Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You know what I hate about todays games?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 6:14pm
I'd be down for an AoE game this weekend. Set up some type of rules to make sure it lasts a long time?  Someone shoot me a pm if they start to set it up.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 7:19pm
How do you all feel about using Google Docs, or some other live chatting system to make sure we set all this up correctly? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Back in the day with board games there was a finite winner/loser concept. Now kids on video games can cheat thier wayt to a 'win', and how well does that work in the 'real' world. I find more excitement doing it right, and the 'dead' concept means you lost, and you restart.

While it can be frustrating to die repeatedly, I enjoy overcoming a challenging game much more than "winning" one that basically gives you the victory.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Dead Space was/is a great game... probably the only game in recent time that has scared the living bejeezus out of me on a regular basis.
Great game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I didn't find the game to be that scary. I'm very impatiently awaiting a new Doom game, because Doom 4 was in my opinion one of the scariest games I can remember playing.

Edit: One of my favorite games to play multi-player is splinter cell. I still play double agent online, the only aggravating thing is so many people have moved onto playing different games now that it's hard to find a party to play with. But the game play itself is awesome, imho.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 28 June 2010 at 8:37pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

[
That's awesome, I thought I was the only one. I've been using that Game Ranger, or whatever it's called, service to relive some AoE good times without the hassle of trying to make the IP connection work (total PITA on Windows 7 for some reason) through firewalls and anti virus. A friend of mine will always hook up and continue long ass games in between classes at school. Good times.

Do you have an instant messenger? If so, let's set up a time and I'll be glad to play along for a few games. I'd love to play someone I know. 

That goes for anyone else who wants to play along on here. 

I'm awful at this game though, fair warning. 

I've been playing it since high school, but - much like chess - time logged has not reflected in skill acquired.

I usually accept I cannot win on my own and try and form an allegiance with a stronger player and devote my whole time to resource mining and scouting, or being a pest and slowing down their enemy. 

Nothing better than sending a hoard of workers to build two dozen watchtowers around the enemy and keep putting them back after they get torn down. 

Oh, and as a side note: My friend gave me a copy of Sims 3 a few months ago. 

The amount of hours I have logged into that game is embarrassing. The new achievement setup is addicting. 

No worries, I'm absolutely terrible at AoE games. The buddy I play with is basically a genius at everything, so I never really play for wins so much as making the battles interesting, lol.

I have MS Messenger, or I can download anything that the rest of you guys might have if you're up for a game. We've always used Game Ranger to set up the games, seems to make the process so much easier.

Also, if anyone is interested in downloading AoE 2 with the expansion, PM me and I'll let you know how to get it. I'm up for a forum game.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:48pm
I have AoE, weekend killfest might fun.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 1:54pm
I never got into serious war-sim shooters. I will be the first to admit that I am not a big gamer. I enjoy the occasional run-and-gun session in Unreal with some friends, but don't have the time to invest into a more realistic game.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 3:27pm
AoE 2? I am so down. I hope my disk isn't scratched up too bad.
Que pasa?

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 6:10pm
Anyone ever play Supreme Commander? Pretty insane game, but pretty demanding
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 6:16pm
I love realistic games, but only to a degree. Flight Simulator is an example of a game being too realistic.
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 6:20pm
The Flight Simulator series is for a niche market, though.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I love realistic games, but only to a degree. Flight Simulator is an example of a game being too realistic.

Realism should be used when it is more fun to be realistic than it is to bend the rules. Flying planes realistically is a lot more fun than it is with arcade style motion. There are a lot more interesting things you can do with a realistic aircraft simulation. Case in point: HAWX and the latest Ace Combat had an F-22s available for use. In Ace Combat, it handled just like the other jets. In HAWX, it was so extremely stable when exercising its mobility that it wasn't really fun.

X-Plane, the most realistic of the flight simulators for the average consumer, comes with an F-22. You can use the vectored thrust just like you can in real life, which makes it a hell of a lot more fun than its counterparts in arcade fighter games. And even X-Plane doesn't model everything that makes aerobatic flying. Many of the most fun things you can do in a plane involve stalling its wing, and the stall models in most simulators need serious work.

The problem for those of us who enjoy realism is the larger population that doesn't. The companies that go for realistic gameplay survive in part because there are businesses out there that want to use their games as simulations. Forza, ARMA, X-Plane, Full Spectrum Warrior, and other such games have versions or are derived from software that have practical use in the real world.

Ideally, games should at least include options to push for realism. It doesn't take many tweaks to do this for shooters, as evidenced by the SWAT game modes of Halo and the Hardcore modes of Call of Duty. Vehicle simulators take more work, but they almost always have options to make the driving arcade-like.

What really bugs me are the games in the former category which limit your options. IIRC, MW2 has only two hardcore modes, and it gives you no ability to make your own gametypes. It's total bullocks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic