FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Archery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional Archery
    Posted: 01 February 2010 at 2:15am
So, I managed to claw my way out of debt, due to negotiations and sweet-talking. How do I celebrate? By indulging myself. I used to be big on archery, and wanted to get back into it. Whew, I tell ya, it's a LOT more complex than just a stick and a bow...

Anyway:

The bow is a Bear Grizzly, 45# @ 28". I happen to have a 31" draw, so I'm pulling 51# at the fingertips. Nothing fancy; just a generic (but nice) recurve. MSRP is $329, and most places sell them for that. However, my local Gander Mountain's archery department had them on sale for $220. Couldn't pass it up. Draw weight's a bit much for me to be learning on, but I really wanted it, and it doesn't stack, even at my draw length. I figure I'll try to get used to it as best I can. I tell ya, after putting a few dozen arrows through it, I get pretty noodly-armed. :(

I made a goof-up with the arrows, thanks to Easton's God-awful arrow selection chart. They're 2315 Easton Gamegetter xx75's. They have a spine of .340 at 29", so I'm grossly overspined. I need a spine of about .500 (the larger the spine, the less stiff). I'm countering that by leaving the arrows uncut and weighting the tips as best as I can. These suckers are 36" long. It kinda helps, but they are still fishtailing a bit. I'm still going to use them to develop form.

When get confident with my form, shot placement and grouping, I'm going wabbit hunting!
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 2:41am
 . . . 
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

. . . 

I don't suppose the phrase "trust me" will work in this situation, will it?

Fine. Well, I didn't want this to derail the thread, but I sold the Buick. That helped me a LOT. I don't really regret it, as I sold it to my dad, and I can get it back in the future. Also, my W2 came in. Also also, I'm selling paintball stuff.

So yeah. Bows and arrows.

Edited by DeTrevni - 01 February 2010 at 2:46am

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 3:11am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Can you really blame us? Wink

Beautiful bow though
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Can you really blame us? Wink

Beautiful bow though

Touche. And thanks! :)

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 3:50am

I can relate to losing cars you love...first I traded my FX2 down to a 6 banger Stang, and this week I'm putting my 56 Ford my Dad and I have been working on up for sale. I realized that with my dad's health failing (early stages of dementia) and my attempt to work my way to law school, things are  going to be tight for a long time, and this may be my last chance to finish a car with him, so we're focusing on the 71 Chevy truck to have it finished in the next six-eight months so we can take it to shows and actually drive something we've been working on.

Parting with both of these is tough stuff, and I get sick every time I look at pics of my FX2, but all will pay off in the end. Eventually I'll be able to buy things that I really want without having to dig myself into and out of debt for them.

I realize not the point of the thread, just relating Big smile
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 7:37am

Detrevni is the ultimate troll.

And he's in it for the long run.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
tippmannfreak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Post, 1/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 8:01am
your parents aren't helping you any...
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 8:26am
51 pounds at the fingertips... On a field bow...

Ouch. My fingers hurt just thinking about that.
They tremble at my name...
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 9:25am

Spending $200 to celebrate getting out of debt is a little ass-backwards, but beautiful bow none the less.

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 9:32am
Im not going to lecture you on spending, im not your mother. But... this is what got you in debt in the first place.

Anyway, im dissappointed to hear you sold the Buick, but at least its in your family still.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 9:38am
Stuff is stuff.

Either you own it, or it owns you.

If your in debt, sell stuff to get out of it, and learn from your mistakes. Cars are poor investment "vehicles".  (pun for mack)

Being debt free is much better than having stuff that owns you.

They tremble at my name...
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 10:06am
i'll be an enabler here and talk archery. I decided to do one thing to spoil myself this winter and it was either going to be buy a longbow, a .22 pistol, or finally build my AK parts kit. I was going to go with a PSE with a 50lb draw @ 28" (I also have about a 30" draw) and get good with it all year and hunt in the fall. I got pretty addicted to archery this summer when I was an instructor at a camp, I managed to stay there all day a few times. It got to a point where only two or three kids out of about 500 could give me a run for my money(ok they'd take it) We were consistently hitting golf balls at about 15 yards by the end of the summer. You're going to have a lot of fun with that thing, and I'm happy to see you went low-tech. When you start adding stabilizers, mechanical rests/releases, sights etc. it gets expensive. Are you using a finger tab or a glove? 
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 10:15am
I just sold my Smith-Corona 1903A3 so I could buy a new barrel assembly and ACE skeleton stock for my SGW/oly arms AR.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 10:21am
No compound?

Ew.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 12:13pm
I am a fan of the recurve.

If you were hunting, It'd be different.  But target archery and recurve go well together.
BU Engineering 2012
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I just sold my Smith-Corona 1903A3 so I could buy a new barrel assembly and ACE skeleton stock for my SGW/oly arms AR.
I thought I'd regret getting rid of my SC '03A3 since it was a freakish tack-driver, but the Garand is just plain fun to shoot. I'll probably be putting the AK together next week  so if I don't start a gun thread I either have successfully built a paper-weight or blew my fingers off.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I thought I'd regret getting rid of my SC '03A3 since it was a freakish tack-driver, but the Garand is just plain fun to shoot. I'll probably be putting the AK together next week  so if I don't start a gun thread I either have successfully built a paper-weight or blew my fingers off.
Yeah,I might have put 100 rnds through the SC it since I had it. It was very accurate but I wanted something different. So I emptied my chest of one rifle and enhanced an old one. My Bushmaster 11.5"/5.5 sup. heavy  barrel should be here Wednesday or Thursday, the stock is on back order until Thursday.  I'll post when I start putting it all together.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I am a fan of the recurve.If you were hunting, It'd be different.  But target archery and recurve go well together.
This.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 3:44pm
Well, I wanted it on the heavier side, as I'd like to hunt boar with it one day. This'll manage nicely. :)

I'm shooting with a tab right now.

Edit: I don't think you guys are understanding my situation. My dad didn't buy it to bail me out, he's been pestering me for the Buick for a while. They're not big on spoiling me. All the cool stuff I own, I earned it. As for the bow, I paid for it cash in hand. I'm not tossing myself back in debt so soon.

Edited by DeTrevni - 01 February 2010 at 3:58pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic