regulator for the system.

It's hard finding info for this damn setup! Lol.

Alex
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:12pm
The Tippmann regulator on the bottome of the grip, has an LP port that goes to the E-bolt board and operates the Ram. The larger air line goes to the front grip which has a screw in regulator. The piece that you painted. It should be a regulator that lowers the PSi down to the LP for the LP kit. The regulator on the tank puts out 650-800psi. The secondary regulator screwed into the front grip lowers that HP down to LP.
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:44am
Hey, i got a question, how did you get the paint off that gun so good?
panhead4411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panhead4411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 8:02pm
Looks like he used a wire brush wheel....thats my guess.  Only b/c i've used it before and the finish looks similar.  Nice job though.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by panhead4411 panhead4411 wrote:

Looks like he used a wire brush wheel....thats my guess.  Only b/c i've used it before and the finish looks similar.  Nice job though.
Or you could read the line between the 3rd and fourth pic where is says:  " Paint stripper, and 20 minutes on the wire wheel."

Wink
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:24pm
 Lol. Yeah I wasn't planning on using the wire wheels as it looked like the paint stipper was going to get it all off but only one side of the gun lifted properly. The other half of the gun just didn't bubble up at all. It was kind of weird so I got the wheel out.

If you do this with a wire wheel make sure you use the soft brass wheel, not the normal silver looking wheels. Aluminum is soft and you can see some material transfer even with the short time I had it on the wheel.

Thanks for the info though noob. Still trying to find a damn o-ring for the front reg, and need to order a powertube this week. I really want to get this thing sorted out and shoot it. Still have to make sure the flatline shoots straight too! You guys think I should paint the front reg I have been asking about black? It's starting to chip from me handling it too early after paint and I figure since it's a high wear place I might as well leave that black, kind of matching the grips, and the original finish.

Alex

Edited by Alx2785 - 01 August 2010 at 11:27pm
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 11:17pm
 So I finally got all the parts sorted but this damn thing still leaks. It WAS leaking out of the oring, which I finally found the right size too, but now it leaks straight out of the bottom of that regulator thing. Anyone reccomend something that is a straight replacement for it? Not a Tippmann part preferably as it seems they are all junk as far as that regulator goes.

Is this pretty much what I will need to replace the regulator?
http://www.directpaintball.com/Shocktech-Low-Pressure-Inline-Regulators-P14134C1406.aspx
 This part is what I need to get rid of. I don't have anything else to replace on it or fix it with. It just leaks badly. Thanks again!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Alx2785/Paintball/_7290936.jpg

Alex

Edited by Alx2785 - 21 August 2010 at 11:18pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 7:58am
No, you would need the HP version of that. Also, I'm not sure that it will handle CO2. You may have to look into a Palmers stabilizer. www.palmers-pursuit.com.
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 9:04pm
 The link doesn't work but I'll look online for the Palmers. Also why would I NEED the HP version if my gun is already converted for LP? It doesn't matter in the end as I was going to get the HP version anyways since there isn't any real reason to get the low pressure version as most of them seem to say they'll go down to "0" psi regardless of LP, or HP.

I'll go check out some regs people use on their customs. The only thing I'm not sure about is should I replace this with a regulator or an expansion chamber? I mean there is a regulator on the LPK so it seems kind of redundant to have two.

Alex
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 10:00pm
You need a regulator to reduce the PSI coming out of the tank into the marker. The ASA that is on the marker has an LP outlet that powers the ram that actuates the valve. It does not lower the pressure going into the marker. The regulator is what lowers the pressure into the marker, thus enabling it to utilize the LPK. An expansion chamber will not regulate the pressure from the tank into the marker.

Maybe these will help.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 22 August 2010 at 10:20pm
Alx2785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alx2785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:44am
 Ok thanks for the clarification. I know now why it was confusing to me. It's because I was thinking of the LPK as part of the E-bolt kit so it seemed backwards as to what was what. :lol: My bad!

Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic