FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cool things to do in Orlando?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool things to do in Orlando?
    Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:47pm
. . . but not theme parks.  I worked in one as a teen and learned to hate all the people there with an undying passion.  (I will probably check out Sea World though . . . 'cause it's ed-yu-kay-shun-al.)

I'm looking for stuff people might not normally consider.

Checked out NASA twice so I wasn't planning on doing that again.  (Three times if you count the behind the scenes stuff I saw/did about 10 years ago when I was part of an inspection team that was evaluating their security.)
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:35pm
I was in Orlando last summer and one day we drove the hour over to Cocoa Beach and went kayaking, that was pretty awesome.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:37pm
Stare at girls?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:51pm
Well a few questions.

1) Is this trip with any children or is this just you and the wife?

2) If this is before August 22, one of the items is going to be having a beer with me.

Some suggestions:

• Downtown Disney: It's a free shops and restaurant area with stuff for all ages. There is a magic shop, a very nice cigar and tobacco store, a LEGO super-store with plenty of cool play areas. This is not a bad place to get dinner either. If you like video games, check out Disney Quest. Tickets are about $35 last I remember, and there is video game related stuff on about six floors, including a floor of nothing but hundreds of old retro arcade games from the 80s and 90s, all free. Parking is free, there is no admission price.
  • Universal City Walk is the same as Downtown Disney but owned by the Universal Group. Same concept: Free parking, lots of shops and places to see. But it has a lot more bars and adult-stuff.
  • If this trip is with the wife, I would suggest taking her to the downtown Park Ave. area of Winter Park. It's lots of really awesome mom/pop boutiques and stores, as well as a dozen wine bars and nice restaurants. The actual park in the center of the downtown area is beautiful and green, with lots of old fountains and statues from the 10s and 20s. Across the street is Rollins College, with most of the buildings there dating from the 1890s - 1930s. If you are interested in old architecture, this is your bag. 
  • Church Street Station in downtown Orlando on a Friday or Saturday night is also really damn fun if you are going sans any children. It has everything from trendy ultra lounges (They don't seem like your scene) to awesome hipster filled watering holes (BBQ Bar being the most famous) to quasi-cowboy saloons (Cheyenne Saloon on East South St.) to everything between (Big Belly, Ember and Latitudes are all great bars).
  • If you want tourist-attraction type stuff for less money there is International Drive in North Orlando. Some of the stuff there is gimmicky, like Wonder Works, the amazing upside down building, or the Titanic exhibit, but it's much much cheaper than any of the theme parks. Lots of laser tag and putt-putt golf type stuff. Plus there is Fun Spot, which has go-carts and lots of carnival rides for cheap. If this isn't with kids, there is Howl At The Moon on I-Drive as well. It's a sing-along piano bar with really cheap drinks in a really casual atmosphere. 
That is just stuff in the greater Orlando area.

About two hours away from Orlando in my direction there is a ton of natural fresh water springs with kayak rentals, snorkeling areas and nature walks.

If you are willing to drive a bit, like out to the beaches, there is a ton of stuff to do as well. Just not sure how much you want to drive.

Also, if you do want to go to the beach, please heed my advice: Go to the beaches at a place called "Ormond By The Sea."

It's a little municipality about 20 minutes north of Daytona Beach, and it is everything Daytona is not.

It's clean, as there is no driving on the beach allowed and not many people go there to pollute. It has free beach-side parking and is free from ugly towering hotels and resorts, as it's a tiny little residential area with only houses on the non-water-front area. The sand is reddish color from hundreds of years of shells being broken down in it.

And best of all: NOBODY GOES THERE.

Right now you are in the heat of tourist season for the beaches. Daytona, New Symerna and Cocoa are all going to be super crowded. You're going to have to park and hike miles to find a spot.

I can bet you money that if you take the extra 20 minutes to go up to Ormond By The Sea you will be the only people within 3/4ths of a mile from the spot you decide to pick. It is beautiful.

Hope that helps. If you need more details about any of that, just ask.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 16 July 2010 at 11:56pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:57pm
And just typing that made me really depressed after thinking about all the stuff I am going to miss when I move.

Sigh...

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 12:04am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

And just typing that made me really depressed after thinking about all the stuff I am going to miss when I move.

Sigh...

i swear it never gets colder than 15 degrees
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 12:33am

Well a few questions.

1) Is this trip with any children or is this just you and the wife?

Just me and the off-duty supervisor.  (Although we will be staying with son & daughter-in-law so as to enjoy time with them and the grand-daughter.)

2) If this is before August 22, one of the items is going to be having a beer with me.

Well, sounds like we're having a beer.  I'll drop you a PM with some contact info.  (Hopefully we can find a place that has the Dos Equis Amber on draft.  It's not something I can get that way up here and I happen to have become quite enamored of it the last time I was down there.)

Some suggestions:  <deleted to save space in quote>

Hope that helps. If you need more details about any of that, just ask.

Sounds good, Thanks a bunch.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 12:48am
man, if someone asked me what there is to do in my city, I'd say 'I dunno, go to the bars and drink?'

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 12:54am
Which is why, despite your comic abilities and winning personality, whale will always be cooler than you.  Big smile
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 2:11am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

man, if someone asked me what there is to do in my city, I'd say 'I dunno, go to the bars and drink?'
At least in Kenosha we have a $0.25 trolley that goes in a circle. Way to revitalize downtown city counsel....

And olive garden is opening up. Which will be pretty popular despite our demographic being 50% italian and an actual italian restaurant on every busy corner.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 3:47am
Skip NASA but go to Titusville anyway? Unless they built the Dixie Crossroads restaurant in Orlando like they planned, you must make the drive for dinner. Be warned, they do a lot of business.

Hey Whale, what about Playalinda Beach just north of Kennedy along the Canaveral National Seashore? How busy does that beach get around this time? I quite liked it when I visited, most of the people parked in the first few parking areas, which were small to begin with. Very remote beach IMO and it costs $3 to enter the park for a day.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Which is why, despite your comic abilities and winning personality, whale will always be cooler than you.  Big smile

no denying that. 
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 2:09pm
I don't care how old you are, Fun Spot is awesome.

Any go kart place with about 6 tracks is pretty much win.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 2:25pm
One, Playalinda Beach is a nude beach where floppy old people go.

Two, Dixie Crossroads is a chain that I think shut down. There is much better seafood to be had.

Three, yes, Fun Spot is pretty cool.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 2:47pm
From what I've heard the nude bit is at the north end, it begins at the last parking area at the end of a 4 mile stretch of road. The rest of it back to the south isn't nude. They have a different name for the 4 mile stretch of beach that doesn't have nudies?

As for the restaurant, they appear to still have the original location open in Titusville, but the reviews I'm seeing talk about the place going down hill in more recent years. At least I got to try it before they tried turning it into a franchise.

Edited by High Voltage - 17 July 2010 at 3:01pm
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 8:26pm
When is this happening? I might make the drive up and join you guys for a beer.
///AMG What?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Any go kart place with about 6 tracks is pretty much win.

I would have to agree; however, the wife is becoming increasingly insistent that I act my age.

One, Playalinda Beach is a nude beach where floppy old people go.

Hey!  I'd fit right in!

Originally posted by NiQ-Toto NiQ-Toto wrote:

When is this happening? I might make the drive up and join you guys for a beer.

I got to Orlando yesterday . . . and pretty much sacked out/slept in after the trip . . . just like the old dude that I am.  As far as the get together, I'm not sure yet.

Edit:

What the heck is this >>> _popupControl();  thing that my step-son's computer keeps adding to my posts? _popupControl();

Edited by Mack - 18 July 2010 at 2:02pm
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2010 at 3:11pm

I'm in Daytona, only an hour away. Let it know if things be hap'nin.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 12:35pm
How do you all feel about Tuesday or Thursday or somewhere around there for getting a beer?

By you all I mean Tolga, Niq and Mack.

I will call Mack and text Tolga about it here soon. I don't have your number Niq,

Just let me know.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 1:50pm
Interesting to hear that Church Street Station was back up.. When we left all that had closed or was closing. I would agree on most of what Whale said except for the WonderWorks. Went there last year and it was pretty boring, and expensive if I remember correctly. Maybe check out Gatorland. It's pretty cheesy, but if you like gators.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic