Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What grinds your gears?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Joined: 03 January 2004
Location: R'lyeh
Status: Offline
Points: 12518
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 4:38pm
Naggers.
Back to Top
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Time for a C-Section!

Joined: 15 November 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4807
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 4:42pm
I don't have to grind gears...I make them on a laser.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!


Back to Top
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Joined: 10 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Drug commercials.First of all, I'm going to take whatever my doctor prescribes to me, so there's not "talking to my doctor about."


Bad view on your own health there, buddy.


Because the guy with the degree in medicine couldn't possibly be better at prescribing medicine than I am?

.......?

KBK


First, as Dave said, Docs get rewarded / kickbacks from pharm companies.

Second, 50% of all doctors were at the bottom half of their class. I had a Doctor refuse to give a patient with chest pain Aspirin because I, a Paramedic, was not on scene yet...


And third... everyone should have a vested interest in their health. If a doctor wants to put you on a medication, know why, ask why that one, and know everything you can, not only about your medical condition, but about the drugs you're on.

Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:


First, as Dave said, Docs get rewarded / kickbacks from pharm companies.


Like I said, no problem with the doc giving me a med he gets a kickback from, if I need the med. I'll agree with you that if I DON'T need the med we are on the same page.

Quote
Second, 50% of all doctors were at the bottom half of their class. ...
Maybe the South African medical schools differ from the ones in the States, but being in the bottom half of the guys who score 80% and above isn't a bad thing hey.


Quote And third... everyone should have a vested interest in their health. If a doctor wants to put you on a medication, know why, ask why that one, and know everything you can, not only about your medical condition, but about the drugs you're on.


It's people like you that get put into the hold. Seriously. I hate it when people second guess me. Everyone does things differently. While there must be a basic plan that everyone will follow, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Just because something doesn't always gel with what you expect doesn't mean it won't work. Like I long to tell the pilots who question me, shut the hell up and fly my headings/speeds. It is amazing how everyone hits the ILS at 3000' @ 11nm @ 180kts 5nm entrail. Wow. It's almost like I know what I'm doing and have spent 15 years getting there.

I don't need to ask why, or why that one, or know everything I can know about my meds/condition. Mainly because I trust my doctors, but also because they tell me up front.

I've recently finished a course of antibiotics with a decongestant and a nasal spray. The doc told me up front why that one anti biotic, why thet decongestant and why that nasal spray. They told me what they will do, and why they recomended those over the others.

It doesn't help that I have a fairly restrictive list of what I can take and still work, but thems the breaks. I go to a medical practitioner for them to fix a problem. It sort of invalidates the whole idea if I'm gonna try self medicate anyway.

Sure, ask if you want, but really they could tell you whatever they wanted and mostly people won't be able to argue.

KBK
Back to Top
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Joined: 10 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:


First, as Dave said, Docs get rewarded / kickbacks from pharm companies.


Like I said, no problem with the doc giving me a med he gets a kickback from, if I need the med. I'll agree with you that if I DON'T need the med we are on the same page.


And that is exactly why I said know why you're taking something. How will you know if you need it if you don't ask?




Quote
Quote
Second, 50% of all doctors were at the bottom half of their class. ...
Maybe the South African medical schools differ from the ones in the States, but being in the bottom half of the guys who score 80% and above isn't a bad thing hey.
You obviously missed the joke there :P


Quote
Quote And third... everyone should have a vested interest in their health. If a doctor wants to put you on a medication, know why, ask why that one, and know everything you can, not only about your medical condition, but about the drugs you're on.


It's people like you that get put into the hold. Seriously. I hate it when people second guess me. Everyone does things differently. While there must be a basic plan that everyone will follow, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Just because something doesn't always gel with what you expect doesn't mean it won't work. Like I long to tell the pilots who question me, shut the hell up and fly my headings/speeds. It is amazing how everyone hits the ILS at 3000' @ 11nm @ 180kts 5nm entrail. Wow. It's almost like I know what I'm doing and have spent 15 years getting there.


If you REALLY want the play the "I know what I'm talking about" game, I will just have to pull out my Paramedic card and trump you on the topic of medicine we are currently talking about, as I would assume a healthcare professional would know more about medicine than an air traffic controller, just as an ATC would know more about planes than a Paramedic, no?



I'm not saying act like you know better than the person who you go to help for... I'm saying know about your condition. I don't understand how ANYONE would not want to know what's wrong with their body.


I've asked people if they had high blood pressure, and they would answer no. Looking at their meds, I'd see they were on medications ONLY for high blood pressure, and I'd ask why they take those meds. Answer would be "Oh something called hypertension". (For those not in the know, hypertension IS high blood pressure)


I had someone tell me they had an "arrhythmia", and when I asked which one, they said "There's more than one?" and couldn't recall the name, assuming "arrhythmia" WAS the name.


Quote I don't need to ask why, or why that one, or know everything I can know about my meds/condition. Mainly because I trust my doctors, but also because they tell me up front.
Sure ya do! Docs make mistakes ALL the time. It actually is not that uncommon. But you as a person have, not only the right, but the expectation, to know the condition you're being put on drugs for.


Back to Top
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Joined: 04 February 2008
Location: Yankee Stadium
Status: Offline
Points: 5676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:18pm
People that get totally off topic and start talking about health crap in a thread about grinding gears.
 
With that said, most everything mentioned in the previous posts plus:
 
People passing on country roads only to slow down and turn 1/4 down the road. I like to honk and wave when I catch up to them and have to sit behind them while they wait for oncoming traffic to go by.
 
People that have to "one up" all of the time.
 
Hypocrisy. Especially among Christians.
Lying. Especially among Christians.
Deception. Especially among Christians
People that complain about how things are done wrong, but refuse to help change them or lend a hand. Especially among Christians.
People with kids that are nearly self sufficient, but say they can't contribute because they have to watch the kids. Especially among Christians.
 
Oh, yeah, it's that time of year when my wife is trying to finalize things for the Church camp that my father in law and she organize every year. Can you tell?
 
White trash parents who come into school and accuse my wife of telling her 5 year that he probably deserved getting his arse kicked because he called someone a f...er, or told them to lick his "unit" for about the 10th time this year.
 
 
 
 
 
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

How will you know if you need it if you don't ask?
Well if I go in for a runny nose and they suggest Chemo, I'd be suspicious.

Quote I would assume a healthcare professional would know more about medicine than an air traffic controller, just as an ATC would know more about planes than a Paramedic, no?


Which is kinda my point. The guy I'm paying R300/visit knows more about it than I do. If he says the antibiotic will clear up the infection in my sinus, the nasal spray and the decongestant will decongest me, and there isn't anything in those meds I'm allergic to and they aren't on the proscribed list, what's the issue? If he gets a bigger cut from the purple pill company and the purple pill and the yellow pill will do the same job and cost the same, what difference does it make if he gives me purple pills?

Quote Docs make mistakes ALL the time. It actually is not that uncommon. But you as a person have, not only the right, but the expectation, to know the condition you're being put on drugs for.



Yeah, the drugs are probably going to treat whatever symptoms you are presenting when the doctor examines you. Even if docs make mistakes, I wouldn't know any better, would I? If they are mistaken, they can tell you all the right reasons for giving you the purple pill, but they could be mixing it up with the Magenta pill. How would you know anyway?

Like often happens we seem to be talking across each other. I've never had a doctor give me any meds without telling me what they are for. I don't see the point in asking questions about it. You are paying them to give you the meds. If they don't volunteer ANY info up front, then I'll probably agree with you. But in my exprience I've NEVER had a doc give me something without saying what it was for, or why he was giving it.

You can pull the Paramedic card all you want. I was just saying that people questioning professionals always strikes me as a little silly. You don't get to be a professional without going through some pretty serious training.If you don't trust them, why go to them? I also don't have any expereince with paramedics and prescribing medication. Honestly? I'd want a medic to patch me together after an accident, but I'd still go to a doctor to fix the sore throat I've got. You might operate in the same general field, but that's like getting a Procedural controler's input on a Radar controler technique. I'll agree that if you have a medical condition that is chronic, or will change treatement given later in life, know the details.

Maybe that's where the miscommunication has come in. I'd split it as anything a GP treats you can probably ignore the details. If you see a specialist, start writing things down :p

KBK
Back to Top
PAINTBALL1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1336
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAINTBALL1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:37pm
I feel as though so much of my gear grinding has come from the clinic on base. From the dbag NCO that attempted to make me leave the room during my wifes appointment while I was proving him wrong; to the LNP that told us she (a civilian) would have to discuss with a LtCol about whether or not they will get my wife a referral for a second opinion.

A second opinion is a right, not something granted by someone who has their finger in the bowl that doesn't belong to them. I'm also extremely annoyed with the amount of BS that we have to endure in order to get things done. The past 16 months of dealing with this clinic have been hell.
USAF Special Weapons Technician.
Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

People that get totally off topic and start talking about health crap in a thread about grinding gears.


People who get their gears ground by a forum being more than just a list of bulleted points.

Quote Forum - noun

1)an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

2)A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website


KBK
Back to Top
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Joined: 04 February 2008
Location: Yankee Stadium
Status: Offline
Points: 5676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

People that get totally off topic and start talking about health crap in a thread about grinding gears.


People who get their gears ground by a forum being more than just a list of bulleted points.

Quote Forum - noun

1)an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

2)A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website


KBK
Turn your humor meter back on. It was meant as friendly ribbing.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Back to Top
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Joined: 31 July 2004
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 4185
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 8:40pm
oh I thought of another one,

Centrifugal Force!

There is no such thing, stop sounding like idiot and call it centripetal force.

and  De-Acceleration, ugh.


Edited by FROG MAN - 10 June 2010 at 8:48pm
<1 meg sig = bad>
Back to Top
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Joined: 10 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

How will you know if you need it if you don't ask?
Well if I go in for a runny nose and they suggest Chemo, I'd be suspicious.


Ahh, but here's the thing, what if you are prescribed Lisinopril for your high blood pressure but instead you really needed Lebatolol? You don't know either of those two drugs, do ya? How would you without caring about your own health?


How would you know what is / is not for you without first asking why that drug in particular, and second, knowing about your disease, even just to a rudimentary level? I don't expect my patients to know half as much about their disease as I do, but they need to know what they do or do not have.

Back to Top
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
request denied

Joined: 27 October 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 3192
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 10:38pm
Pretty much Kayback said it. All of the doctors that I've been to told me up front the side effects and the reason for giving me the drug. Plus they know what they are doing because I've never been to a doctor who has had less than 10 years experience in their field. Maybe it's because we research doctors/use other doctor's referrals to find the right one before hand.
Back to Top
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Joined: 10 November 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

we research doctors/use other doctor's referrals to find the right one before hand.


Hate to break it to ya after you agreed with KBK, but that right there is exactly what I was saying the whole time.   

Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:


Hate to break it to ya after you agreed with KBK, but that right there is exactly what I was saying the whole time.   


I thought so, we are talking about the same thing.

I say find a doctor you can trust up front, you say make sure you can trust your doctor.

I honestly don't see the point of going to a professional and then questioning them. I'll trust their extensive training. Because of your inside info you probably aren't inclined to. You probably also have enough knowledge to be able to debate with them.

OldPBNOOB. Yeah, I probably should have but honestly that IS something that grinds my gears. When people post things like TL:DR! Or Wall of text post! and then complain that someone had the audacity to write more than 100 words in a single topic. Or complain that when a topic is on page 15 that it is no longer on topic. (I know this isn't page 15, but you get the idea).

KBK


Back to Top
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
future target of fratricide

Joined: 13 October 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 7:26am
Originally posted by FROG MAN FROG MAN wrote:

oh I thought of another one,

Centrifugal Force!

There is no such thing, stop sounding like idiot and call it centripetal force.

and  De-Acceleration, ugh.


Sorry, but centrifugal force is real, regardless of it not being a force.  There's a reason the term was invented.
BU Engineering 2012
Back to Top
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Joined: 09 October 2006
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 1948
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 9:56am
People who will correct the slightest mistake in writing or speaking. Even when it's still clear what was meant. Your, You're etc we get it, your dead clever don't point it out. If you do you are a knob.

People who say "I could care less" When they dont care.
Rude/ ignorant people. When I meet someone I'll introduce myself and have a chat with them when someone just sits there like im talking to a brick wall or doesnt even make eye contact so I cant introduce myself in the first place.
Naggers.
Credit checks when applying for a job. Why the hell do you need to know that? How can i sort out my credit when I have no job thus no dosh?
The Spanish.
The English (Not just in a Auld enemy way but they are all backwards people)
Fat chicks.
Fat dudes.
Being poor.

there are loads more but I cant really think just now.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Back to Top
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Joined: 09 October 2006
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 1948
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 10:54am
Oh and finding 10 ps3's 15 Xbox 360's and about 30 ps2's to find out they're all knackered.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 11:14am
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

People who will correct the slightest mistake in writing or speaking. Even when it's still clear what was meant. Your, You're etc we get it, your dead clever don't point it out. If you do you are a knob.


I'll agree up to a point. Typo's and spelling mistakes and the like I'll accept.

But we are talking (reading/writing) English here. If you don't have the basic levels of proficiency in it, look them up.

If you consistantly don't use punctuation and use the wrong words it can make reading someone's post a headache.

Refusing to follow the basic rules of grammar because "you are special and everyone should know what you mean" makes you the knob. Seriously. Language and writing was developed to convey abstract ideas to people, it has taken many many years to get to where it is. Follow the rules and there won't be any misunderstandings. They aren't that hard.

Does it really save time to type "your" instead of "you're" when you are trying to shorted "you are" ?!

Lack of use of propper grammar grinds my pecks.

KBK
Back to Top
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Has no impulse! control

Joined: 13 January 2004
Location: 2nd Circle
Status: Offline
Points: 9815
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

] . . . and there isn't anything in those meds I'm allergic to and they aren't on the proscribed list . . .

This can be an issue.  Years ago I had a doctor proscribe something for my ex that she was allergic too.  She didn't catch it and neither did the doctor (despite the fact it was clearly marked on the cover of her medical records.)  The only reason she didn't take it was because I was there and asked the correct questions.

If there is one thing dealing with the military medical establishment has taught me it is that there are some amazingly incompetent people out there with medical degrees practicing* medicine out there.

I was just saying that people questioning professionals always strikes me as a little silly. You don't get to be a professional without going through some pretty serious training.

There are incompetent people in every career field.  Sometimes they aren't discovered until they kill somebody.  I'm sure that both you (Kayback) and Linus work with people who you are certain are just an accident waiting to happen (to someone else).

If you don't trust them, why go to them

Because unlike their coworkers, their "customers" may not yet know what losers they actually are.






*The term "practicing" is so appropriate; because they haven't got it right yet.

Edited by Mack - 11 June 2010 at 11:36am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.