FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

360 repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 repairs
    Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:26am
So I got bored and decided to fix my old 360 that's been sitting in my closet. It's been an adventure!

So it broke a year or so ago, where the DVD drive wouldn't stay closed. I looked it up yesterday and read that the magnet probably just came unglued and needed to be reset. Great, simple fix I thought! I took it apart today and saw what the thread I was looking at was talking about. After resetting the magnet with a bit of glue I put it back together to the point of being able to test it out. Stays closed! However I noticed red rings....damn. Well I looked at ways to fix that since I had it all apart. Did the "penny" trick and it worked....but wait! I never had the 3 red rings of death! I simple had a full red ring (all 4 lit up) meaning I didn't have the AV cable plugged in. Turns out I didn't need to fix that at all. Well too late! Now the fans run really loud because they are working twice as hard. However now the DVD drive stays closed but makes a HORRIBLE grinding noise like it's scratching the disc. Sometimes it will play a game but it will usually start making the grinding noise and skip back to the intro. I'm thinking maybe I need to reset everything back to it's original starting point but it didn't fix it.

Looked it up, and a new drive is about 35 bucks shipped but I just don't have/want to spend that kind of money for something I already have 1 of working. Anyone ever had this problem as apposed to the red rings? Or better yet does anyone have an old Xbox where they wouldn't mind donating me the DVD drive? Not trying to buy in order to comply with forum rules, but I am trying to save some money. Anyways that's my story of the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic