Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom Velocity Screw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom Velocity Screw
    Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:25pm
i lost my tippmann 98 custom pro velocity screw, and i bought another one. when it came i tried to screw it in and it didn't go. maybe the whole thing is stripped out? i don't know. i was just wondering if i could buy a whole new bolt for the gun so i could use this. it may sound like overkill, but i kind of need to be able to adjust the velocity on my gun.Wink
Hubb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:56pm
Well, you can get a replacement powertube for hardly anything.  It would probably come with a velocity screw as well.  But when you say you tried to screw it in and it didn't go, do you mean that it just wouldn't fit in the hole or would just keep turning and turning?
Hubb
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:37pm
turning and turning. Cry
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 4:11am
Two options (in no particular order).

Option 1:
Buy a new powertube from www.tippmannparts.com if it in fact stripped.

or

Option 2:
Purchase a rear velocity adjuster and plug the hole to the velocity screw. I personally like this option because the rear velocity adjuster is a much more efficient way of regulating your velocity.

Also, this type of thread should be in the Gun Maintenance and Repair section of the forum.

Edited by Monk - 30 May 2010 at 4:12am
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:03am
Monk makes a good point but I have two related considerations to add:
  • If possible find a velocity adjuster that has the matching notch in it similar to your custom pro's end cap.*  This will prevent the adjuster from just turning between the body shells when being used.  (If you can't find one like this a bit of duct tape around the space between the two rings will make for a tighter fit.)
  • Make sure the adjuster has a lock screw to secure velocity settings in place.  Many of the adjusters that don't will work loose over time resulting in decreasing velocity.

*I believe most of the custom pros have this.
Itsnivlem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsnivlem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 11:00pm
How would you plug the hole on the barrel? If I get a new bolt would it have a velocity adjuster on the side also?
Galen Adams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galen Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 1:00pm
Parts List for Tippmann 98 Custom Pro Platinum ACT

As @Mack said, you can go with a RVA or Rear Velocity adjuster as well which would just replace your end cap and let you adjust your spring tension.  The JCS Rear Velocity Adjuster for Tippmann 98's will fit all of the 98's including the ACT's.  It uses a locking ring instead of a tab to keep it in place and it also has a nylon set screw to lock your velocity in place.

JCS Black Point Rear Velocity Adjuster [98]

Galen Adams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galen Adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Itsnivlem Itsnivlem wrote:

How would you plug the hole on the barrel? If I get a new bolt would it have a velocity adjuster on the side also?

I dunno.   The typical way would be to thread in a plug but it sounds like your threads are stripped so I don't think that'd be an option.  Probably have to replace the power tube and put in a new velocity screw which it sounds like you already have.  So then you're back to your stock side screw velocity adjustment and you may or may not need/want a rear velocity adjuster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic