FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apple is at it again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I see a lot of people play games like WoW on their macbooks. No problems at all. I don't see why people have such a fuss over it.

It's an old joke about not being able to game on macs. Everyone gets that you can run windows, or mac games just fine now.

Question on this actually.

Do you still, for the most part, need to buy separate games for osx or do all games work on both windows and osx now?

What I meant to say was you can run windows (and windows games then), and mac games (on os x)
You do need seperate games, for sure, blizzard is one of the few companies that puts both versions on the same disk (or at least used to?)

EA made some thing about releasing titles for mac at the same time, but its not noticeable, or maybe they just dont make what I want?

So then why would I buy an apple computer if I was a computer gamer?

Since I would have to run windows anyways, wouldn't that negate the only (theoretical) advantage of buying an Apple computer: the OS? Aren't I just left with overpriced, underpowered hardware on a computer running windows?

The OS is a big advantage, in my opinion, OS X is a far better and more reliable operating system. Well, more reliable has already been debated on here, generally siding that because of the hardware control, yes it is.

But then you can easily run both OS's depending on what you're doing.

Also, underpowered? No.

I run L4D2, CSS, TF2, BF2, and more on my laptop just fine, and I've seen COD4 on them too.

Reliability is debatable and though I don't necessarily disagree with you (nor do I completely agree with you), I am going to ignore that point. You are tech savy enough I'm sure, that the differences in reliability and ease of use between OSX and Windows are hardly factors. 

I am talking about them being underpowered for the price. Power in this case is relative to price. It wouldn't matter if it could play the newest games on the highest settings if you play twice as much for it than a pc. The fact is that you pay a ton more for lower quality hardware from apple.

There are pretty much three legitimate reasons that I can think of as why a person would buy an apple computer:

1) You are technologically retarded or new to computers and need the absolute easiest software to learn on. (there's nothing wrong with this)

2) You are the 1/10 of graphic designers who use apple computers and actually NEED what they have to offer (Not the 9/10 who seem to think they do)

3) You bought your apple computer as a fashion accessory (Again, nothing wrong with this unless you did for this reason and claim otherwise)

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 27 January 2010 at 12:48am
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 12:50am
How does "Genuinely prefers the operating system in every way, as well as the support and coverage offered" not count?
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:50am
meh, people kept saying how the iPhone is going to be this amazing gaming machine, and we all see how that turned out. Kind of like the Wii a billion games with maybe 10 that are worth playing.

I reallllllllllllllllllly want this tablet to be mind blowing cool and awesome, but I cannot for the life of me see what will make me want this or another tablet thats out right now.
<1 meg sig = bad>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:35am
Frog Man, the iPhone is revolutionary in the fact that it's the first successful mobile phone to bring in significant third party development. Failures like the N-Gage aside (I haz one), a cell phone has never been this versatile or had this much gaming attention.

The Wii = fail

iPhone = Monster success

If there's one thing I'll give apple, it's that they could market wooden nickels for a dollar. Even I never would have seen the iPhone attracting the mind blowing amount of development and even Indy development.

That being said-I really am not a fan. My phone is only half reliable, battery life is terrible, Internet functions are eh, and the gaming side of things is really just an advancement of things flash based browsers have been doing for years. But it did set a standard by which phone technology will be judged...and this from a computer company.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:45am
I missed your reasoning on the Wii = fail comment, please elaborate.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:52am
Mostly just Nintendo saying "eff you" to their die hard console fans and catering to the casual audience. The Box and and the PS3 are ahead by far in terms of quality in titles.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 4:05am
Not quite strato, the Wii is perfect for their die hard fans, and it has ridiculous mass appeal. The problem isn't with that. The problem is that the Nintendo Seal of Quality doesn't mean a thing anymore. Any joe can make a terrible webgame knockoff and get it published, which floods the shelves with overpriced crud.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 4:16am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Mostly just Nintendo saying "eff you" to their die hard console fans and catering to the casual audience. The Box and and the PS3 are ahead by far in terms of quality in titles.
Casual audience?  I have never been impressed with anything Nintendo produced until the Wii.  Sure, it isn't a powerhouse compared to the 360 or PS3, but it is fun to play. 

According to NPD, the “biggest sales month ever” came with a 4% jump in overall console sales, with Nintendo leading the way with the Wii selling 3.81 million units (December 2008 saw 2.15 million units for the same month). While Nintendo DS units came in with 3.31 million pieces moved, The PS3 at 1.36 million units and the Xbox 360 at 1.31 million consoles sold.

The Wii and DS sales have eclipsed the 360 and PS3 by more than 2:1.  Pretty dominant for a console full of fail.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 7:10am

How does "Genuinely prefers the operating system in every way, as well as the support and coverage offered" not count?

#1 and/or #2

Either that or non-legit.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 27 January 2010 at 7:12am
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:13am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Casual audience?  I have never been impressed with anything Nintendo produced until the Wii.  Sure, it isn't a powerhouse compared to the 360 or PS3, but it is fun to play. 

According to NPD, the “biggest sales month ever” came with a 4% jump in overall console sales, with Nintendo leading the way with the Wii selling 3.81 million units (December 2008 saw 2.15 million units for the same month). While Nintendo DS units came in with 3.31 million pieces moved, The PS3 at 1.36 million units and the Xbox 360 at 1.31 million consoles sold.

The Wii and DS sales have eclipsed the 360 and PS3 by more than 2:1.  Pretty dominant for a console full of fail.

Mostly this was about the die-hard Nintendo fans, which, as Choop was saying, counted on Nintendo in the old days for top notch quality control and a fairly steady stream of console specific titles.

Nintendo has been in quality decline since the N64 in an attempt to outsell Sony...and now, X-Box. They've succeeded to an extent, but at the cost of alot of fans, and the loss of at least one really good third party developer.

I'm so critical of the Wii because when I was a kid I worshipped nintendo-everything they put out was greatness, and their partnership with Rare produced some of the greatest titles of all time. Now their claim to fame is a series of mini-games and a fitness program-? Meh, I'll take my 360.

And yes, btw, I own a Wii :P
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:41am
The Wii and the DS were both catered to the casual video game user (As opposed to the PS3/360 and PSP) and Nintendo has made bank on both platforms.

I'm not entirely sure they are concerned with the hardcore gamer (Think lots of Mountain Dew, very little social life) anymore, as they know they can get two casuals to buy a Wii or DS for every dork buying a Xbox.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:37am
I don't think nintendo has marketed to the hardcore genre since the snes...they've always been the family friendly console that put out great, colorful games. But I guess I'm just being old school-like Choop said, it really is a natural progression from what they were to now. You have to adapt or else pull a Sega.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:45am

I don't think jesus made my laptop, and when I broke its screen I watched it glow and heal itself.

Some Apple fan boys believe Steve Jobs is The Almighty and talk as if AppleCare is a modern miracle, so I believe the comparison still stands.

Wink

Edited by God - 27 January 2010 at 10:46am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:24am
wii is a marketing marvel. To think that old technology can sell that number of units and titles is amazing by any standard. The graphics are lousy, the console is tiny with almost no add ons. And yet, it RULES on the market. They only recently had their FIRST price drop.

The wii wins over xbox and ps3, period. Because console winners are determined by product base, and wii has way more systems out there than the others.

Apple is in a different class, as they have had countless marketing marvels for years. I remember when they were in their tough times, I bought stock because Steve Jobs knows how to market. He makes his stuff fit perfectly and have style, back when pc makers were still selling off white boxes...

He made the original imac, and pretty soon they were everywhere.

When you build your company into an icon that people will tattoo onto their body... Then you know marketing, and design.

That is what apple sells, the convergence of great software to amazingly detailed hardware. That isn't compatible with junk...

Making it work well, when used as it is designed to be used.

Unlike windows that is suppost to work with all the junk that is thrown to the market daily. No wonder the software is so unreliable, look at everything it has to support...

They tremble at my name...
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:24am

I don't think nintendo has marketed to the hardcore genre since the snes...they've always been the family friendly console that put out great, colorful games. But I guess I'm just being old school-like Choop said, it really is a natural progression from what they were to now. You have to adapt or else pull a Sega.

IMO they have done a great job keeping up. Being just a video game company they didn't really have other markets to absorb losses on each console like Microsoft and Sony. They produced a console which could sell originally for $250 and still make money off them, not to mention the tons of games.

When it comes to consoles I am a casual gamer. I do all my FPS action on my computer and leave the Wii to handle more social settings. Yesterday I dropped it off at a friend's house because after work we all end up over at his place. In the past 24 hours nobody has touched the 360 sitting next to my Wii. I think I got them all hooked on the old NES and SNES Mario games again. Hell that's why I bought it, virtual console.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is maybe you aren't part of the Wii demographic. They don't market to the hardcore gamers because they have found more money to make off of casual gamers. That's why Nintendo has sold 56 million Wiis, Sony sold 27 million PS3s, and Microsoft sold 39 million 360s.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 12:12pm
A couple of things on this-

a:) When I say die-hard fans, I'm speaking of Nintendo fans. I consider myself the demographic that nintendo is
marketing to-I have maybe 3-5 hours a week tops to sit at home and game. But don't confuse casual with people who don't care about the quality of the product.

b:) FE, before you declare the Wii a marvel in marketing, consider a couple of factors. For one, life expectancy of a console. Both Sony and MS are still early on in their life cycles. The Wii, on the other hand, has gaming-wise, peaked. Number two goes back to quality and is implied by point one. To KEEP UP that kind of sales rate, the Wii would have to remain valid technology wise, long past it's initial price job. The others will, Wii won't.

I see what you guys mean sales wise,and I agree it has done well, but sales are only a portion of the picture here
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 12:26pm

A couple of things on this-

b:) FE, before you declare the Wii a marvel in marketing, consider a couple of factors. For one, life expectancy of a console. Both Sony and MS are still early on in their life cycles. The Wii, on the other hand, has gaming-wise, peaked. Number two goes back to quality and is implied by point one. To KEEP UP that kind of sales rate, the Wii would have to remain valid technology wise, long past it's initial price job. The others will, Wii won't.

I see what you guys mean sales wise,and I agree it has done well, but sales are only a portion of the picture here

I'd be willing to bet that you are wrong. Wii will continue to sell more systems, and wii2 will be better graphically I bet, and still play the games of wii one...

Have you seen wii resort? or Tiger woods golf on the wii?...

I have both, and the new sensor is amazing. Tiger woods golf is a golf simulator, and just crazy how accurate it is, and at the cost for a simulator... it blows away the competition.

That technology will drive lots of new games that will continue to be successful in the future.

Plus, unlike the other manufacturers of consoles, Nintendo has made money on every unit sold... Quite a bit actually.

Plus you figure the average player has at least 4 controllers and at least 2 of the add on numchucks, and you have a very lucrative market.

Add in what they are spending on R&D and the wii and wii2 will be here for the long term... It will take a lot for xbox (red dot error) and ps3 to unseat it.

I have my next wii party in two weeks... How many ps3 or xbox parties have you ever heard of?

Unlike the sony ps3 where they lose money on each sale, just to "add" to their client base... Not a very good business model...
They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:15pm
Well, several friends and I had 360 parties once a week before college started, and I know several
other people who did that so...eh?

And as far as Wii2, that's my point. I'm looking forward to Wii2, but that doesn't count towards this Wiis life cycle, which will require a second system to compensate for what the first failed to keep up with in it's generation.

My idea on the Wii? Great concept (bought mine week 1), terrible execution in several ways, so third party developers forwarded their pet IPs to the other two.

Also, buisness model-wise-without doubt Nintendo planned better financially. How do you lose money when you basically recycle a mild update of the last years system as next gen?

Don't get me wrong-I really wanted the Wii to be the best of the 3, I just don't feel (my opinion obviously) that it succeeded quality wise.

Edited by stratoaxe - 27 January 2010 at 2:51pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:27pm

Really? Never heard of 360 parties are you joking?

Maybe its the age difference but i've never actually heard of an organized wii party. Yet there have been countless 360 parties that I have heard about.

jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:54pm
Halo 2 on LAN with 16 people was always fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic