FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Truck project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck project
    Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:34am
So I'm back to building my 71 Chevy C10, for those of you interested. I think I've posted this pic before, but this was the truck back from the painters (ignore the boobies)

I'll post a few new pics tomorrow, it's up on blocks and the POS wheels are about to come off for the disc brake conversion.

So far I've got-

350 block bore .030 over to a 355
Vortec 906 heads custom machined and drilled for higher lift cams
.479-.480 (not sure which yet, about to order tomorrow) cam
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake w/ 650 Holley double pumper (tee hee)
Keith Black pistons (deciding on flat tops or D-cut right now, have to watch compression with those heads)
Headers w/ flowmasters
Muncie 4 spd close ration
.373 detroit locker rear end
Five lug conversion soon to be disc brakes

Still need lots to go, just thought I'd document my progress for the forum gear heads here. I'll post in this thread as it comes along.
mamasboi View Drop Down
Strike 1, FIlter dodge, 7/23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:32am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

(ignore the boobies)
It's the first thing that i saw, the truck looks nice too.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by mamasboi mamasboi wrote:

(ignore the boobies)
It's the first thing that i saw, the truck looks nice too.

truth. got forged pistons strato?
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:56am
Nudes!

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:11am
Haha, no desire to look those nudes up, she's history.

Slackerr, I'm not sure, probably just regular old Keiths, I won't be running nos are terribly high compression, and my cam is relatively mild.

I'll be doing pretty well with the gear ratio of the tranny and the .373's, so I'm building it relatively mild.

I should still be able to piss off some SRT-10s and Lightnings at any rate ;)
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:00am
Stroke it. 383>350
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:08am
Eh, I was building a 383 to begin with but the extra hp didn't justify the machine work and cost of the kit. My 355 will do fine for what I need out of this project :P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:51am
put some full slicks on and you could be able to pull a small wheelie
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:06pm
Aight, pics up in just a sec, but ran into a nasty problem building a 355. My crank has been turned over 10 in one spot, 30 in another.

So in other words, that crank is **edited** as far as turning it more goes.

So instead of spending money for another crank to go in a 355, I'm just going to move up to the full 383 kit.
Lord-Catboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord-Catboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:54pm
DONT LOOK AT THE BOOBS!
United States Blackfox Corperation: Heaven doesnt want us. Hells afraid we'll take over.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 2:49am
Alright new update with pics to come in the morning (I lied last time but got too busy to get around to uploading them).

Decided to stay with the 355, got all the parts, was honing the cylinder walls and realized that my number one cylinder wall was cracked, so off to the machine shop (again) for sleeving and boring.

For those that are vehicularly inclined, Ive changed the build a tad-

Vortec heads (custom to handle the lift of the cam)
Edelbrock Air Gap
Holley 3310 redesigned with the proform kit (just Google it :P)
.490 (ish) lift cam with 110 lobe seperation
Rebuilt Muncie T-20 (4 Speed)
Headers
Dual Magnaflows
Flat Top Pistons
Roller Rockers

So the builds changed slightly from my first build :P

Anyway, hoping the engine gets back tomorrow and I'll have pics of the completed long block (no valve covers and the intake / carb kit haven't arrived)

Hoping to have it in the truck in two-three weeks. On a sidenote, finishing this truck is breaking the bank...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 6:49am
no car project will leave the bank unharmed! no open headers?
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 10:28am
Open headers = illegal :(

Edited by stratoaxe - 19 February 2010 at 10:30am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 2:17pm
Roller lifters?

Flat= Satan.

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 2:51pm
Couldn't afford a full roller setup at this time, for now just hydraulic camamd lifters. Of course, the next engine / car I build will be primarily for racing, this is just mid-high performance street truck for fun and function.

If everything goes right, I should be around 375-400 horses. 350 at lowest. With my suspension and rear end, that'll be plenty to have some fun and mess with the local mustangs red light to red light.

My next project (a long time off, probably after college) will be either a 60s or 70s corvette small block build, or a 67-69 fastback mustang 427 Ford BB build. But those are 10-15k builds, I'll have built this truck for around 5-7 grand. Which is dirt cheap considering that I designed, built, and drove the truck with just my dad and I :)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 3:05pm
My good friend has a 70 stingray corvette with a 350 crate motor. They just painted it torch red and I hate him passionately for it.

Forum Vice President
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 3:08pm
illegal but epic!
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 3:22pm
Yeah I love the 69 Vettes. Other future dream projects would be a 78 Trans Am Bandit car (sekz) or a 1995 Impala SS LS6 project.

I'm very tempted to set the truck aside when I'm done and save up for a tuner build. I'd love to do a 3000 GT with turbo / intercooler. Maybe give my buddys Evo VIII a nice run >:)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 3:29pm
stay away from impalas. hate them. only tuner id want to build ATM would be a WRX STI
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2010 at 1:27pm
Awesome trucks, the 67-72's were a great truck.  Couple of things I don't like about them; the sloshy gas tank behind the seat, the lousy giant steering wheel and lousy heater.  My favorite is the '68, it had the '67 slanted hood still and the bigger back window.  Nice project. keep posting pics.

Couldn't afford a full roller setup at this time, for now just hydraulic camamd lifters. Of course, the next engine / car I build will be primarily for racing, this is just mid-high performance street truck for fun and function.

If everything goes right, I should be around 375-400 horses. 350 at lowest. With my suspension and rear end, that'll be plenty to have some fun and mess with the local mustangs red light to red light.

My next project (a long time off, probably after college) will be either a 60s or 70s corvette small block build, or a 67-69 fastback mustang 427 Ford BB build. But those are 10-15k builds, I'll have built this truck for around 5-7 grand. Which is dirt cheap considering that I designed, built, and drove the truck with just my dad and I :)

Not sure that you will get that kind of horsepower from what you've listed.  I have 202 heads, I have flatops and bored out .30k, and I have a vortec bottom end, all rollered; I am just under 320 on a dyno with propane and 350 with gas.  Will depend largely on the cam you go with too, and you will want a nice turbo 400 for that, they bolt up perfectly.  Also the HEI ignition is real easy to throw in and works much better than the one that came on that year.

This is my engine, that's the propane mixer setup I use, the blue box on the left is my dual-curve ignition which advances/retards timing automatically when I switch from gas to propane

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 20 February 2010 at 1:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic