FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Special Senate Election

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Senate Election
    Posted: 14 January 2010 at 6:34pm
For Ted Kennedy's replacement. I was going to sit this one out because I don't consider myself well informed on the candidates, and out of the Democratic candidates in the primary I liked Martha Coakley the most, but her ad campaign has so polluted my TV and radio with negativity I will show up and vote against her just to make her shut up. It's a purely negative campaign as far as I can tell, and she seems to be averaging 2-4 ads per break during the nightly news. It's just gotten under my skin so much I'm now willing to vote for Scott Brown, whoever he is, even if he does support taking drugs away from seniors and denying medical treatment to rape victims, or do the hitler salute to Rush Limbaugh. At least he isn't crapping up my airwaves. 
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 6:50pm
I find it sad that our tolerance levels for annoying ads is a bigger factor for our votes than our actual ideals.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:10pm
I had to admit, Brown's remark "This isn't Senator Kennedy's seat, this is the People's seat" remark was pretty awesome.

I'm curious to see how this goes, especially since the rumor being spread around is that if Brown wins the democrats will delay the validation of his appointment until AFTER the health care vote. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but it doesn't seem out of character.

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:21am
Interesting race. When Romney was gov and Kerry could have left Senate the Dems wanted the people to vote and not a Gov appointment to the seat. Now they have a Dem gov and are trying to put all sort of blocks in the way of the Special Election, they really want a Gov appointment option back, which would be the Dem, because they have a real potential in losing to the Rep. Came back to bite em. And if the Rep wins they will delay the validation till after the health care vote, that is a given. Real clear and open politics, the Dem Congress of dirty tricks, Chicago politics at it's finest.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 7:50am
See the only thing about that that makes me wonder, is if they DO delay the validation of the position, the credibility of the party is shot in that state. Seriously. Everyone KNOWS the ramifications that this election will have on the health care vote before they go to the polls for this special election.

If Brown wins, the democrats can't be stupid enough to delay the validation, it'll be a direct thumb in the eye of the voters, and there's no way to bounce back from that the next time an election of any kind rolls around. They'd be lucky to get a democrat elected as city dog catcher.

Are they willing to sacrifice one of their bluest states in an effort to ramrod health insurance reform through the system?

Thats why I sort of think that the delaying tactic is only a rumor concocted by someone playing just as dirty as the opposition in an effort to scare independents to the other side of the table. There's no way the democratic party could be that stupid.

......right?

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

See the only thing about that that makes me wonder, is if they DO delay the validation of the position, the credibility of the party is shot in that state. Seriously. Everyone KNOWS the ramifications that this election will have on the health care vote before they go to the polls for this special election.

If Brown wins, the democrats can't be stupid enough to delay the validation, it'll be a direct thumb in the eye of the voters, and there's no way to bounce back from that the next time an election of any kind rolls around. They'd be lucky to get a democrat elected as city dog catcher.

Are they willing to sacrifice one of their bluest states in an effort to ramrod health insurance reform through the system?

Thats why I sort of think that the delaying tactic is only a rumor concocted by someone playing just as dirty as the opposition in an effort to scare independents to the other side of the table. There's no way the democratic party could be that stupid.

......right?

This is a rational thought.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 11:37am
Brown has been trying to show a moderate stance while Coakley is using pure scare tactics. Reb, considering that the last democrat to hold that senate seat left a woman to die in his car and didn't report it and was reelected for the next few decades, if brown were to win and the governor publicly skinned him alive and wore him as a hat for the rest of his time in office, and then changed the laws and appointed a democrat, the party would still control the state. Their number 1 priority is to get a national health care system that's even more expensive that the current system in this state, by whatever means necessary. The Dem. party is strong enough in this state to survive whatever backlash would come from doing such a thing, especially with all the news focused on Haiti. 
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:18pm

......right?

Massachusetts doesn't like republicans. OR we just really like Kennedy's. I think it may be the latter but I haven't decided yet.
Que pasa?

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 2:52pm
I have to wonder if her campaigning style is back firing. I would likely not have voted at all, but the constant spewing of hate and fear on my TV, coupled with Brown's more moderate message (promising a lot of the transparency and accountability that Obama did) have me strongly supporting Brown. Coakley has done little to stand out, while Brown has had a hand in the pension reforms and many of the other anti-corruption reforms that I've applauded. Brown seems to have the credentials of a reformer, while Coakley is yet another laywer (sorry Rambs). Considering that she's lost her 15 point lead to being within the margin of error for the polls which show her behind by 4 points, mostly thanks to a random guy with the last name of Kennedy running as a 3rd party candidite. Republicans are a serious minority in this state, so if Brown wins it will be thanks to independants (like myself), I doubt he will have a radical, regressive agenda if he wants to keep the seat. Both Bill Clinton and Obama are coming out to campaign, apparently not too busy with the whole Haiti thing. 
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 3:01pm
I do find it interesting the 'panic' the Dems feel with this election. Since most polls show the Health Care Bill as percieved as unpopular, the Dems seem intent on thier agenda at any cost. If Brown wins and games are played by the Dems on the vote for Health Care it will doom the Dem majority, as most Americans are tired of dirty politics. And the Dem claim that Rebublicans use fear are now baseless with the Coakley campaign. As representitives the Congress needs to listen to the people, not the DNC and thier agenda. I hope Brown wins, just to watch the Dem Party both in Mass ands nationally self destruct to protect thier agenda.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Both Bill Clinton and Obama are coming out to campaign, apparently not too busy with the whole Haiti thing. 

This really smacks of that desperation and panic that OS mentioned. To be biting your nails this close to the end that you need presidential intervention? Yikes.

Red raises a good point too, even if Brown wins, he'll be tied to a moderate stance if he ever wants to keep his position in the state of Mass.

That being said, with such low national support of the health insurance reform bill thats on the table, he can probably afford to oppose that, throwing the entire thing into a tailspin without worrying too much about being ousted the first chance that the voters get.

What I don't understand though, is that The people of that state, with their seemingly eternal support for Ted Kennedy and his position on health care reform, can be so willing to embrace a candidate who stands a great chance of upsetting all of that.

I guess it just goes to prove what kind of power that the independents actually have.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 15 January 2010 at 3:21pm

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:23pm
I saw my first ad for this today. Apparently the vote is on Tuesday. I will not vote
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I saw my first ad for this today. Apparently the vote is on Tuesday. I will not vote

Then please refrain from pissing and moaning if anything that results from this election ruffles you.

I'm not saying you do now, but I cannot stand people who refuse to vote but are more than willing to be a pain in the ass about it.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:29pm
I don't piss and moan about anything except stupid things Deval Patrick wanted to do before because it actually enraged me.

I actually would vote in this special election but I will be in Rhode Island working from 11-5 and that is an hour and a half away from where I would need to be to vote.
Que pasa?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:31pm
Awww, no early voting?
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Both Bill Clinton and Obama are coming out to campaign, apparently not too busy with the whole Haiti thing. 

Do you expect them to be down there pulling slabs of concrete off people?

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Awww, no early voting?

Don't know is there?

and Eville speaks truth. It's not like there is much more a president and FORMER president can do.

Why is Bill clinton even included in that?
Que pasa?

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 6:27pm
Obama is actually the afterthought since he has more  things to do than worry about Haiti, but Clinton's foundation could use him fund-raising as much as possible before something else grabs the international media spotlight.

I'm waiting for nudes of Brown to get leaked sometime monday evening.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 8:33pm

What I don't understand though, is that The people of that state, with their seemingly eternal support for Ted Kennedy and his position on health care reform, can be so willing to embrace a candidate who stands a great chance of upsetting all of that. I guess it just goes to prove what kind of power that the independents actually have.

I think the eternal support of Ted Kennedy had much, if anything, to do with his stance on the issues. The statistics show us that people are more apt to vote for an incumbent unless they really really screw up. Given the fact that Teddy never really screwed the pooch politically anymore than any other Kennedy did (yes, if you're a Kennedy, you can kill people and get away with it) so people probably voted for him out of habit. It was most likely along the lines of "well, I KNOW that he hasn't screwed me over, but this new guy might...." That's the exact reason that Byrd and Rockefeller have had such death-grips on the WV Senator seats. They've been there so long, most people can't even remember a time when they weren't in those seats. Now that Ted's seat is open and he won't be filling it and can't endorse a successor (I hope) then people will actually look at the stances of those vying for the seat. That means that it's anybody's game.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

What I don't understand though, is that The people of that state, with their seemingly eternal support for Ted Kennedy and his position on health care reform, can be so willing to embrace a candidate who stands a great chance of upsetting all of that. I guess it just goes to prove what kind of power that the independents actually have.

I think the eternal support of Ted Kennedy had much, if anything, to do with his stance on the issues. The statistics show us that people are more apt to vote for an incumbent unless they really really screw up. Given the fact that Teddy never really screwed the pooch politically anymore than any other Kennedy did (yes, if you're a Kennedy, you can kill people and get away with it) so people probably voted for him out of habit. It was most likely along the lines of "well, I KNOW that he hasn't screwed me over, but this new guy might...." That's the exact reason that Byrd and Rockefeller have had such death-grips on the WV Senator seats. They've been there so long, most people can't even remember a time when they weren't in those seats. Now that Ted's seat is open and he won't be filling it and can't endorse a successor (I hope) then people will actually look at the stances of those vying for the seat. That means that it's anybody's game.

I suppose you're right, blindly following a candidate regardless of issue isn't exactly something new to politics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic