FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Josey Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Josey Wales
    Posted: 12 January 2010 at 2:22pm
New Hobby, for x-mas I got 2 .44 cap and ball revolvers, a 1860 Army model and a 1851 Navy "Confederate'. And I went out and bought a 1851 Navy .36 to finish the collection. My rig, a set of twin crossdraw 'regulation' holsters, belt, cylinder pouches, suspender for drop holster, and drop holster came in Friday. I sealed and polished the leather over weekend and formed the holsters for the pistols. My rig is patterned after the rig worn by 'Josey Wales'in the movie. Momma is trying to get me out and active again.

I went out yesterday to an indoor range and shot all three, both .44's are acurate with round ball, the .36 seems to drift right. Did several 'draws' and got good hits, and worked on cylinder changes. (I still used crisco as my flashover preventer, over the pricy commercial grease).

Going to do old west 'Cowboy Action Shoots' where you move, draw and shoot at metal targets for time and score. My next purchase is either a Spencer carbine or Sharps, have not made up my mind.

Looks like a fun hobby, and there are a lot of shoots and activities for re-enacting the post civil war era. Momma is even going to outfit herself in era clothing for events.

Getting a confederate issue? shell coat, mounted trousers, muslin shirt, 'drover' hat and I already have boots. Have a friend in theatre who knows how to age and weather clothing, so should be pretty impressive when done. All I have to do is learn how to ride a horse again.

Still going to split time between house in NY and house in Nebraska, full move to NY postponed till 2012 when stepdaughter finishes High School here in Nebraska.

Edited by oldsoldier - 12 January 2010 at 2:27pm
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 2:40pm
Pics ?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 3:34pm
When I'm not posting on a blackberry at 60 MPH ill put you in touch with a friend of mine who runs a sutlery.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 4:07pm
I hope that blackberry came with an extra lucky charm for your car, Reb.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

When I'm not posting on a blackberry at 60 MPH ill put you in touch with a friend of mine who runs a sutlery.

I read that as "runs a sluttery"
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 4:55pm
Nice , OS!!!! I was looking at one in Cabela's this December. post picts when they are done!
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I hope that blackberry came with an extra lucky charm for your car, Reb.

It IS the lucky charm.

OS, Do not, under any circumstances buy a Sharps Carbine. All the reenactors/shooters I know that own one (my father included) grow to hate them. They're extremely finicky and are prone to misfires like no other black powder rifle I've seen. I recommend a Spencer or a Smith.

A smith is easier to shoot blanks out of if you're going to do any reenacting shooting. Its single shot like the Sharps and much, much more reliable.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 12 January 2010 at 5:20pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 11:01pm
I have looked at the Smith Calvary Carbine, $795.00 in .50. OPnce I get full look will post pictures, leather rig is still wet and drying to shape.

I watched the movie twice trying to ID the rifle he used to cut the rope on the ferry, looks like a long Sharps.

I use The Regimental Quartermaster as my Sutlery, good pricing and fast service.

Also have a friend near Kingston with some horses, will get back in saddle and see if he will let me shoot off a horse for grins and giggles.

Edited by oldsoldier - 12 January 2010 at 11:04pm
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 11:27pm
looking for gun ID's in movies?

http://imfdb.org
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 1:52am

Cowboy roxors my boxors.

If only I could get catridge conversions for them. Conversions are illegal in South Africa :(
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 3:45am
I've been eyeing up some Cimmarons for a while now, but can't pull the trigger on one.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 3:26pm
I've used Regimental a few times in the past, They're regulars at national civil war reenactments. In fact, I think they give my living history organization a 10% discount on all purchases aside from guns.

Their firearms prices are outrageous though.

My friend's place is Susquehanna Sutlery based out of Northern Pennsylvania, not far from Binghamton. The proprietor has actually fielded with us as a Louisiana Tiger a few times. His web site is down now, but he has recently expanded his supplies for old west and WWII gear. In fact, every year he's invited us to "Buffalo Days" in N. Pa, which I've yet to go to, its actually on a Buffalo ranch. If we get the invite this year, I'll let you know, and extend the invite.

And, with the kit you're assembling, if you ever get the hankering to do some reenacting, you could easily pass for a dismounted Cav. trooper at some of our CW events. If you're in NY during the spring/summer, there's an event in Binghamton, and another in Elmira. You'd be more than welcome to field with us.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 13 January 2010 at 3:27pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 4:36pm
Thanks I am planning on being in NY late Feb thru Sept. Have surgury at Albany VA Mar 30, but should be up and running early May.

Any other places you know where I can look at a Smith Calvary Carbine. $795 seemed reasonable as compared to the 1100+ for other era carbines.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Thanks I am planning on being in NY late Feb thru Sept. Have surgury at Albany VA Mar 30, but should be up and running early May.

Any other places you know where I can look at a Smith Calvary Carbine. $795 seemed reasonable as compared to the 1100+ for other era carbines.

I'll check a few other places I know for you.

When I reenacted dismounted cav, I used a smith's, you can buy nice heavy plastic shells for them that reload nicely, and are much, much cheaper than the brass ones that are 'supposed' to be used.

LOVE the smith. The break open design is simple and its light enough that carrying it around all day was a cinch.

Early May? Its cutting it close, but that event I mentioned in Elmira is the first weekend in may. Its a straight shot up 88 to route 17 to the Newtown battlefield outside of Elmira. TONS of fun that one. In fact, if you'd like to go to that one and haven't bought a rifle yet, I'll loan you my Smiths so you can get a feel for it.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 13 January 2010 at 5:20pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:17pm
Hopefully I will be up and movin for Elmira, I will call ya once I get back to NY and we can co-ordinate. Are these events full immersion events for the weekend, since I sold off most of my Civil War gear years ago. Going with the Confederate 'Raider" look for price and momma allowance.

Like the look of the Smith, hopefully can work one in before then, local Cabellas has a Cook and Brother Carbine for $450, but will keep shopping for a Smiths.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:21am

Hopefully I will be up and movin for Elmira, I will call ya once I get back to NY and we can co-ordinate. Are these events full immersion events for the weekend, since I sold off most of my Civil War gear years ago. Going with the Confederate 'Raider" look for price and momma allowance.

Like the look of the Smith, hopefully can work one in before then, local Cabellas has a Cook and Brother Carbine for $450, but will keep shopping for a Smiths.

These events are pretty laid back, so the 'raider' look wouldn't be a problem, and this event offers modern camping services to people too, aside from authentic. Besides, we've got a TON of extra gear if you're interested in coming out.

LOVE the Cook and Brother. My sister's got one, and its a beautiful little rifle.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:30pm
Could not pass this up, went to cabellas the Cook and Brother was gone, but I got a returned Hawkens .54 for $125. Still looking for a Smith so till funding avail will run with Hawkens and/or just revolvers.

Mr Murphy, how long did the Cook sit there till I was interested, next day I go back it is gone. Also found a returned H+R 1871 45/70 Buffalo Rifle for $325 and a returned Sharps 45/70 with tang sight for $750.

There is a Mountian Man group as well as a Union re-enactment group in Oma/Lincoln so not too surprised the Cook was gone.

Found a Cook and Brother online for $525, and a JP Murray also for $525 still looking.

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 January 2010 at 11:22pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 2:35am
On a side note, I was running my .36 1851 in a steel man on man challenge the other day, and beat a guy running a Glock 17.

I'm quite happy to admit it was mostly luck, and I didn't try it again, but 6 plates in 6 shots in a might under 2 seconds isn't bad for a weapon system that's 160 years old.

I was using basically full loads, but still.

KBK
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 7:44am

Found a Cook and Brother online for $525, and a JP Murray also for $525 still looking.

I've heard less favorable things about the Murray, though I haven't got any personal experience with them. As I mentioned though, the Cook and Brother is an amazing little carbine.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 1:57pm
Ordering a Cook and Brother, along with some uniform and other sundries. total is just under $800. I've blown the momma approved limit.

Should have the 'raider' look down, just have to age and bleach the items when they get here. Changing my holster rig a tad, based on the duster I will be wearing.

Momma is also wanting to get involved, she is a little upset that I am doing Confederate since her family fought for the Union. I told her so did mine in one of the NY Regiments. Confederate is a pure cost decesion.

Will have pics up as soon as I get back to NY, the good camera I left in NY.

Edited by oldsoldier - 15 January 2010 at 1:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic