FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fun day- Boots and Saddles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun day- Boots and Saddles
    Posted: 06 February 2010 at 5:57pm
Another day of riding. God these farm horses are huge, I am more used to eastern quarter horses. My mount 'Duke', as per owner has a bit of an attitude problem, but after a few cups to the back of the head we have an understanding. Loaner saddle was a little to narrow for the big guy, 'Duke' was picked for me based on my weight, and now a reason to lose more weight. A local makes McClellan Cavalry saddles full package to size for @$700, so not a bad deal. With my artificial knees can not mount from ground, need a mount box, so in the 'battles' I volunteered as mount holder while the rest dismount and do thier thing.

I still can't get over that I am considered an expierianced rider by the group, and one trooper today was day one in a saddle. I learned the erect military ride style years ago, and Duke was not used to me being so far foward in saddle with my weight a straight line from gound to me, putting most of my weight on forelegs instead of back. I tested out with all commands and movements, the only thing was 'Duke' refused to back up. Took awhile to get the wheels, and pivots, with voice recognition and differant commands than 'Duke' was used to, but at a paced trot formations were easy.

Had to walk the caisson horse in a caisson harness for the first time, they were not to co-operative.

And then the finale, I tired 'Duke' out and with no warning he went down, and I still remmembered my dismount after all these years, grab one of the head harness straps roll oposite of direction he is going down and kick self away. Told it was a 'pretty' dismount, and I got s lot of compliments on how well I did.

Uniforms and such should be in this week, will get pictures up asap.

Edited by oldsoldier - 06 February 2010 at 7:13pm
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:19am
Jeez OS, how many notches do you need in your mancard? I wouldn't dare go near a horse again and I can still recover from their stupidity ;)
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 2:58pm
Had to give up airsoft/paintball getting too old to run around a battlefield, so now I have a ride. With my love of history this was perfect for me, with a little added 'fun' of riding. I am either going to be the caisson outrider for the 6 lbr cannon they have, guidon bearer due to my erect riding style or the Sergeant due to my booming command voice, and I can ride.....go figure.

Owner gave me the whole brief on 'Duke', and I have had hard cases before. This is one of the few things that have really hit my button since all these new issues took a lot of my fun away.

I am also part of the Rock Creek Renegades a local 'Mountian Man' group, going to a black powder competition next weekend.

Momma is all happy that I am getting out there, being stuck in my recliner is getting old.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic