Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pokemon is from the devil!

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Joined: 04 February 2008
Location: Yankee Stadium
Status: Offline
Points: 5676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:46pm

Jmac, your responses in this thread answer you question to me in the other that got locked.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Back to Top
Neothesmurf View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 06 August 2009
Location: chicago
Status: Offline
Points: 67
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neothesmurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:50pm
because he is up there speaking about the christian faith, and pokemon being the devils work, he is trying to portray this to everyone who is willing to listen. he is actively trying to represent the faith and tell you how to worship God. just because you may not agree with what he says does not mean its not what he is doing.
Project Salvo, Cyclone feed, 16in Tippmann sniper barrel, red/green dot sight(for now, more upgrades pending)
Back to Top
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Joined: 14 January 2006
Location: Uncertain
Status: Offline
Points: 5285
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Yes he does represent Christians whether you like it or not.

It does not matter if there are 432343423423423423 different types of Christians who don't agree with him. The man represents the faith he subscribes just by standing up and saying he does.
Obviously you are correct. I guess I will go represent the entire male population at the mall right now, proving that all males are actually 5'9", weigh 125 lbs, have blonde hair and blue eyes, all males also have rockin' emo hair. I will also be sure to represent all males in the fact that they all wear size 8 black converse, 28x32 American eagle jeans and a small nirvana T-shirt and a black studded belt. I will continue representing the entire male population as I drive my camaro listening to hardstyle the whole way there and back. obviously I represent the entire male population because I in fact, do go out in public. Other males allow me to be in public, so obviously they accept my representing the entire gender. I also do have the symbols of being a male...namely male genitalia. So obviously, I, Taylor, represent the entire male population.
 
Lovin' your logic.


Edited by __sneaky__ - 16 December 2009 at 2:52pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl


Forum Vice President
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:51pm
Oh me speaking truth makes me a dick now? Alright brother.


Que pasa?


Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:52pm
That is the wrong logic Sneaky.
Que pasa?


Back to Top
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Joined: 14 January 2006
Location: Uncertain
Status: Offline
Points: 5285
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

That is the wrong logic Sneaky.
Care to explain the differance?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl


Forum Vice President
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:07pm
It's called a stereotype.

You say emo hair, studded belt, and black converse. I think of this:



Now if you go stand in front a large group of people who agree with what you say, and you say the music I listen to is hardstyle!

Now when I see someone that looks the same I now think they probably listen to the same stuff as you. Where as two things may be true. Not everyone who looks like that listens to the same stuff, and not everyone who does listen looks like that.


Same goes for this man. He stands up to represent Christians and say Pokemon is the devil. Now people may say "oh Christians think Pokemon is the devil!" when in reality not all Christians think that.
Que pasa?


Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:26pm
Uh, NO. He represents, at most, his congregation.

He has no bearing on my congregation. How can he represent me?

He is a loud outspoken person, sure. But representative of all Christians? Far from it.

Using your logic, Sneaky is right.

I declare myself Jmac's representitive, and as such I can say Jmac agrees he is a troll. And he doesn't want to be fed.

Wow. This representative thing works great.

KBK
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:32pm
Kayback wrong logic again.

Yes he represents his congregation officially. Doesn't mean that from the outside he isn't representing the rest of his faith.


Also, who ever said I wasn't a troll?
Que pasa?


Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:33pm
For the record when I think of South Africans I think of the crazy dudes from Lethal Weapon, k?

"B b but he's black"
Que pasa?


Back to Top
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Joined: 04 February 2008
Location: Yankee Stadium
Status: Offline
Points: 5676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:37pm
A stereotype and a representative are different Jmac. While he may be a representative of the Christian church that he is associated with, he is not a representative of the overall faith. The KKK claims to be Christian, but I think we can all agree that they are not representatives of the Christian faith. Falwall or some other nut claimed many years ago that the reason Florida was getting hammered by hurricanes because Disney was proteting the rights of homosexuals. I don't think anyone will argue that this is representative of the faith either. Now if you have a large portion of Christianity advocating the same beleifs, than you can make that leap, but not based on one individual.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Back to Top
Gator Taco View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 June 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:41pm
What's that saying about adults with imaginary friends....
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:44pm
No it is not different. To people who don't know the difference the man represents Christians.

Just like Osama Bin Laden earlier. To the ignorant he is what all Muslims are like.
Que pasa?


Back to Top
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Joined: 04 February 2008
Location: Yankee Stadium
Status: Offline
Points: 5676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

No it is not different. To people who don't know the difference the man represents Christians.

Just like Osama Bin Laden earlier. To the ignorant he is what all Muslims are like.
So what you are saying is you think Osama Bin Laden represents all Muslims?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:54pm
LOL YOU CALLED ME IGNORANT HOW CLEVER OF YOU
Que pasa?


Back to Top
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Ask me about my Kokido

Joined: 25 July 2002
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 4025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

For the record when I think of South Africans I think of the crazy dudes from Lethal Weapon, k?"B b but he's black"


Only people with very small intellects think that one person represents the whole.

Especially one person from a Hollywood production.

Like you said, this guy isn't oficially representing all of Christianity. So how can you say he represents all of it? He is a spokesperson for part of it. IF you refuse to see that, well see point above.

Honestly, all you are doing is sitting in a corner shouting the world doesn't agree with you, so it is wrong.This is the how many'th topic you've done that? You need to brush up on your debating skills. Reading your repetative "Koz I sayz so, whatever you say is irrelivent!!!!!1one1" is getting boring.

KBK
Back to Top
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Joined: 19 September 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3146
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

No it is not different. To people who don't know the difference the man represents Christians.

Just like Osama Bin Laden earlier. To the ignorant he is what all Muslims are like.
So what you are saying is you think Osama Bin Laden represents all Muslims?


Whether you want to admit it or not, jmac is right on this one.  There are ignorant people out there, much like FE who think the radical muslims are the same as all muslims because they have not been exposed to the rest of the muslim community.  The only exposure they have to the muslim community is through the news which only talks about the radicals blowing cars and people up.  Now, the rest of the non-radical muslim community all say the same thing you are saying now, that the radicals are not a representation of everybody else.  Technically, they are right.  However, there are still those, like FE who, in their heads, equate the radical sects with the rest of the population.  It is in this way that the radicals are, in fact, representatives of all Muslims; not to everybody, and it doesn't have to be an accurate representation, but it is still a representation.

The key here is that it does not have to be an accurate representation, which it isn't in this case.    You have one sect who is being publicly heard by non-christians.  Because he doesn't have a banner or sign or anything else saying that he is of a particular denomination of christianity, the only thing that non-christians know is that he is christian because of the cross-shaped podium he is standing behind.  To all of the people who are familiar with christianity, this group is clearly not representative of the entire religion.  But, to the outsiders who are only exposed to christianity through people like this, they might make the connection inside their heads that what this one preacher is saying is a widely held belief in christianity and therefore this one group represents all of christianity; not to  christians, but to the outside world. 

Another example, remember what your teachers told you whenever you went on fieldtrips back in school?  It probably went something like "Be a good representation of our school."  If you go to say, a museum, everyone could behave perfectly, except for a couple kids who go around trashing the place.  Even though the vast majority of the kids could be prefect little angels, anyone who recognizes the hell-raisers as being from John Doe Elementary will always make that connection and think that everyone from John Doe Elementary is the same as the few bad ones who got their attention.  That is why your teachers told you that;  because it only takes a couple people to give the rest of the school a bad reputation through their actions because everyone else will view those few bad ones as representatives of the rest.
Back to Top
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Joined: 14 January 2006
Location: Uncertain
Status: Offline
Points: 5285
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

No it is not different. To people who don't know the difference the man represents Christians.

Just like Osama Bin Laden earlier. To the ignorant he is what all Muslims are like.
So what you are saying is you think Osama Bin Laden represents all Muslims?


Whether you want to admit it or not, jmac is right on this one.  There are ignorant people out there, much like FE who think the radical muslims are the same as all muslims because they have not been exposed to the rest of the muslim community.  The only exposure they have to the muslim community is through the news which only talks about the radicals blowing cars and people up.  Now, the rest of the non-radical muslim community all say the same thing you are saying now, that the radicals are not a representation of everybody else.  Technically, they are right.  However, there are still those, like FE who, in their heads, equate the radical sects with the rest of the population.  It is in this way that the radicals are, in fact, representatives of all Muslims; not to everybody, and it doesn't have to be an accurate representation, but it is still a representation.

The key here is that it does not have to be an accurate representation, which it isn't in this case.    You have one sect who is being publicly heard by non-christians.  Because he doesn't have a banner or sign or anything else saying that he is of a particular denomination of christianity, the only thing that non-christians know is that he is christian because of the cross-shaped podium he is standing behind.  To all of the people who are familiar with christianity, this group is clearly not representative of the entire religion.  But, to the outsiders who are only exposed to christianity through people like this, they might make the connection inside their heads that what this one preacher is saying is a widely held belief in christianity and therefore this one group represents all of christianity; not to  christians, but to the outside world. 

Another example, remember what your teachers told you whenever you went on fieldtrips back in school?  It probably went something like "Be a good representation of our school."  If you go to say, a museum, everyone could behave perfectly, except for a couple kids who go around trashing the place.  Even though the vast majority of the kids could be prefect little angels, anyone who recognizes the hell-raisers as being from John Doe Elementary will always make that connection and think that everyone from John Doe Elementary is the same as the few bad ones who got their attention.  That is why your teachers told you that;  because it only takes a couple people to give the rest of the school a bad reputation through their actions because everyone else will view those few bad ones as representatives of the rest.
While I honestly do see where you are coming from with that, I do feel like there is a big differance between stereotypes and representatives. What you are referring to, at least by my personal standards, falls under the stereotyping category.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl


Forum Vice President
Back to Top
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Joined: 19 September 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 3146
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:31pm
Stereotype - 4. Sociology. a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group

In this case the simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning is that all christians are afraid of pokemon.  The group that holds the view in common is those who are not familiar with christianity.  They used this one congregation as a representation of all of christianity in forming their stereotype.  People use what they know(pokemon preacher) as a representative of the larger group (christians) to form their stereotypes. 

While that one preacher isn't a representative in the sense of an elected or appointed official tasked by all christians to represent them, he is still a representative of christians in the way I posted above. 

This group its self is not a stereotype, but representative of christianity that people may use to form stereotypes.  He could be a basis for a stereotype, but is not the stereotype himself.  He is the representative used to form the stereotype.   Running out of ways to phrase that. 
Back to Top
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Stare directly into my avatar...

Joined: 03 May 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9174
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I do feel like there is a big differance between stereotypes and representatives. .

And with that, sneaky takes the thread
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.