Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AZ FTW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

In NY state, without a CCW permit, I can not carry my pistol outside my house in my yard unless I was going to a range or gunshop.
And a criminal can sue me if he hurts himself on my poperty during a break in of my home, unless of course I have a "no trespassing" sign displayed on my property.
Which is why yhou have the sign inside the house ready to plaster on the front door after an 'unfortunate incident' befalls said criminal before the cops show up.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

As I see it the issue is that a lot of people cant be trusted but there's not much that can be done. I just think guns are incredibly dangerous bits of kit even when used responsibly not to mention when they are readily available to anyone that feels like having one and doing whatever they want with it.
Guns, like all inanimate objects are not dangerous in and of themselves.  People are dangerous.

Originally posted by Hysteria Hysteria wrote:

A firearm is a great tool for slinging lead at thousands of feet per second.  This is what they are made for.  This is what they do.  In doing construction, repairs, gardening, or any other task that requires the use of a tool, I have never once thought to myself "Hmmm, I need a 10.17mm hole right here and I need it made in a split second.  I know, I'll grab my .40!"  There is not a single legitimate use for a firearm as a tool outside the destruction of something.

Also, how is a gun not dangerous in and of itself?  The application of a few pounds of pressure on this object can cause massive amounts of destruction and/or fatal injuries.  If you are able to apply that statement to any object, that object is dangerous.  That is like saying that a set bear trap is not dangerous.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 2:38pm
This thread is full of fail.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 2:45pm

Also, how is a gun not dangerous in and of itself?  The application of a few pounds of pressure on this object can cause massive amounts of destruction and/or fatal injuries.  If you are able to apply that statement to any object, that object is dangerous.  That is like saying that a set bear trap is not dangerous.

A gun isn't dangerous in and of itself.

Bullets sir, bullets.

Again, statistics: guns are less dangerous than cars, cancer, cigarettes.

Guns don't deserve some sort of pedestal simply because they're particularly effective at homicide (while none of the other things I mentioned are).
BU Engineering 2012
Magoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Bullets sir, bullets.

Guns don't deserve some sort of pedestal simply because they're particularly effective at homicide (while none of the other things I mentioned are).

I guess what bothers me most about  your arguments is that they are based on interpretation and semantics. Hardly defensible...
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Magoo Magoo wrote:

Bullets sir, bullets.

I guess what bothers me most about  your arguments is that they are based on interpretation and semantics. Hardly defensible...

Is constitutional law anything other than interpretation and semantics?  I think that would be a a difficult case to defend.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 3:13pm

They do not.  They are on the pedestal because they have but a single use and they are amazingly efficient at fulfilling that use.  As I have stated previously, that use is violently putting a ~ 5.7mm -11.7mm (based on common calibers) hole through something with the application of as little as 2lbs of pressure - something that, without fail, will always cause destruction (be it a target, tree or human head), injury or death (animal or human).

Once again, any object whose sole purpose is to destroy, injure or kill something is dangerous, not just a firearm.  To state otherwise simply based on a minute semantics issue is foolish.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 3:17pm

Also, how is a gun not dangerous in and of itself?
Ok, place a loaded gun on a table.  Swear at it.  Threaten it.  What does the gun do?  Nothing.

The application of a few pounds of pressure on this object can cause massive amounts of destruction and/or fatal injuries.
See, now you're adding variables to the mix.  You have to have somebody apply pressure to the trigger.  That somebody is a person.  As I said earlier - People are dangerous, not guns.

If you are able to apply that statement to any object, that object is dangerous.
Not necessarily true.

That is like saying that a set bear trap is not dangerous.
That depends on where the trap is, now doesn't it?  What if it was locked in a bank vault?  What if it was buried under tons of cement?

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 3:43pm
Nambu pistols are inherently dangerous. Just throwing that out there....
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Nambu pistols are inherently dangerous. Just throwing that out there....

yep, remove two screws and squeeze  the receiver.  many a Japanese officers died from accidental discharge of the nambu.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 4:20pm

Ok, place a loaded gun on a table.  Swear at it.  Threaten it.  What does the gun do?  Nothing.

The application of a few pounds of pressure on this object can cause massive amounts of destruction and/or fatal injuries.
See, now you're adding variables to the mix.  You have to have somebody apply pressure to the trigger.  That somebody is a person.  As I said earlier - People are dangerous, not guns.

If you are able to apply that statement to any object, that object is dangerous.
Not necessarily true.

That depends on where the trap is, now doesn't it?  What if it was locked in a bank vault?  What if it was buried under tons of cement?

So your criteria for an object to be dangerous is that it has to react in an unsafe manner after you swear at it?  Outstanding.

In your world of fluffy bunnies and nerf guns, what exactly is dangerous then, pray tell.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Magoo Magoo wrote:

And somehow you haven't managed to get around them yet...

...which is funny, as I mentioned before that I totally disagree with this line of reasoning.
BU Engineering 2012
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 5:55pm
Wow...somehow I get the feeling that at least a couple of you are having way too much fun in this thread...
Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Grimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 8:43pm

So the firearm on the table is not dangerous? 

I presume then, that you leave your loaded guns on the kitchen table within reach of children.  Seeing as how guns aren't dangerous and all...
It's Clobberin' Time!
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 8:58pm
If you're going to argue that people don't kill people, but guns kill people, I'm still going to assert that you're wrong:

Bullets kill people.

An unloaded gun is no more dangerous than a book sitting on a table.

Edited by Linus - 23 April 2010 at 8:59pm

Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Grimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

If you're going to argue that people don't kill people, but guns kill people, I'm still going to assert that you're wrong:

Bullets kill people.

An unloaded gun is no more dangerous than a book sitting on a table.

That's not where I was going, but even so you are wrong (except tautologically).

The only difference between an unloaded gun and a loaded gun is bullets.  You can add bullets to a book all day long without endangering anybody.
It's Clobberin' Time!
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:34pm
I disagree

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 10:10pm
Do mountains actively go out and attack people? No. But you wouldn't go up Everest with nout but a polka dot rag on a stick.

Responsibility is the issue and if not for selective quoting then that should be clear by now.These threads are always full of fail and semantics.
If you deny that guns in the hands of a person (any person) is dangerous then I think you are wrong.

In order to be responsible with firearms you must first acknowledge they are dangerous. 

Edit: posted drunk then ate then realised it was a bit silly.

Edited by scotchyscotch - 23 April 2010 at 11:07pm
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Ben Grimm Ben Grimm wrote:

So the firearm on the table is not dangerous? 

I presume then, that you leave your loaded guns on the kitchen table within reach of children.  Seeing as how guns aren't dangerous and all...

He probably doesn't let the kids drive the car either.  Or for that matter, use the lawnmower, weed wacker, or large knives.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 11:47pm

Not necessarily true.

So your criteria for an object to be dangerous is that it has to react in an unsafe manner after you swear at it?  Outstanding.

In your world of fluffy bunnies and nerf guns, what exactly is dangerous then, pray tell.
I've already said it.  PEOPLE.  People are the most dangerous things on this planet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic