Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann X7 Phenom?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Khoshno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoshno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann X7 Phenom?
    Posted: 23 March 2010 at 6:51pm
Hi i'm new to paintballing and I was looking for a gun to buy because I'm really enjoying the sport. I looked at the Tippmann X7 Phenom. It looked nice, but was it worth it? So then searched reviews on youtube. I have began to notice that most of the people using this marker seem to be very good at the sport. So I was wondering. Is the Tippmann X7 Phenom a good choice for someone who just started playing paintball?

Please reply ASAP
Thank you
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 11:37am

In a word, yes. 

Longer explanation... Depends.  If you have played several times, have good access to a playing field and know that you will stick with it, I would say yes, it's worth spending the money and buying the Phenom. However, if you have only played once or twice, rarely stick with anything for long and are stretching your budget, I would say probably not. You can get good entry level markers for $100-150. Keep in mind that you will still have to buy a tank, mask, pod belt, and pods just to begin. Granted CO2 tanks can be had for $20-25.00, but a good mask thermal mask will run you $50++. Don't cheap out on a cheap mask. You truly get what you pay for. So if you are dropping $400 on a Phenom, $70 on a mask, $25 on a tank, another $50-100 on other gear, you are already looking at an investment of $600.00 before you even walk on the field. This doesn't cover such things as tools, spares, bags, swabs, additional tanks, inevitable back up marker, hoppers, etc. etc.

However, the Phenom is a nice marker, Essentially top of the line Tippmann. You probably could make it your first and posslbly last marker. If you stick with it, you will be glad you bought it, if you quit in two months, you will be pissed to see the poor resale that you get out of it.  The Phenom is pretty new, so I haven't really seen what the resale is like,, but typically Tippmann markers can fetch about a $50% return. Gear, often times even less.

Probably more confusion than help, but good luck with it.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Khoshno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoshno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 1:14pm
Thanks. I agree with what you said about the pricing and how I might not stick with anything for long. I have gone about six times, and im going tomorrow, So lets make that seven times. Even if i buy the gun, i still have to but a mask and all the things you mentioned in the post. Thank you for answering my question, I will definitely look into markers for $100-150. Also I think I will get a little more into the sport before I end up using my money for the marker, and all the equipment that i need, and end up not liking the sport later on.

thanks
and one more question. Do you have any suggestions on what marker to buy? 
Jollyroger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollyroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 1:20pm
i think the tippmann 98 is a great, cheaper, starter marker. its upgradeable, reliable, and still looks good.
98 Custom Platinum
Flatline
Bipod
Adjustible Stock
Rufus Dawg Wicked Front Bolt/Power Tube
Expansion Chamber
M4 Style Handle/Sight
Taco Speed Hopper
20 OZ CO2 Tank W/Neoprene Cover
All Camoed
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 1:30pm
98custom, Alpha Black, Project Salvo are all great entry level markers. The Carver One has just came out and it's under $100.00. Very new, so I haven't seen any real reviews on it, but it's made by Tippmann, so it should be bulletproof. IMO, start with a less expensive marker, if you stick with it for awhile, upgrade to a better one. You can always sell the entry level one or keep it as a back up or loaner. Inevitably, if you stay around and continue playing you will get Gunhoritus and end up with several markers to choose from.

Good luck and have fun.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Khoshno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoshno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 9:50pm
Thanks for answering my questions guys, it really helped Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic