Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$200 Laser/Lightsaber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

7. Michael Bay
That would be quite the explosion
I'm thinking it would be along the lines of a ladyfinger going off.  That way you'd know for sure that all the big explosions in anything he directed was his way of compensating for something.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 7:28pm
They recently released a video of it in action.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 7:30pm
Thats seriously insane, even looking at the dot it projects would damage your eyes, I'm almost positive. Big downside of a laser THAT visible, it's immediately obvious who it is.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 12:28am
that's ridiculous.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 1:06am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Thats seriously insane, even looking at the dot it projects would damage your eyes, I'm almost positive. Big downside of a laser THAT visible, it's immediately obvious who it is.

Yeah that's why they send you some safety glasses, but I think I'm going to order a better pair next week.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 7:09pm
So did anyone go to the site and read the warning? Not only can it obviously cause blindness, but it can also alter or remove your perception of green. Shining it on bare skin can cause cancer, as it exceeds your skins limit 75 times....

Originally posted by website website wrote:

Prolonged exposure to blue laser light can alter and have a diminishing effect on a person's perception of the color green.Patients who were treated for being exposed too long to intense blue laser light in the milliwatt range were only able to perceive the green color in a period of about 4-6 months.

The blue wavelength can cause a distinct biochemical action in the release of free radicals which are then effectively absorbed by red blood cells in the capillaries. Blue laser light, 445nm or 470nm is absorbed more effectively by retinal tissue compared to 532nm green or 650nm red laser light.

Though laser safety goggles can protect a person's vision, it's always best to remember NEVER to look into a laser beam or bright reflection even when wearing laser safety goggles. Overall, the best protection is still in arming oneself with preventive knowledge and to exercise responsibility and proper restraint when using lasers.

Direct or indirect skin exposure to blue laser light is also harmful. The MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) for skin for a 3mm beam of this wavelength is approximately 200mW/CM^2. This is laser can easily generate a power density (irradiance) of about 15 Watts/CM^2. Therefore, this laser's beam exceeds the skin exposure MPE by ( 15 / 0.2 ) = 75 times. At this level of irradiance, skin exposure to the intense blue laser light can possibly cause cancer. Do not allow bare skin to be exposed, including your face when wearing safety goggles, to light diffusely reflected from any surface closer than several inches. This laser is a thousand times stronger than sunlight on skin and any type of exposure should be avoided whether it be from the collimated beam or close exposure to its bright diffused reflections.

Blue light hazard can cause BLINDNESS and not just color perception issues. The power of this laser is no joke, at 1W the Spyder III Pro Arctic is a Class 4 Laser. Do not allow unprotected eye exposure to diffusely scattered light from the beam terminating on a wall, the floor or other flat surface from this laser closer than 3 feet. Accidental eye exposure will definitely result in instant retina tissue damage even within just milliseconds of exposure. Direct eye contact with the beam or reflected will cause instant permanent damage and blindness. Sometimes blindness may take a day or longer for the onset. Unlike instant injury from a bright flash of a red or green laser, this effect is cumulative over 24 hours. It is also possible that such an exposure could cause retinal degeneration and even loss of vision later in life.

This is a very serious issue and would like to reiterate that extreme care, proper safety gear and the necessary safety precautions be followed when using the Spyder III Pro Arctic, it is not a toy, it is a high power Class 4 1W laser. In addition, this laser must NEVER be used to play with your pets. At close range, this Class 4 beam will cause immediate and irreversable retinal damage. Close proximity to the beam's diffused reflection off floors and walls could potentially cause injury and blindness. In general, DO NOT aim this laser on yourself, on your skin, on animals, on others or target moving vehicles and airplanes.

The Spyder III Pro Arctic blue laser should only be handheld by individuals who have appropriate laser safety training and product familiarity in using Class 4 lasers. For more information and guidance please refer to ANSI Standard Z136.1 from the American National Standards Institute on the safe use of lasers.

I'm starting a countdown until someone is blinded at a concert, likely a performer.

Edited by choopie911 - 29 June 2010 at 7:12pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 7:38pm
Can possibly cause cancer, and besides why would you shine it on your skin? It starts burning skin instantly.

They recently announced the Arctic will ship with a training lens that cuts the power output by 75%. Also I don't see many people taking these to a show as the thing is XBOX HUEG. Not to mention the extremely long wait to get one is probably the best deterrent for all the immature people who ordered one.

There is a lot of speculation out on the net right now that this might be some sort of scam or that the lasers won't make it through customs. I'm not uber worried as customs lets countless bongs in through the mail every day. As for the whole IT'S A TRAP scare going on, perfect. I hope a bunch of retards get impatient and cancel their orders, just means mine gets here faster. Thumbs Up
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 9:39pm
HV,
UVEX laser safety glasses.  I use those at work.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:26pm
Wow it even looks like a lightsaber.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

Wow it even looks like a lightsaber.

And that could be a problem. Word is George Lucas has sent cease and desist letters to Wicked Lasers, because he thinks they are in the wrong calling it a lightsaber. But Lucas should really be upset at all the tech blogs who copypasta'd the article from Gizmodo calling it a lightsaber. Wicked Lasers has never claimed it to be a lightsaber, check their site. IMO WL needs to tell Lucas to eat it because he didn't have a problem with their Spyder III host(the body of the laser) when it came out well over a year ago. WL simply took a reliable host they already designed and stuck the 445nm blue diode up in it with a new driver, the battery/lens/heatsink are the same you'd find on the Spyder III lasers. I'm not worried about Lucas screwing this up as it would never hold up in court.

Anyway, WL stopped with the maybes and shoulds and finally said the lasers start shipping on Monday. Again, I don't expect mine to head out with the first batch or two because a ton of people ordered before I had the chance. I just have to remain patient a little longer or I could actually order a DIY kit with the host, driver, battery, heatsink and lens. Then all I'd have to do is procure a blue diode and I could build my own 1W 445nm laser. It would cost less than the Arctic but the main reason I'm not building my own is the WL host's thermoelectric cooler performs much better than just a standard heatsink around the diode.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 2:49am
Bump. Shipping got delayed for the final time, at least we have a solid date now and no more of that lol 2 more weeks crap. The still-new-and-ever-improving Arctic is scheduled to begin shipping no later than July 15th.

Supposedly this is why it's taking so long: http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/smart_switch.html

I'm pleased the output can be lowered without the addition of the training lens, which they are still including, because now with the laser set to stun and the power reducing lens/filter in place I can actually show some friends without blinding them permanently. Else, they'd have to drop $80 on their own pair of safety glasses to lase with me at full power.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:54pm
So what are you going to do with it?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 3:25am
Burn stuff, amaze myself and others with the immensely bright beam, ignite a bowl, and possibly work it into some photography. My father figures without too much work we could give amateur holography a shot. I'm totally open to suggestions here though. If anyone has an idea for a legitimate use* post it up.

*Other than things to burn.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 5:32am
See if you can use refraction within clouds to light them up at night. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

See if you can use refraction within clouds to light them up at night. 

That's a really cool idea actually, and if it works at all I'd expect different clouds to have different reactions. I'd REALLY like to see what that thing looks like in the afternoon from about a mile away, shining straight up. Like, is it still uber visible and concerning, or would it be much less intense.

Be super careful with the bowl lighting, that's SUPER close to your face/ body with lots and lots of reflective surfaces at different angles.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 8:24pm
That's why I'm buying eye protection better than what Wicked Lasers offers. Getting some nice glasses that are OD 7+ at 445nm wavelength. They will allow me to burn stuff and use the laser for w/e else at very close range.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:37pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 2:03am
Surely I'm well justified in saying OLD here.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:05am
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR DAMN LASER HV
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:05am
<3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic