FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All White Basketball Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 5:34pm
And since I didn't add this in the original post, I just wanted to throw out there that there are several cliched responses to stories such as this I'd like to comment on (and one of these has already been addressed, albeit sarcastically, by Hysteria) . These are the ideas that I was hoping would get brought up when I posted this.

WET. WET may very well be the most famous non existent TV station in history. But moving past the obvious BET / WET debate, the whole THEY HAVE THEIRS WHY DONT WE HAVE OURS THING is growing pretty old fast, and is really part of the whole mindset that keeps the race issue held back to this taboo grudge match between whites and blacks.

I think it comes down to a two wrongs mentality...if you want to affect change, you have to elevate yourself above this revenge mindset-while alot of times white people piss and moan about the NAACP and overblown figures like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson victimizing the black community, they themselves offer the same victimizing rhetoric in reverse form.

Starting an all white television network isn't going to solve anything, for the same reason this all white basketball game isn't going to stick it in the face of those who you blame for "tarnishing" the image of the game with black players (I could go on a rant about how ridiculous that is, but I'd just be preaching to the choir).

I used to hold the same ideas-I just couldn't get over the fact that there's a black history month, or that there's a BET, a black college fund, blah blah blah, but really this is just adding flames to the fire you're trying to put out. Should it be unlawful for a race to say "Hey-we're gonna have an all <insert race here> form of <insert medium here>"? For me at least, no. It's a free country. So that being said, should we run out and create the same? Why-just so you can waste money, time, and image on some failed buisness expenditure like this one? Be my guest.

The market gets what the market wants. You know why we don't have all white basketball teams? The same reason we don't have White History Month-Nobody gives a rat's ass. Would you tune in to watch the history of white people? It's called history class, and lots of you yawned your way through it in high school.

That's my rant, not aimed at any of you guys, just at the attitude I see in stories like this in general.

TL;DR-Racism is silly.
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 12:45pm
Sorry to bump, Embarrassed, but I saw this on the Facebook account of a chick I went to High School with and immediately thought of youse so I figured I'd share.  Oh how I love Georgia.

Originally posted by Fabo Chick Fabo Chick wrote:

ok so there is a little controversy about this whole Vanity Fair magazine. and can you guess what it is about....b/c there isnt any black actresses on it. REALLY? when are we going to give this whole black/white thing a <darn> rest!! it's annoying and ignorant! maybe next month they'll have all black actresses who knows!? but when is the last time you've heard white people say ANYTHING about Ebony magazines or other ethic magazines.NEVER! i swear if white people made a magazine that was just for "white people" it would be the end of the FREAKING world! Oprah would <poopy> a brick! lol and you wouldnt hear the end of it.

Edited by Hysteria - 05 February 2010 at 12:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic