FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mac Vs. PC - Okay, not really...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 5:03pm
That would be a better analogy if there weren't nice looking PCs, and if the hardware in Macs wasn't massively overpriced.
BU Engineering 2012
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2010 at 5:09pm
I know it's far from perfect, I just mean the basic concept behind paying more for aesthetics. And yes there are lots of well designed PC's, and lots of more expensive well designed PC's.

Oh in related news, I saw a new PC with specs containing optional USB 3.0. FINALLY it begins! :D
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I never thought a company could be my soulmate!

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 07 February 2010 at 3:46pm
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

I never thought a company could be my soulmate!

When I say that, shoot me in the knees, I'm too far gone.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 3:52pm

LOL

Question though Choopie: What do you think of the ipad?

mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:36am

I know it's far from perfect, I just mean the basic concept behind paying more for aesthetics. And yes there are lots of well designed PC's, and lots of more expensive well designed PC's.

Oh in related news, I saw a new PC with specs containing optional USB 3.0. FINALLY it begins! :D

Heh, I think the analogy is definitely far from perfect but I know what you were trying to say so I won't break your balls over it Wink

In response to the second part of your post, I too am glad to see USB 3.0 (transfer rates of 5 Gb/s!). I've been keeping an eye on motherboards, CPU's, and memory lately because I'm really itching to upgrade even though my current system is more than adequate despite its age. I was looking at P55 boards with USB 3.0, eSATA, and SATA III ports available for $145 (like this one) which isn't bad.

I see Intel got their CPU/GPU chips out before AMD too which I expected. I'm considering something like that to replace the aging P4 in my HTPC but I think I'll wait until they come out with their second batch so they can work out any kinks with the design of the chip and the H55/57 chipsets. Lots of cool stuff coming out now that I wish I could afford to buy. Still waiting to see wireless USB and SSD's priced at the same cost per GB as traditional mechanical drives though. Damn you student loans and aging vehicles!

EDIT:

LOL

I know that wasn't aimed at me but this article is related so I thought you might find it interesting. (Decided to embed it in this post rather than linking due to some forum-inappropriate stuff in the comments below the article)

Originally posted by wired.com wired.com wrote:

Apple iPad’s Tiny SIM Is Just There to Mess With You

ipad

The decision to use an unusually small SIM card in the iPad means current iPhone customers can’t just use their iPhone’s SIM in an iPad, as we reported last week.

It appears increasingly likely that this decision was driven not by space considerations (after all, the iPad is much larger than the iPhone), but rather by AT&T’s business strategy. This way, they can charge customers twice for 3G wireless data: Once for the iPhone, and once for the iPad.

Gemalto, which probably makes the micro SIM card in Apple’s iPad, says OEMs might choose to use a micro SIM card because mobile operators set device requirements forcing them to do so. Gemalto couldn’t confirm that it was an Apple supplier, but according to Lok8u, the manufacturer of the only other micro SIM card device currently sold in America, Gemalto is the likely maker of the iPad’s SIM.

“We cannot speak specifically about our relationship with OEMs,” said Gemalto North America vice president of business development Jean-Louis Carrara.

But he was able to speak about the company’s micro SIM card clients in general, shedding light on Apple’s strange decision to use a smaller card in the large iPad device and a larger card in the small iPhone.

The main reason a manufacturer would choose micro SIM, also called 3FF, is to facilitate smaller cellphone designs, as has happened already in Europe, said Carrara.

However, he acknowledged that purely business reasons could play a role in a company’s decision to go with a format that’s all-but-unknown in the United States.

“If you look at where the micro SIM is being used today, it’s in those devices that have real space constraints, but it’s hard to envision a tablet to have that much of a constraint,” said Carrara. “Maybe it does. But it could also be a decision by some OEMs that they would prefer to have a [micro SIM] because it just makes sense with the way they want to run their business, or the customer segment, or the way they want to distribute their devices. We will see OEMs choosing [micro SIM] because they have a physical constraint, but it could also be because they want to have a card that is different than the plug-in SIM.”

No company that works with Apple can say much about it, and Apple and AT&T are themselves notoriously tight-lipped. There is no evidence that the smaller SIM was chosen as a concession to AT&T. But the circumstantial evidence suggests that it was not chosen because of the limited space in the iPad’s chassis.

Carrara agreed with our prediction that a certain segment of buyers will rebel against the purchase of a second wireless data plan by slicing their SIM cards so that they work both in their phones and the iPad.

“There is no difference between the functionality or design of a micro SIM card, when compared to a regular SIM card — the only difference is the size of the extra plastic surrounding the chip,” confirmed Carrara. “Cutting the plastic around [a SIM card] and putting it in a new device is not endangering anything. What it’s probably going to do is that people will probably not cut the plastic properly, and the contacts won’t match on the device, and therefore it won’t perform, but that’s not a problem. You can lose your SIM today and go to the operator and get a new one.”

Edited by mod98commando - 08 February 2010 at 1:45am
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:57am

LOL

Crippled by idiocy. Only an iphone/ ipod plug? Thats it? What if you want to print something you make in iWork? You need an ugly and pointless dongle. And no multitasking? That's understandable on a phone, but replacing netbooks without multitasking?... No.

And the app store is sort of dumb for their approval process sometimes, so they're already pretty limited, and limited software is just worse.

I really hope it's massively improved in its next version, ports, camera and all.
Now its silly
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 6:15am
New question for you guys:  What issues would I have to take into account if I wanted to put OS X on a Windows laptops?  i.e., are there any hardware/software compatibility problems I have to look out for, etc.  I do know that I would have to reinstall Windows for bootcamp if I wanted it, right?
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

New question for you guys:  What issues would I have to take into account if I wanted to put OS X on a Windows laptops?  i.e., are there any hardware/software compatibility problems I have to look out for, etc.  I do know that I would have to reinstall Windows for bootcamp if I wanted it, right?

Major hardware compatibility problems.  If you search around a bit, you should be able to find lists of compatible hardware.  Also, don't expect to simply be able to install updates to OS X, they have a tendency to cause it to stop working.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:35am

LOL

Crippled by idiocy. Only an iphone/ ipod plug? Thats it? What if you want to print something you make in iWork? You need an ugly and pointless dongle. And no multitasking? That's understandable on a phone, but replacing netbooks without multitasking?... No.

And the app store is sort of dumb for their approval process sometimes, so they're already pretty limited, and limited software is just worse.

I really hope it's massively improved in its next version, ports, camera and all.

Now its silly

Ok good.

I was getting my gun ready.

I suspect the next version will be the newer, smaller ipad... able to fit in your pocket.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:39pm

LOL

Now its silly

Ok good.

I was getting my gun ready.

I suspect the next version will be the newer, smaller ipad... able to fit in your pocket.

I've already got the iPad Nano actually. It's almost the same, but much smaller, has a camera, and calling functionality. Craaazy stuff.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Since I've never done it myself, I can't really tell you from experience. However, I've heard putting OSX on a random PC can be a pain because OSX only supports a very limited amount of hardware configurations since its really only designed to be on Apple computers, which Apple picked the parts for. Windows is much more forgiving because it's designed to work on just about everything. That's why it'd be easier to put Windows on your Mac rather than putting OSX on whatever Windows system you buy. I think you can safely rule out anything with an AMD processor as I'm pretty sure OSX only supports the Intel ones but I'm not certain of that. You'll have to google the crap out of that one to find a supported hardware list or maybe find a computer forum where there are more people that are knowledgeable on the whole hackintosh thing. I never had any interest in putting OSX on my systems so I never really looked into it, I've just read some stuff here and there about experiences that others have had trying to do it.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
cocochen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cocochen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 4:51am
Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

Heh, I think the analogy is definitely far from perfect but I know what you were trying to say so I won't break your balls over it Wink

In response to the second part of your post, I too am glad to see USB 3.0 (transfer rates of 5 Gb/s!). I've been keeping an eye on motherboards, CPU's, and memory lately because I'm really itching to upgrade even though my current system is more than adequate despite its age. I was looking at P55 boards with USB 3.0, eSATA, and SATA III ports available for $145 (like this one) which isn't bad.

I see Intel got their CPU/GPU chips out before AMD too which I expected. I'm considering something like that to replace the aging P4 in my HTPC but I think I'll wait until they come out with their second batch so they can work out any kinks with the design of the chip and the H55/57 chipsets. Lots of cool stuff coming out now that I wish I could afford to buy. Still waiting to see wireless USB and SSD's priced at the same cost per GB as traditional mechanical drives though. Damn you student loans and aging vehicles!

EDIT:

LOL

I know that wasn't aimed at me but this article is related so I thought you might find it interesting. (Decided to embed it in this post rather than linking due to some forum-inappropriate stuff in the comments below the article)

Originally posted by wired.com wired.com wrote:

• Crippled by idiocy. Only an iphone/ ipod plug? Thats it? What if you want to print something you make in iWork? You need an ugly and pointless dongle. And no multitasking? That's understandable on a phone, but replacing netbooks without multitasking?... No. 

ipad

The decision to use an unusually small SIM card in the iPad means current iPhone customers can’t just use their iPhone’s SIM in an iPad, as we reported last week.

It appears increasingly likely that this decision was driven not by space considerations (after all, the iPad is much larger than the iPhone), but rather by AT&T’s business strategy. This way, they can charge customers twice for 3G wireless data: Once for the iPhone, and once for the iPad.

Gemalto, which probably makes the micro SIM card in Apple’s iPad, says OEMs might choose to use a micro SIM card because mobile operators set device requirements forcing them to do so. Gemalto couldn’t confirm that it was an Apple supplier, but according to Lok8u, the manufacturer of the only other micro SIM card device currently sold in America, Gemalto is the likely maker of the iPad’s SIM.

“We cannot speak specifically about our relationship with OEMs,” said Gemalto North America vice president of business development Jean-Louis Carrara.

But he was able to speak about the company’s micro SIM card clients in general, shedding light on Apple’s strange decision to use a smaller card in the large iPad device and a larger card in the small iPhone.

The main reason a manufacturer would choose micro SIM, also called 3FF, is to facilitate smaller cellphone designs, as has happened already in Europe, said Carrara.

However, he acknowledged that purely business reasons could play a role in a company’s decision to go with a format that’s all-but-unknown in the United States.

“If you look at where the micro SIM is being used today, it’s in those devices that have real space constraints, but it’s hard to envision a tablet to have that much of a constraint,” said Carrara. “Maybe it does. But it could also be a decision by some OEMs that they would prefer to have a [micro SIM] because it just makes sense with the way they want to run their business, or the customer segment, or the way they want to distribute their devices. We will see OEMs choosing [micro SIM] because they have a physical constraint, but it could also be because they want to have a card that is different than the plug-in SIM.”

No company that works with Apple can say much about it, and Apple and AT&T are themselves notoriously tight-lipped. There is no evidence that the smaller SIM was chosen as a concession to AT&T. But the circumstantial evidence suggests that it was not chosen because of the limited space in the iPad’s chassis.

Carrara agreed with our prediction that a certain segment of buyers will rebel against the purchase of a second wireless data plan by slicing their SIM cards so that they work both in their phones and the iPad.

“There is no difference between the functionality or design of a micro SIM card, when compared to a regular SIM card — the only difference is the size of the extra plastic surrounding the chip,” confirmed Carrara. “Cutting the plastic around [a SIM card] and putting it in a new device is not endangering anything. What it’s probably going to do is that people will probably not cut the plastic properly, and the contacts won’t match on the device, and therefore it won’t perform, but that’s not a problem. You can lose your SIM today and go to the operator and get a new one.”

Edited by cocochen - 15 April 2011 at 4:52am
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 8:23am
MASSIVE necropost.

For the record, I bought a Lenovo and couldn't be happier with it.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 8:53am
and boom goes the dynamite
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 3:41am
LOL WUT?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 11:53am
I wonder why the spam robots are putting borders around their posts now? 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic