FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mass Effect 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:29pm
My old roommate had Mass Effect 1 which seemed pretty cool, but I cant shake my opinion that its....too big... for me to play and enjoy. I know that's kind of backwards, but I'm not big on rpg's and such and a game of that scale just wound up seeming tedious just because of the sheer amount of things you can do.

Convince me otherwise? I generally love sandbox games, so..
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 4:47pm
It's a pretty casual RPG, nothing like KOTOR or Dragon Age. I beat the first in around 18-20 hours if I remember correctly, half the time of more extreme RPGs.

And even in regular RPGs generally you can take the option of letting the computer do the complicated stuff, i.e. auto leveling and so on.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:44pm
Choop, ME2 is more of story driven action game. If I remember correctly, you are a fan of 24, correct? This is 24 in the galaxy with quite a few twist in the story. I was blown away by several of the events that have happened so far in the sequel and I'm 25 hours in to it.

On top of that, your choices have major consequences in the future of not only the current game, but the entire trilogy. You can choose to save a random civilian from a bully in the first game, and in the second game they end up saving your ass. And that's what I love about the game... moral decisions. Do you put the mission firs, or do you save the hapless person?

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 3:45am
I have actually never watched even 10 seconds of 24. And is this real moral decision making...or video game morals. Most of the time "choosing a path" in a video game means you get a different 1 of...maybe 4 outcomes.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I have actually never watched even 10 seconds of 24. And is this real moral decision making...or video game morals. Most of the time "choosing a path" in a video game means you get a different 1 of...maybe 4 outcomes.

I know Dragon Age had essentially 4-6 outcomes, with maybe 40 different subplot outcomes, depending how you courted other characters in your party and decisions you made leading up to the end of the game.

I'm sure ME2 has at least that many options.

And yes, it's still video game "morals".  At least in Dragon Age, the difficulty of moral choice was something along the lines of "dabble in 'evil' magic and get this cool ring, or don't...and nothing bad happens...".  I'd love to play a game that actually presented difficult moral situations that affected future game play.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic