FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woot! All nighter...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woot! All nighter...
    Posted: 29 January 2010 at 4:06am
It's 4:11 AM, and I'm still up working on a 3000-5000 word paper for my abnormal psych class. I'm getting increasingly delirious. Yaaay!
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Flurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:20am
Make sure to re-read it when you wake up.  you can make some odd mistakes when you are half asleep.
It sucks being antisocial alone.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:38am
Well, I suppose if you're writing an abnormal Psyche paper, hanging out here is as close to field research as you can get. 

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 8:29am
Ew. All-nighters are rarely worth it, in my experience.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:10am
The only time I ever did an allnighter was my senior year in college when I had to put together a professional teaching portfolio.
It was literally printing out everything I'd done that semester (as well as a few things that I didn't do but faked) and putting it into a meticulous order in a binder that could have doubled as a sea anchor.

Aside from that, it was never worth it.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Except when you have no time...
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Except when you have no time...

Even the though, the excessive taxation on the brain plunges you into a delirium faster than normal that can really take a nasty toll on the overall quality of work.

I've seen students hand me projects and papers that were written at 3 or 4 in the morning that ends with sentences that aren't of an intelligible language.

When I was in school, I'd almost have rather handed in something that was 'not quite complete' but quality than something that was all there and gibberish.

Also, it makes the following day worse than hangover days.  

Edited by Reb Cpl - 29 January 2010 at 9:31am

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 9:37am
Oh yeah I definitely agree. I have been so tired and sometimes have no idea what I am even writing. I have also been well rested and been perfectly fine to be up at 3 or 4 writing. I guess it depends on how tired you are going into it.
Que pasa?

FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:39am
Ya, I wont refuse to study or do homework after 10pm. An hour of relaxing and then 7 hours of REM sleep is to important.
<1 meg sig = bad>
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:51am
It's a course I'm taking by correspondence from another university. My school will only look at it as a credit either passed or failed no impact on GPA.

I already did the quizzes (worth 25%) and the exam (worth 40%) and got my marks, and I had between 80 and 85% going into the paper. So long as the paper's a pass (which I'm certain it is) I'm good to go.

The issue is that my contract for the correspondence course is done by Sunday, and I want this to be graded by the prof and submitted before that time, hence the all nighter.

Still, not pleasant. I emailed it in at 5 in the morning. I may go back later and reread it just to see how much less sense it makes now. As long as I pass this one though, I'm good to go.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 12:41pm
I had the easiest Abnormal Psych class ever...

... It was taught by an old professor who just didn't give a damn any more, and regularly informed the class he was high at the time of lecture.

It was so awesome.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

I had the easiest Abnormal Psych class ever...

... It was taught by an old professor who just didn't give a damn any more, and regularly informed the class he was high at the time of lecture.

It was so awesome.

I had a sociology teacher like that my freshman year.  She regularly would slip up and mention the painkillers making her loopy or the handles of liquor she had to buy at the time(dry county up until last year), etc.  It was cool at the time, because we never had to do anything. But after the first test turned out to be brutally hard due to no idea what it was going to be about, some kids complained and we had to be taught by the head of the social sciences dept. for the rest of the semester.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:00pm
Unfortunately 95% of my classes have been taught by dept. heads.

Never a good time.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Even the though, the excessive taxation on the brain plunges you into a delirium faster than normal that can really take a nasty toll on the overall quality of work.

I think that depends on practice and how much sleep the person is used to getting.

I've pulled two all nighters in college.  The first was pure hell, finishing a program in C.  Had a couple of errors that in a wakeful state would have taken me a while to notice, but at 4 in the morning were entirely invisible.  Wound up taking a caffeine pill which woke me up so well it was alarming and managed to finish the project by 5:30 in the morning (about 10 hours after I started editing it).

The second time was the weekend before this last finals week. We had to implement a version of I^2C (a data bus technology, without getting into the ooey gooey details) with a mix of Logicworks and VHDL (a hardware description language).  In the process I had to teach myself VHDL from scratch and spent 12 hours just plugging away non-stop at it.  That time actually went pretty well, mostly because I was blasting a mix of "Push it to the limit", "You're the best around" and "Eye of the tiger", as well as the speeches from Braveheart, Independence day, and Aragron's speech at the Black Gate.  

At 3:30AM, after a week of no sleep, and on the verge of cracking from stress from the last 2 months, when Aragorn says to you "This day we fight!", you raise your head and whisper back "yeah . . . man . . . this day we fight!" Embarrassed

Also, it makes the following day worse than hangover days.  

Oh god, truer words have never been spoken.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:19pm
Closest I've come to an all nighter was sleeping for two hours in between finishing an essay and practice my first semester freshman year.  Got a B+ in that writing class, so it can't have been too bad.

Practice sucked hard though.
BU Engineering 2012
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:04pm
I pulled an all-nighter for my American Government final. I ended the semester with an A- so I couldn't have done that bad.

Edited by jerseypaint - 29 January 2010 at 7:05pm
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2010 at 9:31pm
I pulled a few all nighters because my work schedule picked up at the same time my work schedule increased, as well as social/love life. So time was in shorty supply. I already have severe insomnia so me operating on little sleep is common. I actually feel when I get to the point of being really, really tired I get more clever and can analyze things better.

That and homeless men a cubicle over in the 24 hour lab, redeeming coke caps for points at 3 am, really helps me critical thinking.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic