FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

They never fail...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They never fail...
    Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:38am
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 9:16am
...I'm not seeing it. I know there's gotta be something there today, but I can't find it.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 9:21am
Topeka?  I don't get it.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:21am

A different kind of company name

4/01/2010 12:01:00 AM
Early last month the mayor of Topeka, Kansas stunned the world by announcing that his city was changing its name to Google. We’ve been wondering ever since how best to honor that moving gesture. Today we are pleased to announce that as of 1AM (Central Daylight Time) April 1st, Google has officially changed our name to Topeka.

We didn’t reach this decision lightly; after all, we had a fair amount of brand equity tied up in our old name. But the more we surfed around (the former) Topeka’s municipal website, the more kinship we felt with this fine city at the edge of the Great Plains.

In fact, Topeka Google Mayor Bill Bunten expressed it best: “Don’t be fooled. Even Google recognizes that all roads lead to Kansas, not just yellow brick ones.”

For 150 years, its fortuitous location at the confluence of the Kansas River and the Oregon Trail has made the city formerly known as Topeka a key jumping-off point to the new world of the West, just as for 150 months the company formerly known as Google has been a key jumping-off point to the new world of the web. When in 1858 a crucial bridge built across the Kansas River was destroyed by flooding mere months later, it was promptly rebuilt — and we too are accustomed to releasing 2.0 versions of software after stormy feedback on our ‘beta’ releases. And just as the town's nickname is "Top City," and the word “topeka” itself derives from a term used by the Kansa and Ioway tribes to refer to “a good place to dig for potatoes,” we’d like to think that our website is one of the web's top places to dig for information.

In the early 20th century, the former Topeka enjoyed a remarkable run of political prominence, gracing the nation with Margaret Hill McCarter, the first woman to address a national political convention (1920, Republican); Charles Curtis, the only Native American ever to serve as vice president (’29 to ‘33, under Herbert Hoover); Carrie Nation, leader of the old temperance movement (and wielder of American history’s most famous hatchet); and, most important, Alfred E. Neuman, arguably the most influential figure to an entire generation of Americans. We couldn’t be happier to add our own chapter to this storied history.

A change this dramatic won’t happen without consequences, perhaps even some disruptions. Here are a few of the thorny issues that we hope everyone in the broader Topeka community will bear in mind as we begin one of the most important transitions in our company’s history:
  • Correspondence to both our corporate headquarters and offices around the world should now be addressed to Topeka Inc., but otherwise can be addressed normally.
  • Google employees once known as “Googlers” should now be referred to as either “Topekers” or “Topekans,” depending on the result of a board meeting that’s ongoing at this hour. Whatever the outcome, the conclusion is clear: we aren’t in Google anymore.
  • Our new product names will take some getting used to. For instance, we’ll have to assure users of Topeka News and Topeka Maps that these services will continue to offer news and local information from across the globe. Topeka Talk, similarly, is an instant messaging product, not, say, a folksy midwestern morning show. And Project Virgle, our co-venture with Richard Branson and Virgin to launch the first permanent human colony on Mars, will henceforth be known as Project Vireka.
  • We don’t really know what to tell Oliver Google Kai’s parents, except that, if you ask us, Oliver Topeka Kai would be a charming name for their little boy.
  • As our lawyers remind us, branded product names can achieve such popularity as to risk losing their trademark status (see cellophane, zippers, trampolines, et al). So we hope all of you will do your best to remember our new name’s proper usage:
Finally, we want to be clear that this initiative is a one-shot deal that will have no bearing on which municipalities are chosen to participate in our experimental ultra-high-speed broadband project, to which Google, Kansas has been just one of many communities to apply.

April fools.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:27am
People in Canada don't see it, Bri.

Just checked with a friend.  She sees Google.
BU Engineering 2012
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:30am
Canada celebrates April 1st on a different day, just like with Thanksgiving.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

Canada celebrates April 1st on a different day, just like with Thanksgiving.

And there's no July 4th in Canada.

Godless people.

Edited by DaveEllis - 01 April 2010 at 1:03pm
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:16pm
EVERY day is April 1st in canada...

Eh!

lol.

did you see how gracious they were when Ann Coulture was suppost to speak at one of their little schools?

hahahhahahhahaha

nice country...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 01 April 2010 at 1:39pm
They tremble at my name...
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:27pm
Switzerland is showing "Google".
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:43pm
I wasn't online much today, but last night, Woot launched their April 1 gag, and it's really a lot of win.

Saw topeka this morning.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:47pm
I caught Topeka early this morning when I got home. Lulz were had.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 4:07pm
i'm a fan of thinkgeek's april fools products.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Eh!

lol.

did you see how gracious they were when Ann Coulture was suppost to speak at one of their little schools?

hahahhahahhahaha

nice country...

Can I just ask why?
Que pasa?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 5:35pm

Eh!

lol.

hahahhahahhahaha

nice country...

The idiots who tried to shout her down are not a 'they' applicable to all of Canada.

I consider her an entertainer and a waste of skin, but I was pretty loud myself about letting her have the right to express herself. Worth noting that her organizers chose to shut it down; it wasn't imposed on her. I daresay she'd have gotten much the same reaction in many parts of the U.S.

Like in the U.S., we have an active discourse on free expression vs. reasonable limitation, with many people falling on either side and many more somewhere in the middle.

The hell of it is, as inflammatory, bigoted and generally useless as she is, I think she's done Canada a service by pushing the freedom of expression issue out there a bit more prominently, and for that I thank her.  We discussed the issue the next Friday in my human rights and globalization class (taught by a Muslim prof, no less) and the nearly universally voiced opinion was that expression should be protected, and that it was wrong that people tried to silence her- but that ultimately at the end she manipulated the optics of the situation by making it appear as if she had been silenced against her will.

No great surprise there. Like I said, she's an entertainer, like most pundits.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 6:18pm
In all honesty i didn't really find the google joke that funny....
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 6:30pm
Youtubes is pretty awesome.  Go to any random video and change the picture quality...
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 7:27pm
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the page times thing. You know how at the bottom of this page, it says:
"This page was generated in 0.078 seconds."

Well on the top right of google, they do the same thing to show your search results time. Check their measurements today.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:38pm
skidoo, femtogalactic years, nanocenturies, parsecs, centibeats, jiffies,  gigawatts,  microweeks, centons, shakes of a lamb's tail, epochs, Planck times, hertz, at warp 9.54, microfortnights, times the velocity of an unladen swallow....

these are priceless
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Eh!

lol.

hahahhahahhahaha

nice country...

The idiots who tried to shout her down are not a 'they' applicable to all of Canada.

Wait, I thought in Canada you always paint with a broad brush... I was just following the form that has been modeled on this site by the Canadians...

I wasn't even talking about the mob... I was referring to the PROVOST OF THE SCHOOL. He is a hate monger. Attacking her PRIOR to the speech (and writing it down... wow, dumb move there genius). That is the definition of a hate crime,  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime ) as he is so biased against her politics that before she even talks he is convinced that she will cross some line in his mind. Unless he sent that same letter to the Black panther that spoke the month before, or ANY other person before... He should lose his job. Period. What he did was create controversy where there was none. And whipped up the little weak minded sheep students into a frenzy of conservative hate (hmm more hate crimes). Since we all know that the liberals are the ones that typically cross the line into violence and hate speech, as shown by the treatment of the tea party here in the US by the liberal mainstream media.

I consider her an entertainer and a waste of skin, but I was pretty loud myself about letting her have the right to express herself. Worth noting that her organizers chose to shut it down; it wasn't imposed on her. I daresay she'd have gotten much the same reaction in many parts of the U.S.

Yeah, she is a best selling author, and lawyer, who is attacked by the left daily and yet nothing ever sticks... I can see why you view her in that way. And it was her bodyguards that shut it down, since there were so many calls for violence against her... Nice tolerance, lead by the provost of the "school", if you disagree, silence the opposition, and claim racism... Oh, yeah, they did with the whole "camel" comment that was printed in the papers as if she was being racist towards muslims. See, taking things out of context is a problem in our liberal media driven society, since we make up our minds not on the whole story, but little snippets here and there. This provost creating a controversy, and then "parliament" banning her posters, while printing ones to attack her... While the members, were BANNED from attending her speech... (wow, talk about "freedom", and allowing the students to get that riled up without arresting anyone and charging them with hate crimes is the problem with political correctness. It isn't right. The left was shown to be hypocrites in this instance. And unless this provost (and parliament?) is brought up on charges for hate crimes against a conservative woman, then the whole system is hyporcrisy.

And your guess that it would have happened in the US is silly. But, don't let the facts stand in the way of your opinion...

""The University of Ottawa is really easy to get into, isn't it?" Ms. Coulter, who has given more than 100 college speeches, quipped to the Washington Times. "I never get any trouble at the Ivy League schools.

"It's always the bush league schools.... This has never, ever, ever happened before - even at the stupidest American university.""

Like in the U.S., we have an active discourse on free expression vs. reasonable limitation, with many people falling on either side and many more somewhere in the middle.

The hell of it is, as inflammatory, bigoted and generally useless as she is, I think she's done Canada a service by pushing the freedom of expression issue out there a bit more prominently, and for that I thank her.  We discussed the issue the next Friday in my human rights and globalization class (taught by a Muslim prof, no less) and the nearly universally voiced opinion was that expression should be protected, and that it was wrong that people tried to silence her- but that ultimately at the end she manipulated the optics of the situation by making it appear as if she had been silenced against her will.

Again, more examples of your lack of tolerance and obvious hatred toward other viewpoints, are you a student at this school?

It is nice to see that you put the blame on her... Is that because you disagree with her conservative views, or because she is a woman? I'm sure if she had gone ahead with the event and been attacked or killed, you would have said she "asked for it"...
No great surprise there. Like I said, she's an entertainer, like most pundits.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 02 April 2010 at 7:56am
They tremble at my name...
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 1:12pm
Maybe you could just give up for lent, please?
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic