Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Accurate 98 Custom Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Accurate 98 Custom Barrel
    Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:15am
what is the most accurate barrel i could get for a tippmann 98 custom? i don't want the flatline, because it butchers the accuracy. i don't like the apex either, not so into the curving the whole ball idea, too cheap in my opinion. Wink i was looking at the J&J ceramic barrels though, how are they in terms of accuracy? i was also looking at the Dye Boomstick, or the two piece dye. however, i can only find the "Back" part of the barrel, can someone please show me the front to one of these? my last question would be, how long should the barrel be? thanks.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:16am

Best accuracy is gotten from good paint to barrel bore match. This can best me acheived by buying a kit with backs that are either different sizes or have different sized inserts. The J&J Edge/Edge Elite would be an example of the first, while a Smart Parts Freak kit would be an example of the second. However, both of these kits are at least $100+ new and the Freak kit may be harder to find right now due to SP's current financial issues.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 2:43pm
thanks man. really appreciate it.
Hubb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:25pm
First off, if the Flatline is set up and used properly, it can be just as accurate as other barrels.

Now that that's out of the way (and I'll probably get flamed...), the most accurate barrel is the one with a good paint to bore match, as oldpbnoob indicated.  He's already mentioned kits, so I won't

But if you are looking for just a single barrel (that's cheaper than a kit or a Flatline in some circumstances), you need look no further than a PPS brass barrel.  It has elliptical honing down the bore, which means that at least some part of the barrel will be an exact match, while other parts will (may) be overbored, and the remainder (maybe) will be underbored.  I've yet to use a barrel than can fire just about any paint with equal accuracy.

Edited by Hubb - 24 May 2010 at 4:59pm
Hubb
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 12:13am
thanks to the both of you, still trying to figure it out, but now i know which way im leaning. Smile
Bob Swagger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Swagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 2:14am
J&Js are good.  I own a 12" Ceramic.  I also hear good things about Lapco Bigshots.  I couldn't tell you which is better as I haven't used the bigshot, but it is apex ready.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Tippmann A5
Polished Internals
J&J 12" ceramic barrel
Maddog double trigger
Hudson View Drop Down
Likes sparking things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 2:55pm
i never even heard of them, let me do a little studying. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic