Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5 makes a funny sound... balls roll out barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tiwaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiwaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5 makes a funny sound... balls roll out barrel
    Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:38am
I just overhauled my A5 because I jumped out of a tree fort and my gas line snapped in the middle of a game.  After reassembling everything I find the gun is not working properly.  Everything seems to be in the right place, but somewhere along the way the gas is being restricted too much. 

I have a CO2 tank running from the bottom of the handle over to a funny shaped front handle with a screw in the side of it.  From that handle it enters into a low pressure kit and then into the marker (Tombstone?).

When I depress the trigger after gassing up it makes a funny sound (buh buh, two distinctive noises instead of one shot).  It does not trigger the cyclone, does not recock, and does not supply enough pressure to propel a paintball.  If I click the cyclone manually to feed a ball, the gun will move the bolt to hit the ball, but it just comes rolling out the end (goes maybe two meters?)

I've tried messing with both the screw on the funny shaped handle as well as the velocity screw on the marker itself but neither seem to have an effect on the performance.  Could anyone help?  If it helps I'll try to get a friend to loan me a camera so that I can get pictures up.  I bought this marker used and it worked wonderfully when I got it.  The only piece I changed is the barrel and the gas line connector.  When I got it the gas line had a quick release valve and that's where it snapped when I jumped out of the tree fort.  Instead of trying to replace the part I just connected the gas line directly to the funny shaped front handle (I think this is an expansion chamber?).

Thanks for reading,
Tiwaz

PS: Here's an image (http://media.photobucket.com/image/a5%20lpk%20expansion%20chamber/jay_malizia/IMG_1132.jpg) I pulled off the internet with a gun that has a similar setup to mine as far as the gas line.  The gas line runs from the bottom of the handle over to the bottom of another handle and this is the only place where mine looks different because the handle itself is of a different design.  I assume it functions similarly because everything is hooked up to it the same way...

Edited by Tiwaz - 17 May 2010 at 7:52am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 9:36am
An image of a marker similar to yours is really not of much use.

Here's a few guesses/ideas based on what you wrote above:
  • If you are using a standard Tippmann low pressure kit the "funny shaped front handle" is a regulator.  (It regulates the pressure down to a lower level.)
  • The vertical piece that goes into the tombstone is probably the low-pressure chamber.
  • Two things you should check:
    • The output of the regulator.  (In case it got knocked out of adjustment when you broke the gas line and is delivering at too low a pressure.)
    • If you separated the marker shells you should also check that the ball detent is properly installed.
  • Final thought:  I've always been under the impression that you shouldn't use CO2 with the low pressure kit.  (Because further expansion of the CO2 after it passes through the regulator can cause problems related to excess pressure.)

Edited by Mack - 17 May 2010 at 9:36am
Tiwaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiwaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 10:31pm
Thanks a bunch Mack, that was really useful... however my gun still doesn't work.  You were absolutely right about the funny shaped thing being a regulator.  I couldn't find out any information about the kind I have though.  I did open up the gun entirely and clean it out and put it back together (made sure to properly insert the detent). 

Upon gassing up the marker exhibited similar symptoms as before.  I cock the marker and fire, and it makes a sputtering sound and doesn't recock.  The ball rolls out the end and the cyclone does not trigger.  I have a feeling there's something amiss with the LPK but the gauge on the bottom reads 900psi...

I was able to borrow a camera so I've attached some links to images. 
(*Note the gauge reads 0psi but I took the picture without the CO2 tank)

Edit: I did some more research and found out about the regulator.  It turned out that the mechanism my regulator uses to regulate the air is a ball bearing that becomes depressed by a hex screw.  The ball bearing lets more air through as it is depressed further into the regulator.  Upon taking the screw all the way out I found out that the ball bearing had become jammed in the fully open position (hence the 900 psi).  I was able to jiggle it out with the tiny hex wrench and replace it.  I then gassed up and my lpk dial read 0psi.  After adjusting the screw on the regulator the lpk read 300 psi and the gun fired as per usual.  I  haven't actually fired any paint yet, but the burst of co2 out the opening where the barrel goes looks very promising!   Now I just have to figure out how to get the marker to recock after firing as well as get the cyclone up and running again...

Edited by Tiwaz - 17 May 2010 at 11:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic