FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well today could have gone better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well today could have gone better.
    Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:37pm
Going on a LJ-esque rant here, but I need to vent.

Journalism majors have to have their portfolios graded and approved by the department before they can graduate. I am currently set to graduate in the spring, so my portfolio was turned in way back in October, and I got the results back today.

Apparently my content - in the form of 15 of my best news clips - were awesome. My resume got perfect marks.

And yet, my portfolio failed.

Why?

Well, I also need a cover letter in the portfolio. While cover letters are normally specific to the place you are applying, and this is not specific at all, we are told to make it broad enough to be used for whatever we wanted to do after graduation.

In my cover letter - in which I wrote to a blank prospective graduate journalism program - I said that I would like consideration into the blank graduate program to help learn the aspects of Web-based and multi-media journalism that I didn't receive at the undergraduate level.

Turns out that apparently that was too heavy handed, as two professors on the board failed my portfolio in its entirety because they felt insulted by what they saw as a "unprofessional slight."

I should give some background of these two professors.

One of which I have filed a formal grievance with the university against due to things he has said to me (Maybe I am thin skinned, but I am not putting up with a professor calling me on my cell phone and asking me "Is there something wrong with your brain? Are you dense or do you have a learning disability?) as well as getting him fired from a "coaching" position at the student publication for sending harassing text messages to people.

The other replaced the first one as the "Coach" position. We have not seen him in months after his wife had a child, which is understandable, however, his job with us is based on a temp freelancing contract, and I suggested to my general manager that if he is doing no work for us, we shouldn't be paying him, and my general manager agreed.

So, yeah. Awesome. I'm sure that my background situation with these professors coupled with what I said in the letter had nothing at all with the whole thing being failed.

If I wasn't so goddamn livid about it, the thought of two professional professors failing someone because they pointed out their shortcomings would be laughable.

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:46pm
Document everything, protest the hell out of it. See if you can get a story written about it, should it come to that.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:47pm
That sucks, I feel for ya man.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Document everything, protest the hell out of it.

Luckily the head of the department likes me a lot. Unfortunately they are only one vote on the portfolio board, but they like me.

All I have to do is attach a new cover letter and hand it back in, and hopefully they pass it this time so I can still graduate on time in the spring.

I just really didn't want to deal with any of this portfolio crap in the spring.

Also luckily - unrelated to this incident I think - the head of the department allowed me to substitute a class on photo editing for a required class that one of the professors who has a raging boner against me teaches.

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:52pm
Can you go to the administration with this?

You should.
BU Engineering 2012
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 12:13am
1. Write a story about it
2. Publish it
3. Clip it
4. Add it to portfolio.
5.????
6. Profit.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 1:49am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

1. Write a story about it
2. Publish it
3. Clip it
4. Add it to portfolio.
5. <laugh hysterically>
6. Profit.

Fix't.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 5:33am
I had a strangely similar incident occur when I was in the Education department in college. In a paper I had to attach to my teaching portfolio, I happened to mention that I couldn't wait for the chance to get to work in a real classroom and learn the lessons necessary to teach, because while what I learned in college was good stuff, it seemed too idealistic to be much good in the real world.....(Not in these exact words)

that went over like a fart in church and I got called on the carpet for it, and I was told to redo the paper and resubmit it immediately.

....methinks you got in trouble also got your mentioning something you DIDNT learn at the undergrad level. The people in charge want to know what you DID learn, not the other way around, it makes them feel vulnerable to criticism. Is it right? Nope, but as an undergraduate, you either play ball or pay for it.

Of course, being openly harassed by a professor is a different matter entirely.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 15 December 2009 at 5:33am

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 6:16am
Just resubmit a cover letter talking about how you'd like to even further expand the aspects of Web-based and multi-media journalism that you learned so much about as an undergrad.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

The people in charge want to know what you DID learn, not the other way around,

The whole point of the cover letter is to be used for a portfolio given to a potential job or graduate school or somthing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic