Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know what I hate about todays games?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 12:31pm
As I say in every old video game thread, christ I miss playing Rainbow Six and R6: Eagle Watch

Someone told me that people still play it online, I need to find out where and need a disc.

It was also never tactical. I would set waypoints in the single player and run around and kill people like every other game.
Que pasa?

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:04pm
Simulation gaming has turned more and more 'arcade' than realism. There are several milsim games I play with a select group that do not allow 'killcams', overhead views, phoney gunsight views, there are realilistic balistics, no more crosshairs at 800m same as 100m. I usually take the sniper role in 2 of the Infantry milsims, and the balistic problems on setting up a shot are almost as close as real thing. A locked group of us play 'Combat Arms' online with restricted weapons availability, and group designed maps, you glitch or hack, and you are banned immediately, with ISP address logged. In 'Aces High' again a select password protected group, we fly bombers and assemble in mass formations, we have had up to 48 B-17's in combat boxes heading to targets, with gunners on board, so you are not overburdened trying to do everything.

Silenet Hunter was a great series till Silent Hunter 5, a problem ridden game, with lock and issues that are frustrating. As you get further into campaign your weapons go freaky, torpedos just dissappear enroute to targets, you can be meters from target and no effect from deck guns. I once hit a British detroyer with a torpedo, the explosion, the sinking, it was actually under water, and then it just re-surfaced and turned and attacked me. And the Sunderland aircraft I shot up with a wing totally shot off, turning and attacking like there was no damage.

I am running a Type VIIC42 with all the mods available, and it is like I am running a VIIA in 39 with all the problems therein.

I love a lot of the Matrix games sims, a lot more than shooting and moving, logistics and manpower, I am currently in a Hearts of Iron III online tourney, I am the Soviet Union, it is mid 42, and I am barely holding on. American player will not lend and supplies, British player tries, and I am on my own basically against the Axis, and the Japanese player is attacking from east, so I have to divide what limited forces I have between the front, my indistry is severily limited, and my research is almost stagnant trying to cope with a two front war.   I have massive infantry 'armies, but little in armor or artillery. My Air Force is just fodder against both the Germans and Japanese. A lot of thinking in this game.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 10:53am
The only games I play these days are Total War (Rome and Medieval 2 due to hardware limitations) and Civilization 4 with the Rise of Mankind mod. Occasionally out of nostalgia I'll bust out something like Tropico.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 11:52am
Maybe I am the odd man out on this forum, but I don't want simulation gameplay. I like videogames for when they can transcend reality and offer gameplay beyond what the real-life equivalent can offer. 

The original Rainbow-6 games were some of the most boring things on Earth. Boring boring boring. The useless camo and gun setup menus for guns that all, early on, fired nearly the same in-game was tedious and silly.

And I like sneaking games too. I thought that Metal Gear Solid was one of the most entertaining and original games of our generation. 

To borrow a line from the late Rambino: I just don't like when realism gets in the way of a videogame. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 27 June 2010 at 11:54am
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

As I say in every old video game thread, christ I miss playing Rainbow Six and R6: Eagle Watch

Someone told me that people still play it online, I need to find out where and need a disc.

It was also never tactical. I would set waypoints in the single player and run around and kill people like every other game.

This.

However, I got bored a while back and found a ton of downloads still available for the Rogue Spear/Urban Operations game engine.  (Including the original R6 missions.)  New weapons options, new maps, even an AI upgrade.  While some of them are unimpressive, others really made it fun/challenging to play the game again.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Maybe I am the odd man out on this forum, but I don't want simulation gameplay. I like videogames for when they can transcend reality and offer gameplay beyond what the real-life equivalent can offer. 
The original Rainbow-6 games were some of the most boring things on Earth. Boring boring boring. The useless camo and gun setup menus for guns that all, early on, fired nearly the same in-game was tedious and silly.
And I like sneaking games too. I thought that Metal Gear Solid was one of the most entertaining and original games of our generation. 
To borrow a line from the late Rambino: I just don't like when realism gets in the way of a videogame. 

This is 100% valid, and case in point are games like Just Cause 2. Incredibly unrealistic, but such a good time that it doesn't bother you in the least.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 3:32pm
The thing is by their very nature simulations transcend reality.

I have nothing against run and gun shooters. I loved Duke Nukem 3D, I loved Rise of the Triads, I loved the Unreals and the Unreal Tournaments. Quake rocked my boat good, all the Quakes. Far Cry is great fun. As is Crysis. As was CS and CS:S. As is COD4 and MW2.

Anything I've forgotten? They are fun.

They are also pretty patently removed from reality.

I liked the R-6 series of games ok, but they punished you way too much with reality being heavily on the side of the computer. Unrealistic recoils, guys able to shoot you with their guns still lowered and the like.

I enjoy slightly more realism. But here I am talking slightly. MAG/Battlefield 2 is pretty much how I like my realism.

I wouild say HC versions of MW2 and COD4 are more my idea of fun. Same with the HC version of BC2, if BC2 worked.

One thing I loved about MW2 were the kill streaks. I know people don't like them, but I've never found them to be over powered. If the enemy calls in an AC-130, the other team was getting hammered anyway, so it isn't OP, you are just playing badly :p. And honestly I got more AC-130's in Normal mode than Hardcore, so it isn't about getting easy kills.

I just like my guns to shoot "bullets" instead of "6mm BB's". It is easier to swallow when a guy weaering a field generator absorbs a burst of energy bolts from a particle gun than when a "USMC Assaulter" absorbs a burst of "7.62x51mm" from a "SCARH". I don't get why games want to go to all the trouble of detailing weapons and their charateristcs, producing realistic world physics, adding real world equipment and units and sometimes locations, and then make it unrealistc to THAT extreme.

What annoys me is EVERYTHING is moving towards the same thing. The Battlefield series had some decent squad mechanics, vehicles and at least semi realism and BIG maps with LOADS of people.

COD has always had smaller maps and fewer people and more linear play, with killcams. Then they introduced killstreaks.

I honestly can't recall playing a MOH game multiplayer. But looking at the latest one, it is smaller maps, kill streaks and knifings.

I know Bad Company 2 isn't BF3, but it is fewer people, smaller much more linear play, stupid classes which have gun and run all over them. Technically it has vehicles and aircraft, but very little manouvering.

I have personally won some Bad Company 2 matches by destroying all the Mcom's. I will grant you that generally the guys on my teams helped, but mostly they are sniping or spawn raping.

I've personally won MW2 maps, having scores of 36/2 and the rest of the team has #2 at 19/6 and then less than 10 kills with KD = <1

Recent games are all about instant gratification. I don't want instant gratification. I want gratification of working as a TEAM and kicking butt. Instant gratificatino is easy. Go eat a bowl of sugar. :)

You can always find nieche games to suit yout purposes, however I'd prefer a little more brainpower needed to play these games, and I'd like it to be a little more mainstream.

Wow I can talk crap.

KBK
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 3:54pm
KBK, sign up for a league in one of those games you'd mentioned then.  While it isn't entirely squad oriented, playing as a team is far more important than it is in a pub.

Edited by Glassjaw - 27 June 2010 at 3:55pm
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 5:58pm
I've been in a bunch of leagues. The team I was in for COD4 won Rage 2008.

I get clan/league gaming, but I'd file that under niche as well. It isn't mainstream. I know we have a very small gaming community here, and often we would get to play with the same guys by pure chance, but especially BF2 had a very intuitive squad system. Mainstream gaming with nice team based elements.

I've played league in BF2, COD4, COD WAW, COD 4 again in another league, MW2, BFBC2. The MOST fun I've had? Pubbing in BF2 and MAG, with the right guys.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 27 June 2010 at 5:59pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 7:34pm
Kayback and I see eye to eye. 

Battlefield 2 is one of the best online games to exist for me. I know updates to the Battlefield series have been made, but to me, 2 is still the best. It had the most level of freedom to do what you wanted to do but still be grounded in some level of reality. That level of freedom in-game is something that I strive for. You can roam and snipe, you can join a squad, you can crash a plane into a helicopter and jump out at the last second to take out everyone in the plane.

Whatever you want. 

I know some people like really, really realistic simulation games. And I am impressed with the level of research that tends to go into them. 

They're just not my bag of tea. 

The more movie-like a game is (Although movie-based games tend to be awful) the more I will like it. 

Games like Metal Gear Solid and Half Life, to me, have done more also to advance the art of video games as a stand-alone art form forward. 

The again I also love, adore and cherish RTS games. 

I still dork out over Age of Empires 2. And play it online on a regular basis. I love Civilization too. Halo Wars is still on my list. 

Oh, and as far as crazy-as-can-be shoot-em-up games, BLACK was awesome. That level of shoot-em-up and explosions hasn't been quite topped yet from my limited gaming experience. 

EDIT* Oh, and as far as best online game ever: Team Fortress Classic. Hands down. Nothing will match the feeling of online multiplayer victory than getting that flag across that Goddamned bridge. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 27 June 2010 at 7:38pm

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 8:31pm
For getting flags across bridges : Tribes.

Man I wish we'd had decent gaming community and good lines back them. That game rocked for skin of the teeth last ditch sprints while being strafed but with jet packs, shields and rocket launchers. Sorry Spinfuzors.

Thinking about it, the group of people you are playing with has more to do with it than the actual game does. I've honestly had good and bad experiences from pretty much every game I've played online.

I still get my ass handed to me in ARMA 2. But sometimes it is FUN :)
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 10:09pm
I want Painkiller.  It's kind of a throwback to the days when FPS games didn't take themselves so damn seriously.

Oh, and it's got a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I still dork out over Age of Empires 2. And play it online on a regular basis.

That's awesome, I thought I was the only one. I've been using that Game Ranger, or whatever it's called, service to relive some AoE good times without the hassle of trying to make the IP connection work (total PITA on Windows 7 for some reason) through firewalls and anti virus. A friend of mine will always hook up and continue long ass games in between classes at school. Good times.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 12:56am
I just want Linus to play STALKER on hard when it gets ported to the 360. Then complain about instant gratification and easy gameplay.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I just want Linus to play STALKER on hard when it gets ported to the 360. Then complain about instant gratification and easy gameplay.

Already have on PC. Not saying the games don't exist, but they are much rarer than what they used to be because so many people are trying to appeal to a wide range of gamers to sell more which means they have to water things down to make it simpler for people who just want to get in and shoot people and nothing else.

Dead Space was/is a great game... probably the only game in recent time that has scared the living bejeezus out of me on a regular basis.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

I want Painkiller.  It's kind of a throwback to the days when FPS games didn't take themselves so damn seriously.

Oh, and it's got a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

OKAY, YAHTZEE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 2:49pm
Another issue is the available 'cheats' in order to cheat in the game. What is the point of playing when your skill is not enough?

And the 'reset' button, or extra lives. Last time I checked when you 'die' your success stops there. You die, and back to 'level one' would be a better life lesson.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

You die, and back to 'level one' would be a better life lesson.

I don't think people in general - at least myself - want games to be a life lesson. 

I just want a few hours of entertainment. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

[
That's awesome, I thought I was the only one. I've been using that Game Ranger, or whatever it's called, service to relive some AoE good times without the hassle of trying to make the IP connection work (total PITA on Windows 7 for some reason) through firewalls and anti virus. A friend of mine will always hook up and continue long ass games in between classes at school. Good times.

Do you have an instant messenger? If so, let's set up a time and I'll be glad to play along for a few games. I'd love to play someone I know. 

That goes for anyone else who wants to play along on here. 

I'm awful at this game though, fair warning. 

I've been playing it since high school, but - much like chess - time logged has not reflected in skill acquired.

I usually accept I cannot win on my own and try and form an allegiance with a stronger player and devote my whole time to resource mining and scouting, or being a pest and slowing down their enemy. 

Nothing better than sending a hoard of workers to build two dozen watchtowers around the enemy and keep putting them back after they get torn down. 

Oh, and as a side note: My friend gave me a copy of Sims 3 a few months ago. 

The amount of hours I have logged into that game is embarrassing. The new achievement setup is addicting. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:51pm
I don't know. You see children not able to accept failure, and the Army did a physcological review of 18-22 year olds entering the Army, and found the concept of 'foul up your are dead' was lost to many based on the video game expieriance. Even watching 8-14 year olds throwing fits when they 'lose' when there is no reset or extra life is frightening to many parents.

Back in the day with board games there was a finite winner/loser concept. Now kids on video games can cheat thier wayt to a 'win', and how well does that work in the 'real' world. I find more excitement doing it right, and the 'dead' concept means you lost, and you restart. I have done the COD series, Battlefield series, and I guess my real life finds these games boring when you can just keep going if and when you screw up.

Entertainment should have some form of lesson to it, from chess to monopoly games have taught some form of social awareness, these video games just teach kids that 'cheats' are OK, and means you will win regardless.

Edited by oldsoldier - 28 June 2010 at 5:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic