Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gearing up for the new season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WisCowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WisCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gearing up for the new season
    Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:56pm
So it's been a few years since I went out to a field.  I've been busy working on my degree and working my way up the ladder.  So, I moved at the beginning of the month here and thought I would dust off my gear for a nearby field.

Having been out of the game for a bit means my gear's a bit dated but still as strong as a tank.  I got into paintball about 12 years ago and I've had the same paintball gun from the start.  I have a TM 68-Carbine.  I've been VERY happy with it over the years.  I've played with it in the rain and cold with very few issues, if any at all.  I think the 98 custom came out at about the time I bought it but the gun store where I bought my gun from gave me a "life-time" repair guaranty plus it was suppost to be a free upgraded version of the normal gun (it had a CO2 expansion handle and later got the free steel hopper elbow).  Well.... my "life-time" guaranty ended up lasting 2 or 3 years.  He said the parts became too hard to come by and then he switched his rental field guns to another brand.

So, I've striped my gun down and started to clean it and was ready to put it back together and oil it.  However, I haven't checked it for bad seals or leaks yet and I didn't notice any the last time I had it out a few years ago; but the O-rings have been on this gun from the start and I've been thinking about replacing them since I have it apart now.  I'm also curious about the Front Bolt.  It's made out of nylon and has a few grooves scratched into the sides of it from sand and debris getting into the top of the barrel over the years.  It doesn't look bad but I remember a few of the field guns the guy had that got pretty beat up and he said after awhile that they begin to leak air after being chewed up.  So, I guess what my primary concern is after all these years if it's possible to get ahold of a Front Bolt for a TM 68 and know what O-rings I need to replace?  I don't "think" I need them but it would be great to have them on hand when needed.

I guess I'll piggy-back on 2 other questions here as well to try to get some help with known issues I have.  I've been curious to buy a X7 phenom but only after I reastablish my gaming mind.  So, back when I started, CO2 was a main-stay.  Compressed gas was coming out and was expensive as heck.  So I see that there's Nitrogen gas as well now.  Are the 2 of them comparable in pros and cons or is one better then the other?  With a gun that's 12+ years old, will I be able to use either gas in both guns?  I was also thinking about picking up a 4500psi 68ci.  Besides brand names, is that your average gas bottle now or is there something better?

I also have a remote that's been acting bad.  When I disconnect the receiver it just shoots out air.  I swear when I first got it, it didn't.  I thought I used to be able to disconnect my gun from my remote so I could get something off the field and then come right back and connect my gun again and off I went.  Of course, it's been a few years so maybe I had to turn off the valve first but it feels uncomfortable doing that and I would think I would have remembered that.  So, just to be clear, I'm not talking about bleeding the gas off in my gun, I'm talking about the air in the hose of the remote.  That just disconnecting my remore with the gas on will let the gas leak out of the remote.  So, is that actually normal or is something broken and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for the help guys.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by WisCowboy WisCowboy wrote:

So, I guess what my primary concern is after all these years if it's possible to get ahold of a Front Bolt for a TM 68 and know what O-rings I need to replace?  I don't "think" I need them but it would be great to have them on hand when needed.

Im not familiar with the 68 Carbine, but it is possible that Pro-Carbine bolts may fit. I would check elsewhere first. The front bolt o-ring is probabily compatible with a tank o-ring. Worst case scenario, people over at mcarterbrown.com can probably turn you a new delrin bolt. For all of my older guns, I check tippmannparts.com first.

I guess I'll piggy-back on 2 other questions here as well to try to get some help with known issues I have.  I've been curious to buy a X7 phenom but only after I reastablish my gaming mind.  So, back when I started, CO2 was a main-stay.  Compressed gas was coming out and was expensive as heck.  So I see that there's Nitrogen gas as well now.  Are the 2 of them comparable in pros and cons or is one better then the other?  With a gun that's 12+ years old, will I be able to use either gas in both guns? 

Nitrogen=Compressed air. Same thing, different names. Yes, you will be able to use it in your 68 special, although some people reccomend using C02 with them. Why? C02 is often at a higher, more unstable pressure. The valve design on those(which is similar to my F/A, I believe)  may or may not function better with C02. If you have a leakproof, well kept, freshly sealed marker I would reccomend trying an HPA tank. Chances are, espically in the cold, you'll love it.

I was also thinking about picking up a 4500psi 68ci.  Besides brand names, is that your average gas bottle now or is there something better?

No. Some people like 4500psi/45ci tanks for their size but I like 45/68s. I reccomend Ninja tanks, as they are Made in USA and have excellent customer service.

I also have a remote that's been acting bad.  When I disconnect the receiver it just shoots out air.  I swear when I first got it, it didn't.  I thought I used to be able to disconnect my gun from my remote so I could get something off the field and then come right back and connect my gun again and off I went.  Of course, it's been a few years so maybe I had to turn off the valve first but it feels uncomfortable doing that and I would think I would have remembered that.  So, just to be clear, I'm not talking about bleeding the gas off in my gun, I'm talking about the air in the hose of the remote.  That just disconnecting my remore with the gas on will let the gas leak out of the remote.  So, is that actually normal or is something broken and is there a way to fix it?

It depends on the remote. Some remotes will just dump out gas, others are "quick release" or "slide check" remotes and allow you to well.....disconnect quickly. You probably have a dry rotted o-ring. Check your local store. If you have a cheapy remote, some websites sell quick disconnect fittings. I believe Palmers Pursuit does.

Thanks for the help guys.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 1:24am
If your concern is air leakage, I wouldn't worry about replacing the front bolt as it doesn't "hold" air.  It only acts as a guide for the air and serves to push the ball into the chamber.  If there is an o-ring on the front of the front bolt you will want it to be in good condition as this o-ring prevents air from blowing back past the bolt during firing and a bad o-ring at this location can cause low or erratic velocity.

Being as this is an older Tippmann, my personal recommendation is to just run CO2 on it since it is set up with the expansion chamber anyway. If you're running remote the line acts as an additional expansion chamber as well.

Edited by Mack - 24 May 2010 at 1:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic