Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 Air Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Thads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 Air Leak
    Posted: 15 January 2010 at 11:32am
My A-5 is leaking air down the barrel and from the tombstone. I have tried everything from cocking the gun before airing it up and replacing some internal parts such as the valve o-ring and other o-rings. They are all oiled up so that is not the problem. Teflon tape is in all the right places as well.

I am wondering what could be causing this. I can't seem to stop the leak no matter what. Could my valve be messed up? The marker is about 8 years old.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:23pm
Just checking,

You have the valve assembled with the tombstone oring on the outside?
From outside to inside the valve, it would be oring, washer, spring, poppet, then seat and seat oring.

A lot of players accidentally put the washer on the outside. A common mistake.
Thads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 5:34pm
That is the order I have it in. Everything should be in the right order, according to the diagrams I have.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:49am
If all of the O-rings are in good condition, in the right place and oiled up, and you are still leaking with the marker cocked, it sounds like you may need to rebuild/replace your valve. Most likely one of the o-rings inside the valve is shot.  

Edited by oldpbnoob - 18 January 2010 at 9:51am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Thads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:15am
That is pretty much what I expected. Just wanted confirmation before spending the money on a new valve. Thanks for the help.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:21am

You could try and replace all O-rings etc in the valve, but the combined cost of the parts might be higher than just buying a new valve. Try www.tippmannparts.com, they have a pretty good selection of replacement parts.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
GangstarChin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GangstarChin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:59pm
I seem to have to the same problem. Except when the marker is cocked there is no leakage. Only when it's uncocked the air leaks! Can somebody help me out here. I have checked everything and all the rings are in good order. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic