FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vancouver the least affordable city

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Ohio is hell on earth.
Fixed.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Location, Location, Location. Just like any metro the closer to 'downtown' the higher the cost. NYC-Westchester County-White Plains- Orange County, same formula. Again closer to a major arterial to metro higher price Fremont, NE to Omaha on 275 prices tripled when 275 was finished as a 4 lane.

And then when the community is isolated, and no work, prices plummet, Davenport, NY the house I own was worth $315,000 when Oneonta was booming, now that jobs are scarce and Delaware County classified as depresed, could not sell the house for $95,000.

So welcome to the real world.

Welcome to the real world? We all get how pricing works, and that closer to town = more expensive, and that supply/ demand obviously affects it.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Well considering we've also been voted the best city in the world to live in, I think I do.
Meh.
You wouldn't happen to be one of those people that insists their city/ country is the greatest without ever being anywhere else are you?
I hate where I actually live to be quite honest, mainly because I hate the cold and winter. I am guessing due to the farther north location, that it's more of the same in Vancouver. If I am going to spend that kind of jack to live, it would be in a warmer climate. Personal preference I guess.

This winter has actually been stupid warm. I wore my jacket again for the first time for about a month because it's been too warm for it otherwise. Hoodie weather at worst.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

Its all about location.  In any downtown atmosphere you are going to sacrifice space and pay a higher price.

My apartment here in West Lafayette IN is $800 a month for a 2 bedroom.
I'm going to go find you. Isn't this your senior year?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Impulse. View Drop Down
Banned for linkage to Doll Pron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:16pm
I could not imagine living in California for that matter. Honestly what does Cali offer that other states don't. A ocean and good weed? And your still payin up the ass to live a hour away from the ocean? No thank you.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Impulse. Impulse. wrote:

I could not imagine living in California for that matter. Honestly what does Cali offer that other states don't. A ocean and good weed? And your still payin up the ass to live a hour away from the ocean? No thank you.

Plus it might actually be in danger of falling off into the ocean.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:29pm

So geographical location is all that matters? Not the city itself? Its culture? Ammenities? etc?
Impulse. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:29pm
If Cali gets the "big one" we are all screwed.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:26pm

So geographical location is all that matters? Not the city itself? Its culture? Ammenities? etc?

Lol culture?
Impulse. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:33pm

What I look in a city is pretty simple. Laws, taxes, traffic, job oppurtunity, and price of living.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:30pm

In many cases culture follows location.  I.e. A good location drives up prices because of supply and demand which results in a general rise in the incomes in an area and the people associated with those higher incomes create a market for the "culture" which follows them in.  (Simplified explanation but basically accurate; I will add that sometimes the cycle of location/money/culture becomes self-sustaining and leads to prices really getting out of control/inflated.)
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:46pm
cry moar :P
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:50pm
If you're smart you'll buy a bunch of empty inland property just east of the fault line, and just wait and sit on it. The big one hits, and bam, you're sitting on acres and acres of prime beachfront. 
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 7:18pm
$800/month for the 3 bedroom down here in FL.

Choop, whats the driving time between SFU and Seattle?  If I get an internship in Seattle I'll likely be making quite a few trips to SFU.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 7:25pm
Thinking of visiting a forumer that attends there?

Use the Mapquest.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Thinking of visiting a forumer that attends there?

Use the Mapquest.

Nope.  I know the Mapquest time, but the actual time is usually quite a bit different (especially at those distances).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by WGP guy2 WGP guy2 wrote:

$800/month for the 3 bedroom down here in FL.Choop, whats the driving time between SFU and Seattle?  If I get an internship in Seattle I'll likely be making quite a few trips to SFU.

About 3 hours or so, depending on the border and traffic I guess
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:00am
I am living in Victoria it pricing is also crazy, but I got a decent place. Its one bedroom but its really big, and its got a dishwasher im paying $900, it includes nothing, and it about 20 min walk to down town. My brother lives in vancouver between UBC and downtown, he pays about the same price, though his place is smaller and his heat is free.
<1 meg sig = bad>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:58am
Texas is just a crazy cheap place to live. My buddy had a very nice two bedroom apartment for 650, all expenses paid off of Hulen in fort worth.

Another friend of mine rented a house for 900 a month.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 4:41am

If Cali gets the "big one" we are all screwed.
I disagree.  Cali is an economic black  hole.  It dropping off into the ocean would probably help.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 4:43am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

If you're smart you'll buy a bunch of empty inland property just east of the fault line, and just wait and sit on it. The big one hits, and bam, you're sitting on acres and acres of prime beachfront. 
Wasn't that a Lex Luthor scheme from the first Superman movie?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic