FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another vehiculat incident.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another vehiculat incident.....
    Posted: 05 February 2010 at 7:35am
Yep. My luck with cars is just wonderful.

Some of you might recall a few months ago when my blazer suffered a dead fuel pump. After towing expenditures, with money being tight at the moment, we decided to shelve the project of having it fixed until we had some extra cash. In the meantime, I've been using my wife's trusty old '96 Toyota Corolla for work and daily running around.

Its an old car, but its a good one.

...or....it was.

Yesterday, I pulled into the office, which has a wide enough driveway that people who are picking up or dropping off equipment usually just pull over to the right and run inside. This is exactly what I was going to do.

I pulled into the driveway, parked, opened my door, remembered something I needed in the back seat, and when I turned to get it, I heard the loudest crunching sound ever. I turned back to see the drivers door which I had just opened nearly get torn off the hinge by someone moving far faster than safe 'driveway' speeds.

Turns out he's the lawyer that shares the office complex with our company, and he customized his lexus with the door to my toyota. Fun.

He maintains that I opened the door right in front of him, which I was willing to admit at first, but the more I thought about it, I had that door OPEN, then turned back to get what I needed. I think he made the turn into the driveway far too fast and either didn't see the door or was distracted. At any rate, there's no way to prove that I just didn't open the door without looking first. I swear that thing WAS open, because I had to TURN to see the door go bye-bye, which wouldn't have been necessary if I was in the process of opening it and getting out....I'd have been looking directly AT it. Anyway, can't prove it, and while my insurance will cover damages to his car, it won't cover mine, since its 14 years old and we pulled the collision insurance from it about a year ago to save some money.

The killer is, all the women in the office where I work tell me how fast he always moves through there, and while we exchanged information, he told me that was the SECOND time this exact same thing has happened to him.

So now I need to come up with a way to pay the repair cost out of pocket, which will definitely be more expensive than the friggin fuel pump which I couldn't afford in the first place.

/whiny rant.

Oh, and in b4 HV and 'lucky charm' .....it wasn't on me, its still in the blazer which is laid up. Tongue

Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 7:41am

That blows man.  All too often I have been driving down a side street when someone will literally fling the drivers side door open all the way and I have to slam on the brakes to avoid it.

No other witnesses that could defend your position in court?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 7:48am
Even if it was considered his fault, you would still be screwed. No insurance company is going to pay to fix a 1996 Corolla. They would call it scrap and probably give you far less than what it would take to replace it. Why not just put the fuel pump repair on a credit card? That or tear the other door off of the Corolla to make it look like you meant to have it that way.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 7:48am
No surveillance cameras?  Also

Tec9.jpg
nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:07am
skin hat him...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:38am
No, no security cameras to catch anything. My company is loaning me one of their courier cars to make my runs today, which is nice.
But yeah, we're up a creek in terms of getting it fixed. Its too old to fix, and too old to be worth anything either.
I still need to call his company today. Yesterday, I called mine, wired the door shut as best I could, and went right back to work to keep me from skinhatting someone.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:44am
In that case
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:49am
Keying is not necessary. The front end of his car is already pretty screwed up. It wasn't intentional so I can't get too pissed, but the expense behind these accidents is what bothers me.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:55am
Man, that blows chunks.

Do you have any friends that do auto repair?... I know a guy here in ohio that fixed another friends car in the same situation for less than $100... Junk yard door ($75), and crowbar to bend it back in place, It really doesn't look that bad considering he found one the same color. The only way you can tell is from the damage to the fender, and the paint looks a little different. But, its better than trashing the car.
They tremble at my name...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 8:59am
Junkyard door is my only serious option I think. IF I can get one for a reasonable price.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 10:20am
Uhm, your insurance shouldn't be paying jack squat. He hit a parked car. Your insurance should go to bat for you to help you recoup the necessary costs to repair your car.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 10:21am
^^^I'm kind of with tallen on this one.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 10:24am
That is true, but... He is a lawyer.

I would still call the cops and file a police report and let the insurance sort it out... Maybe the police would site him, then it would be a open and shut case.
They tremble at my name...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 10:42am

Even if he is cited, the other insurance company is not obligated to fix the car. If the repair is substantial, which replacing a door usually is, they will simply total the car and give you what they deem it worth. I guess the money would help you fix the Blazer though. I am not sure how it works if you don't have comprehensive though as to whether your Insurance company will pay up or not? Even if they go after the other guy, you won't probably see the money for months.

Sounds like time to call the rents for a loan.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 10:54am
in after 'in b4 lucky charm'.

LOL need another lucky charm there, Reb?
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 3:05pm

Junkyard door. Then install the fuel pump yourself when it thaws...

Impulse. View Drop Down
Banned for linkage to Doll Pron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 3:43pm
Junkyard.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Uhm, your insurance shouldn't be paying jack squat. He hit a parked car. Your insurance should go to bat for you to help you recoup the necessary costs to repair your car.

Yeah, why are you paying? :S
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 4:56pm
The only logical thing to do now is buy the gull wing doors you have always wanted and maybe some spinners.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 5:58pm
. . . and don't forget the ground-effect lighting.  (You can do it on a budget with cigarette lighter plug-in/transformer, old Christmas holiday lights and duct tape.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic