Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know what I hate about todays games?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You know what I hate about todays games?
    Posted: 25 June 2010 at 7:33pm
Todays games are ruined by the "instant gratification" needs of our generation, and the fact that gaming companies cater to that.

Take the original Tom Clancy games for example.

Rainbow 6-- used to be a tactical game where you almost as much time planning the next mission as actually going through it, and some levels wouldnt let you kill anyone either. You could have 8 people on your team and you'd draw up the plan. Now, it's 4 people and it's run and gun.

Ghost Recon-- A level could take 30min -1 hour to complete if doing it right in the original GR. You'd have to double check a plot of trees because you couldn't tell if it was a bush swaying or someone moving. Now, you guessed it, it's run and gun, but in 3rd person!

Splinter Cell-- In the original, if you were spotted, you were screwed. On some levels, you weren't even allowed to kill anyone, and you had to sneak around, maybe knock a few people out. Now in their newest game, again, run and gun, and who cares if you're spotted?

Old first person shooter games used to be if you were shot, you'd go in to yellow or red, and stay that way till you die, you know, as a tangible punishment for screwing up. Now there's regenerative health because god forbid someone stays hurt for more than 10 seconds.

And, to top it all off, I saw a complain in a preview for the new MoH where the author actually said "I hope they fix the lack of a kill cam before they release the game, it'd be a real shame if they left it out". Yes, real shame that they make it easier for someone that sucks to find people that kill them.

I blame mainly Ubisoft for screwing up the tactical nature of the Clancy series... but also other companies for following suit doing the same exact thing. Really, the only difference between many of the games is who the characters are... almost all other aspects are the same.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:09pm
Completely agreeing with everything you just said.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:20pm
Its believe it is because of the growth of online play.  No one wants to try and sneak around a map with 10 other human players.

The change is better for multiplayer, but for single player, you are correct, it really does suck.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:42pm
The new splinter cell game looks terrible. I was super excited for it up until I launched the demo. When I realized how much they had thrown the splinter cell formula out the window entirely, I turned it off.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 9:26pm
I was unfortunate enough (or dumb enough) to buy the new splinter cell without playing the demo. I don't even feel like it's a part of the series, it's a completely different game, and not for the better.

Forum Vice President
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I was unfortunate enough (or dumb enough) to buy the new splinter cell without playing the demo. I don't even feel like it's a part of the series, it's a completely different game, and not for the better.

Yeah, as Yahtzee said, it's like you're not even playing Sam Fisher, you're playing a little man on Sams shoulders that tell him what to do. "Kill those 4 guys" and he does it.    It's just pathetic.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 9:31pm
Conviction was a huge waste of money.

The gameplay has been so watered down that you feel as if you have no control over Fisher.

To take someone down, all you have to do is run up to them and mash B, or hold it to hold the guy hostage. There could've been a fighting mechanic to make the sneaking up so much better. When the crosshair turns red over a guy, you know he's going to be killed. You can't even pick up fallen enemies anymore.

I really hope the original Rainbow Six is made, or something similar returns. I'm tired of linear shooters, but I don't much care for the sandbox formula either. Crysis did a great job of using open maps to make fighting interesting, but it lacks the team dynamic. Still, I loved using the relatively realistic AI to really mess with the enemies.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 10:09pm
I really wish they'd make a game like the original ghost recon. I sat playing that game on my PS2 for hours on end, and it was legitimately challenging. I miss that.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 25 June 2010 at 10:10pm

Forum Vice President
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 11:06pm
I still only play one game - tfc -  and  probably 3 hours average a week, lame but at least I can manage a positive score.
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:24am
Ubisoft Blows.  Hard.  They raped R6.  Roguespear / Ravenshield were the best two in the series, without a doubt.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:29am
I do believe the original R6 games, Tom Clancy had quite a bit of say in what went into the final game. Now not so much.

And the regenerative health has completely done away with the medic class. Which personally I feel is the #1 reason why todays FPS do not rely on teamwork.

Edited by Monk - 26 June 2010 at 1:31am
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:44am
I loved Vegas. Definately not the same as old school R6, but then again it's really built more as a spin
off than a proper sequel.

Agreed on Splinter Vell,loved the old ones, somewhat enjoyed Double Agent, hated Conviction.

There are still decent tactical games put there. Operation Flashpoint is pretty challenging, and definately follows the Americas Army style attention to detail.

But hames sell by market now. Back when R6 first came out, it was a PC game marketed at a very specific audience. Nowdays, it costs millions to develop a title, and niche crowds simply won't bring the money.

There's hope. But as long as consoles and traditional controllers dominate the market, the complexity of the games is going to be dumbed down for a broader audience.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 2:50am
Sure niches are still viable.

The Total War Series--- for the most part, an unchanged series over the past decade since the first one came out, yet still going strong, and Sega backs CA up fully instead of forcing them to change the formula.

Silent Hunter series--- Another niche game about WW2 sub action. Probably the only game Ubisoft HASN'T drastically changed, probably because they haven't figured out how to do cover mechanics with a submarine yet.

Yes, OFP (and Armed Assault, which is actually made by the original creators of OFP) is a good game... and they are also niche games.
I do believe the original R6 games, Tom Clancy had quite a bit of say in what went into the final game. Now not so much.

Clancy used to have a lot of say, until Ubisoft bought his name-sake a few years ago, and since then, Clancy has had NOTHING to do with any input in to any games with his name.

Ever since Ubisoft bought Red Storm in 2000, Clancy games have degraded. Rogue Spear was the last pre-Ubi game to be released, and it was kick ass.

Edited by Linus - 26 June 2010 at 2:54am

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Sure niches are still viable.
Definately agreed, I just see a massive decline in companies willing to take big risks on big name franchises. There are definately survivors (especially in the strategy genre, which seems to steadily turn out pretty good games every couple of years), but the shooter genre in particular has suffered a massive stroke at the hands of cross platforming and marketing strategies.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 3:35am
That's the thing I love about the Total War series. CA has made consistently good (and better with each iteration) games, and comes out with a new, ground breaking, one every 2 years.

Plus, even big budget games can still be niches. The Mass Effect series is most definitely a niche, and they spend big bucks on their production cycle, and reap it up in no time and I can't think of anyone that has anything really bad to say about the games.

Gaming companies just need to quit worrying about appealing to the masses and start worrying about making good games that people actually want to buy... sadly that won't happen as we get a new CoD every year and people feel the need to buy it to stay with their friends. Sure, I still buy it too, but I like having good games too, and I know I'll catch flak for this, but compared to classics, CoD is NOT a 'great' game. Fun, sure, but it will never be great.

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 3:39am
Killcams make baby Jezus cry. No one watches them anyway.

Who here DOES watch them? You use the first 1/3 of a second to recognise where the guy is, then press spawn.

Bad Company 2's is even worse, it isn't a kill cam so much as a "see where he exfils to" cam.

Worse IMHO are the way games kill off the main character. It just plain annoys me.

Especially when they do it in a lame fashion like MW2 or in *** **** ********

I've spent the entire game getting shot by RPG's and belt fed machineguns, or in ***, Gattling guns and multiple badguy, but it the cut scene a single chest pistol shot can kill me. What the HELL?

And yeah, devolving into gun and runs has damages many of the games.

Nothing screams "medic" quite like a guy with a super accurate, duper damagin LMG. What?

KBK

Hmmm, no spoiler tags in this forum?

Edited by Kayback - 26 June 2010 at 3:41am
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:02am
BF2's medic class is ridiculous. They should swap with the engineers crazy silenced weapon class (really? An RPG and stealth guns?)

I only play Hardcore on MW2 and BC2, I refuse to deal with kill cams and LMG spammers.

On a side note. Ha anyone else noticed a nerd on the 50 cal in hardcore? Unless you get a headshot, it takes a couple of shots mow. Which is fine, they spam that gun in games anyway.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:07am
And screw all those games you guys have mentioned, they're all trying to become the same thing.

Class based online multiplayer FPS will never get stale, too few developers embrace the style. Not to mention only one of them lets you craft sweet hats.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Who here DOES watch them?

I do if I get shot by an intervention/barrett. I like to appreciate a good quick scope shot when it happens to me.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:42am
Splinter Cell Double Agent was one of my favorite games ever. It was one of the few for Game Cube that was worth it. (dont ask why I had a GC.) I got it into my head a few weeks ago that I was going to play it, and found out I'm missing one of the disks. I was heartbroken.

My brother and I would co-op missions on Ghost Recon for PS2 for HOURS.

You're right about it all though. The strategy is gone out of games where that used to be the whole point.

Side note, I just found and for kicks started playing MOH spearhead online again. Assy graphics, cheesy maps....but man is it fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic