Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X7 BIG PROBLEMS chopping and others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Doctor Yes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doctor Yes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X7 BIG PROBLEMS chopping and others
    Posted: 26 January 2010 at 12:53am
Hello Everybody

Just to let you all know, I am posting for a friend. I do not own a X-7 phenom, but my buddy bought one late December and he is not very forum savvy so I thought I would try to get some help from you all. I was under the impression that Tippmann markers were the true work horses of painball. Rugged, reliable, accurate, easy to work on, and well made

To say that taking this gun out was dissappointing was an understatement. We aired it up with a guerilla air tank with myth reg and took it out for target practice. The gun broke the third ball we shot on semi. We were shocked. We cleaned the gun and chaulked it up to a fluke. We shot again and within 10 balls another break. We turned the velocity down and have more breaks. This gun has broken more paint then any gun I have ever seen shot in my entire life. Fully automatic is HORRIBLY inaccurate and breaks paint like a blender.

We orginally thought it was because of the stock barrel. I mean, every review all over the internet comments about how it is easy on paint and never breaks a ball right? My friend then plunked down the money and bought the flatline barrel kit hoping that once we got the barrel tuned he would have excellent range and it would be accurate. WRONG. One out of every 12 balls would actually fly far, none of the shots were close to accuracte, one out of every 8 balls broke, and getting the barrel adjusted did no good at all. The accuracy was so bad that only one out of every 8 shots in semi would hit a barrel at 25 feet (verified with tape measure) and I could not hit him jogging away at 30 feet with the gun using ultra premium paint shooting full auto.

After that shooting session we decided to check out the inside of the barrel. WOW. The metal part used to connect the barrel to the gun looked like it had absolutely ZERO finishing work done to it. There were sharp metal burrs all over the inside that would make contact with the paint balls. He then decided to buy a different barrel kit.

We then purchased the Straight Line barrel kit. It was expensive but was a really great concept. Once again, the reviews raved about it. The finishing work inside the barrel looked great too. Did it shoot well? It shot better then either the stock barrel and the Flatline BUT he still broke more paint then he should (1 out of every 13 balls) and fully automatic is out of the question still because of how much paint is being broken.

Tonight his brother (who my friend and his brother together with their father own a machine shop) came by to take a look at the gun. His brother owns many many markers and a ton of classics as well (VM-68 and PMI pump anyone?). Togther they decided to check out the bolt. It looks like there was almost zero finishing work done on it as well. Metal burrs and shoddy work abound.

They are convinced it is a good idea to take the bolt down to their machine shop and do the finishing work thenselves that should have been done at the factory. They have not done so yet so I am writing you all because I need every Tippmann owner's help. We have cleaned and relubed every part as per the manual. We have inspected every single o-ring. Nothing has helped.

Does this sound a little rediculous to you?

Have others of you had problems like this with thier Phenom? Could you take a look at your bolts and maybe take some shots if it is bad?

Is there any settings he can change to make this thing more accurate and not break rediculous amounts of pain? Is there even hopes of getting this gun to shoot full auto without it becoming a blender?

He has sank $375+tax in to the gun, $50 on a stock, $40 on a red dot sight, $80 on the flatline barrel, $150 on the straight line barrel. To say he is upset is an understatement. Almost (aside from flames) any and all help would be appriciated. We really want to like this gun as it looks great and he has spent a ton of money on it but right now this is the worst painball gun we have ever seen. Please help us.
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 1:44am
Few questions first.  What kind of paint was being used.  If it was a cheap paint or an old stale batch the cyclone may make short work of it.  Also what was the temp?  using certain paintballs in low temps (freezing and below) can often give shoddy perfomance.  If he is unhappy with it though there is the option of contacting tippmann with the problem.  they have excellent customer service and have always been very esy to deal with if i had any problems.  i would not recomend machining the bolt before contacting tippmann as it will most likely void the warranty.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 10:33am
A second question would be what the velocity was set at in feet per second (fps) when he was shooting.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 6:49pm
shens

Wamba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by TinMan TinMan wrote:

shens

agree.
unclebob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:34pm
I dunno bud I bought an X7 with e trigger last here first thing i bought was a flatline barrel and i gotta say its not mainly for accuracy but for distance  but if u use decent paint its not that bad i had some breaks here and there but once i bought squishy paddles ,new power rod and power tubei barely ever break paint now
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 4:03pm
 A few weeks ago I contacted Tippmann about the number of mentions we saw on the forum about the rough bolt face on the Phenom. The response back was that they had added an additional finishing process on the bolts and any user that was experiencing ball chopping could contact Tippmann for warranty replacement.

Although if your friends brother is a machinist he should be able to take care of things right there.
slim and shady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slim and shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:23pm
Mine was just as bad if not worse. I had horrible problems with it. I pulled the bolt out same problem it was horrible. No finishing at all was done it was like the bolt face was razor blades. I was very upset. I phoned Tippmann more then a little unhappy at buying a 500$ marker that couldnt even compair to a 50$ spyder. My bluster though was quickly stolen away by there custumer service. In no time at all I hung up the phone happy and my new properly machined bolt was in the mail. I told them I had already fixed the bolt myself with a dremel. They said they would send me a new bolt and a little "care kit" anyways for my inconvenience. He did admit that it was a large problem they were having with the new marker. So no, your not alone. Take heart in the fact the company will do anything to make sure your happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic