Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Air Leak in Phenom HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MJ151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Air Leak in Phenom HELP!!!
    Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:12pm
I seem to have developed a pretty bad air leak in the phenom. I have broken it down, cleaned and inspected all the o-rings and then re-greased all appropriate parts. The leak seems to be coming from the gas line assembly. It is very loud when you remove the battery door. I can't determine the exact location. I'm not sure if I am getting a leak from the brazing on the gas line or not. It feels/sounds like it is coming from the top of the grip. Everything else seems to be in order. Normally I would send it back to Tippmann but I have a SPPL tournament this coming weekend. I have read the threads dealing with the known leak locations and fixes but to no avail. I am hoping any of you knowledgeable people can help.

Thanks,

MJ

Edited by MJ151 - 16 May 2010 at 6:14pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:40pm
Here is the solution thanks to OSF's own Muttley.

OK what you need to do is
1) Air up the phenom , remove the air source.Do not fire the Phenom.
2) Remove the grip . After you remove the grip you will see a small silver pin in the middle of a brass plug. If you push the pin into the brass plug . You will need to re air up the Phenom . The air pushes the pin out of the brass plug.
3) Remove the pin * you will need a set of needle nose pliers for this* Be-careful and do not loose the pin. Its very small.
4) Use a 1/8 allen wrench * I think*and tighten up the brass plug
5) Replace the pin* put it back in* with a little grease that came with the Phenom, and reinstall the grip frame. air it up and see if it still leaks.

Do this also if the Phenom stop firing in FA or uses allot of air..
YouTube - X7 Phenom Troubleshooting Trigger Pin Issues.mpg
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:43pm
MJ151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:14pm
I appreciate the information and will keep that in mind for next time.  Tippmann fixed the gun today and shipped it back.  They replaced the gas line, among other things.  I had guessed the gas line was bad at the brazing and it appears i was right.  they said it was good to go and I'll have it Thursday ready to play this weekend.   I can't say enough about the service I received, they called, let me know what was wrong and said it was shipping out today.  Great company!
o2x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o2x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:43am
ya the guys at tippmann are friggin awsome_popupControl();
OZZY-YD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OZZY-YD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 1:14pm

Hello All, I am stumped-I am also phenom owner-worked great at West Point, then all of a sudden the gun starts going south.  I do all the marker work for my team as far as the 98's A-5's and X7's with 99.9% success rate on fixing them, but this Phenom thing has me shaking my head.  This past weekend I walked up the chrony, squeeze the trigger and I hear Pssssssssssst - puffffff- and nothing-No balls flying out.  I squeeze the trigger again, samething noise.  Bare in mind I am in semi auto mode at the chrony.  I squeeze the trigger one more time, and guess what, it was like cartoon-I hear POP! and the Cyclone feeder turns into a blender, and the only way can shut it off is by the check valve on my remote line. Needless to say a couple balls broke in the process.   Luckly I have my regular X7 that works like a charm to play the game for the day.  So during break time during the game-I talk to another individual that is having the same problem-Both him and I field strip the phenoms and found nothing.  Found no burs, no slices in the o'rings, the firing pin and brass fitting for the trigger was nice and tight.  To the human eye everything looked cherry. We took the whole flex valve apart and inspected every valve-o-ring-and any other moving parts and we could not find a single flaw.  I cleaned everything up and regrease with Dow33, put the valve back together-and tried it again-FAIL! Samething-Squeeze the trigger-and cyclone goes ape! 

So-I get home after the game-and despite my issues with the Phenom-I won MVP at the event I was at, which made me forget about it the problems with it, but when I get home I usually get into the habit of cleaning all my equipment and break down the guns completely-clean them-and relube them and get them ready for the next game.  I decided to dig into Phenom again-I tear everything down-research on-line what is causing this issue, but I could not find anything why it would be causing the cyclone feeder to go nuts and not shoot normal. I took the flexvalve apart again and did an even closer inspection-couldn't find a thing. So that this point I am stuck-and stump. If you have any ideas, I will surely appreciate it.  I called Tippmann today and I think I am going to send the gun in to get this whole thing checked out.
Thank you
Ozzy
Tippmann A-5 AR-15
Tippmann X-7 MP-5
Tippmann X-7 Phenom UMP 45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic