FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone please tell me:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone please tell me:
    Posted: 07 February 2010 at 1:49pm
when the NHL will explain to their refs that Sidney Crosby is a big boy who doesn't need them to call penalties in his favor every time he takes a dive? Seriously, it's like the NHL refs are helicopter parents at a pee-wee hockey game with him.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 2:45pm
You know Tallen, you are way to smart to fall for that Caps fan crap. Y'know, where everything is Crosby's fault, and Bettmann rigs for Pittsburgh, blah blah blah. If Leonis and Boudreau could stop whining, and talking up things like their current winning streak, then maybe they could see the big picture, and actually make a solid team that can be built to win in the playoffs.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 2:56pm
I don't think that Bettmann rigs things for Pittsburgh, I just think that there tends to be some bias towards Crosby when he gets hit. I don't know if he just sells it that well or what, but there were some severely questionable calls this game. The slashing call against Washington in the 3rd was complete bs. One of the Pens were playing with a broken stick. The ref next to the action knew it, but the ref out at center ice called slashing even though all he saw was a stick break when the player used it to pass the puck.

Boudreau and Leonsis do nothing BUT talk positively about the game. But the fact of the matter is that the refs will call penalties in favor of Crosby at the drop of a hat while they'll let intentional injurious actions against someone like Ovechkin go without a second glance.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 3:00pm
wah wah wahSmile
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 3:00pm
Yeah, the broken stick was BS...unless the stick was slashed behind the net and NBC only showed when the stick broke at the bottom of the faceoff circle. It's possible, only because NBC's hockey coverage sucks balls.

Overall, I think the ref'ing sucked today. There were weak calls, and non-calls, for both teams.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

You know Tallen, you are way to smart to fall for that Caps fan crap. Y'know, where everything is Crosby's fault, and Bettmann rigs for Pittsburgh, blah blah blah. If Leonis and Boudreau could stop whining, and talking up things like their current winning streak, then maybe they could see the big picture, and actually make a solid team that can be built to win in the playoffs.

To pretend like there ISN'T a media based bias that protects the penguins is starting to look a little silly.  Why move the stanley cup ahead last year when only the Penguins had short series' leading up to the SCFs?  Why didn't Malkin get suspended for his instigator penalty in the finals PER THE RULE BOOK? 

For the same reason that Crosby is on all the NHL commercials, both product based and promotional ones.  Bettman thinks he can hinge the survival and re-growth of the league on one pretty boy's shoulders.  Crappy TV deal? Who cares, people will pay to see Sidney.  Disregard for the diving rule? Who cares, Sidney sells tickets.  It's a joke.

Overall though, throughout this entire season I've seen quality of reffing take a Sidney-esque dive.  The NHL has always had better reffing than the other leagues, and it just hasn't seemed up to par all year.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 7:55pm
Malkin didn't get suspended in the playoffs last season for the same reason superstars don't get suspended in the NHL. The NHL simply doesn't suspend their stars, unless they nearly kill somebody. There is actually a funny flowchart that somebody did that explains the NHL's suspension process.

I love NHL hockey, but to say that it's always had great reffing is laughable. Depending on who the referee team is, they may let people get away with almost anything with the "let 'em play" mantra, or else they will call everything. And of course, anytime that they call a weak penalty, there is almost always an even-up penalty for the other team shortly there after to make up for it.

I have heard all sorts of conspiracy theories before. The league rigged the Crosby lottery back in '05 to send Crosby to Pittsburgh (instead of a bigger market like NY, or a bigger hockey town like Montreal). And of course, then the league conspired to give Crosby a Stanley Cup ring. I guess the 07-08 was an accident? The Mighty Red Wings couldn't sandbag enough to follow the script? Or was it part of the setup for the following season's rematch? If you honestly contend that the NHL is rigged and the fix is in, why do you bother watching?? At that point, you may as well turn on WWF wrestling!

There was a media bias for Pittsburgh in today's game?? At which point did Pierre Mcquire, Milbury or Doc stop fawning over Ovechkin today to talk up Crosby and the Pens? Particularly when Edso is in the broadcast booth, he will take potshots at Pittsburgh every chance he gets...he is still bitter for being fired as head coach a few years back. Don't get me wrong. Ovie is also one of the best players in the league, and he is going to get talked about a lot when the Caps are playing.

Edited by Shub - 07 February 2010 at 7:59pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:00pm

And of course, then the league conspired to give Crosby a Stanley Cup ring. I guess the 07-08 was an accident? The Mighty Red Wings couldn't sandbag enough to follow the script? Or was it part of the setup for the following season's rematch? If you honestly contend that the NHL is rigged and the fix is in, why do you bother watching?? At that point, you may as well turn on WWF wrestling!

There's a difference in playing from a script(WWE) and trying to stack the deck for one side.(08-09 playoffs)

He's a good player, he's fast and he's good at crashing the net.  But he's not the end all, be all superstar they keep trying to project him as, just because he's a pretty boy who speaks good english.  Where's the push to promote guys like Ovechkin(not NEARLY as common as Sidney), Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Sedin, or even Malkin? You don't talk about the Hart trophy without Ovechkin, Malkin and Datsyuk being in the conversation, but how often are they in commercials or getting convenient calls?
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:10pm
Yes, Crosby is marketable. He is well spoken, and perhaps that makes him a good ambassador. Lets face it, Malkin's English still isn't up to that of a person who's spoken it his entire language. Ovechkin is an amazing player, but he comes across as a clown. I mean no disrespect by that, but that's his persona. It was the stupid hat and sunglasses he wore last season in the skills competition, the lime green laces, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have it both ways. You can't act like a joke, then complain that no one takes you seriously.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:20pm

Yes, Crosby is marketable. He is well spoken, and perhaps that makes him a good ambassador. Lets face it, Malkin's English still isn't up to that of a person who's spoken it his entire language. Ovechkin is an amazing player, but he comes across as a clown. I mean no disrespect by that, but that's his persona. It was the stupid hat and sunglasses he wore last season in the skills competition, the lime green laces, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have it both ways. You can't act like a joke, then complain that no one takes you seriously.

I definitely understand what you mean.  But, at the same time, it still bothers me that they choose not to market Ovechkin for exactly who he is.  Bettman seems to have this disillusion about what's going to save hockey, which sort of brings me back to what I was saying earlier.

Why not take note from basketball and the NFL?  You market your media friendly goofballs.  Ovechkin really is there just having as much fun as he can because he loves what he does, and I think that shows up more than ever when Sid and Alex square off.

It's one of those issues that will NEVER be agreed upon by the opposite sides, because it's so controversial, and to inlaid into the divisions of fanship.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:41pm
I think the NHL promotion machine does market Ovechkin. He certainly gets the lion's share of coverage any time that he's on the ice (as well he should be). I think most non-hockey fans can name him, at least as many as could name Crosby. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that he has made some questionable hits in his career.

In the end though, people only bash Crosby. He is called a diver or called a whiner. Yeah, maybe he whined in his rookie season. But he never outgrew it. As captain, it is his job to speak out to the on-ice officials. When the players' union needed a spokesman near the beginning of the season, they used Crosby as their spokesman.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:00pm
Crosby and Malkin: Two girls, one cup.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:05pm
The problem with using Crosby as a marketing tool and calling him the "Face of the NHL" is that he's not really that good of a marketing tool and he's not really anything close to being representative of the NHL as a whole. He's not even a good face to put on hockey super-stardom. Outside of Pittsburgh, you don't see people lining up to see Crosby play. But when Ovi travels to other clubs, they instantly sell more tickets. Why? Because he plays hard, he plays fast, and he really really really enjoys it. It shows on his face, it's a game, he knows it's a game, and for that fact, the people love him. Why does hockey need to be super serious and have some sort of a pretty-boy persona attached to it with the likes of Crosby? Hockey is a game for everyone. All you need is something to use as a stick, and something to use as a puck. You don't even need ice, you just need some people wanting to play. Ovi's hat and glasses, his laces, his crashing to the glass every time he scores big, that is him having fun and expressing it to the crowd in a way that is infectious beyond all belief. Living in this town and seeing it go from a situation where there were "guaranteed win" nights at the MCI center in an attempt to get people through the door to an honest to God hockey town where even the ex-Redskins radio personalities on sports radio have to talk about the Caps is awesome. And it wasn't just Ovi that did it, but he was one hell of a catalyst. He does it all. Crosby crashes the net and skates really well. But Ovi hits, shoots, crashes, takes point, assists, and generally does it all. He is a hockey fan's hockey player, and moreover, he's a hockey player's hockey player.

Bettmann was hedging his bets on Crosby being the next Gretzky, unfortunately he's losing that bet. When all is said and done, people will remember Ovechkin far more than Crosby.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:25pm
Im not so sure of that, Tallen. I personally like Ovi more than Sid, for many reasons. Regardless, at least in my area, I dont see more people going to Rangers/Devils/Isles/Flyers because the Caps are in town. Perhaps in Canada its a different story, but then again people also want to see Brodeur when the Devils are in Canada as well...
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 11:20pm
I've always wanted to see Ovechkin play, not just him, but Green, Backstrom, Semin, Laich.  I love those guys.  Malkin, him too.  Theres lots of guys I'd love to see play.  I remember all the talk being about the "Crosby" sweepstakes...then first game of the season highlights, who are they talking about? This Ovechkin kid scoring 2 goals in his first game. Until that point, all I heard about was Crosby.

So, I probably hate Crosby because he was shoved down our throats before he even played in the NHL.  I probably hate him because he whined a lot in his first season ( still does I think) and because of the last 2 finals with me being a Detroit fan.

Its a combination of a lot of things, but overall, I'm tired of Crosby.  But he isn't going away anytime soon.  Until then, I'll still love seeing Ovechkin being a joke and a clown as he scores 50+ goals ever year, flattens out opponents and cranks 1 timers from the point like nobodies business.

Also, I knew after the game today that I could come to the forum to find Tallen stirring the pot...

Edited by Zata - 07 February 2010 at 11:22pm
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 11:36pm
Not true, Tallen. Pittsburgh sells out everywhere they play. People DO come out in droves to see Pittburgh. Even teams in weak markets get spikes in their ticket sales when the Pens come to town.

Edited by Shub - 07 February 2010 at 11:36pm
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:56am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

The problem with using Crosby as a marketing tool and calling him the "Face of the NHL" is that he's not really that good of a marketing tool and he's not really anything close to being representative of the NHL as a whole. He's not even a good face to put on hockey super-stardom. Outside of Pittsburgh, you don't see people lining up to see Crosby play. But when Ovi travels to other clubs, they instantly sell more tickets. Why? Because he plays hard, he plays fast, and he really really really enjoys it. It shows on his face, it's a game, he knows it's a game, and for that fact, the people love him. Why does hockey need to be super serious and have some sort of a pretty-boy persona attached to it with the likes of Crosby? Hockey is a game for everyone. All you need is something to use as a stick, and something to use as a puck. You don't even need ice, you just need some people wanting to play. Ovi's hat and glasses, his laces, his crashing to the glass every time he scores big, that is him having fun and expressing it to the crowd in a way that is infectious beyond all belief. Living in this town and seeing it go from a situation where there were "guaranteed win" nights at the MCI center in an attempt to get people through the door to an honest to God hockey town where even the ex-Redskins radio personalities on sports radio have to talk about the Caps is awesome. And it wasn't just Ovi that did it, but he was one hell of a catalyst. He does it all. Crosby crashes the net and skates really well. But Ovi hits, shoots, crashes, takes point, assists, and generally does it all. He is a hockey fan's hockey player, and moreover, he's a hockey player's hockey player.

Bettmann was hedging his bets on Crosby being the next Gretzky, unfortunately he's losing that bet. When all is said and done, people will remember Ovechkin far more than Crosby.

sorry, thats all i read out of that. Anybody that watches hockey, outside of Pittsburgh will probably agree with you Tallen. You can look up Crosby hatred sites all.

Crosby isn't even a great team player. I agree that he might be the next Gretzky, cause all Wayne did was get open and get his team to constantly feed him the puck.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:08am
Yep, Crosby's two-way play and the fact that nearly 70% of his point totals come from assists, not goals, is proof of his cherry picking. You forgot to call him Rosby.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic