Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An odd poll on writing styles.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Whats your preferred writing style?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [63.64%]
1 [3.03%]
4 [12.12%]
7 [21.21%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An odd poll on writing styles.
    Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:27am
Do you print or use cursive (script?)

The reason I ask is that yesterday I was doing some work at an assisted living residence run by a local convent and was given a handwritten note by one of the sisters that was written in a meticulous cursive, and I realized that that style of writing is a rapidly dying art. It seems like if I can't type it, I'll hastily scrawl it in print.

I think, for me, this came from when I was in college feverishly trying to scribble down lecture notes.

I've been trying to make a conscious effort to use more cursive lately, for no real reason other than my own satisfaction.

How about it? What do you use?

For some reason, there's a handful of you that I imagine using cursive quite often, but I'll keep my guesses to myself for the time being just to see if my hunches pan out.

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:42am
My handwriting is kind of a combination between print and cursive.  I usually connect letters that can naturally be connected (such as all the letters in 'the').  I always print any of the letters that are weird in cursive (z, f, some others I think).  It's definitely not strict cursive but it goes faster than printing and I've never had a problem with someone being able to read it.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:03am
I write in cursive when I'm writing notes without a lot of numbers or formula's.

For example, I print when taking notes in Physics, but if I were writing notes about something like Western Civilization, I write in cursive.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:20am
I must use both...nature of the beast that I am employed to.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 11:06am
I print exclusively.  I think this stemmed from when I first started learning cursive.  Anytime we had an assignment, the teachers would require you to use cursive.  The fact that I had to use it made me not want to use it.  Then once they stopped requiring it, I stopped using it, then I mostly forgot it.  The only time I use cursive is my signature.  My handwriting is really bad though, it's more like random scrawl than anything.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 11:23am

I rarely use cursive anymore. In my line of work, I utilize a lot of numbers and abbreviations, which are more decipherable in print than in cursive. As an example, I may have to write down a part number such as TPSE336K025AS, which contains both letters and numbers, and follow it up with additional notes. Really hard for me to try and switch back and forth. Also, my cursive is nearly unreadable, so it would be pointless.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 11:54am
I was told in 6th grade that highschoolers wrote in cursive so everyone was required to write in cursive. Got to highschool and the dumb girl behind me didn't know how to read cursive and couldn't properly grade my papers so I started writing in print and never stopped.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 12:46pm
I type.  If I can't type I print (because of hand/arm problems.)
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by WGP guy2 WGP guy2 wrote:

My handwriting is kind of a combination between print and cursive.  I usually connect letters that can naturally be connected (such as all the letters in 'the').  I always print any of the letters that are weird in cursive (z, f, some others I think).  It's definitely not strict cursive but it goes faster than printing and I've never had a problem with someone being able to read it.

This is a pretty good description of what I do.

Legibility of my notes is highly dependent on the speed at which I'm taking them, as the letters start to flow together a bit more and turn into just series of different height mountains when I'm writing at full speed.  I can still read it, but my girlfriend will look at them later and be like "That's not a word.  It's a mess."
BU Engineering 2012
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:33pm
I never write in cursive except to sign my name. I just print, as its clearer to me, and I'm never asked for cursive, it's either typed or printed.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:51pm
I found while in the Army that many could not read cursive, so I began to write in a large block style. I still write in a large block style, and a lot of forms are almost too small for my writting. I have basically lost the ability to write cursive over the years except for signature. Back in my day we learned in grade school to make letters then sentance structure in cursive early. I think one of the final essays in English in high school was required to be written in cursive.
Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:54pm
The only time I use cursive is whe I'm signing my name.

I use to write some stuff in calligraphy.  Now calligraphy is a dead art fo sho.

Edited by Uncle Rudder - 29 January 2010 at 2:55pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

I print exclusively.  I think this stemmed from when I first started learning cursive.  Anytime we had an assignment, the teachers would require you to use cursive.  The fact that I had to use it made me not want to use it.  Then once they stopped requiring it, I stopped using it, then I mostly forgot it.  The only time I use cursive is my signature.  My handwriting is really bad though, it's more like random scrawl than anything.

QFT. I despise reading cursive anymore, I doubt I can even write it.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 6:50pm
It all depends on how I feel. The lazier I get, the less I pick up the pen, the more I use a cursive style of writing (not true cursive). Mostly I use print though, and sometimes I switch between capitals and lowercase throughout.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 6:54pm
I can read/write in cursive, but I NEVER do, so if I try it becomes a meticulous task that takes forever and still looks no better than my print. 
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:00pm
If I'm taking notes or writing a letter, I write in cursive.  At work I print.  Our logbooks are considered legal documents.  Any entries must be clear and easy to read in case the logs are used for evidence.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:11pm
Cursive. I hate printing.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:43pm
Depends.  Seeing as most of my writing is in classes, the break down is like this:

If I'm into the subject matter, I'll print.  Just the way it happens.

If couldn't care less about the subject matter, I'll do some cursive.  Helps entertain me a bit.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:49pm
I would describe it as disconnected cursive print if it's not intended for someone else.
Cursive fragments if the letters connect easily, to print if not, back to cursive...
Cursive in a letter to someone.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 8:16pm
I never write in cursive anymore, it's just kinda died out.

BUT, I learned all my letters as the d'nealian alphabet, so all of my writing has the curves that help you transition into cursive, so my letters occasionally still run together.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic