FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! (Computer problems)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! (Computer problems)
    Posted: 11 December 2009 at 9:47am
So my computer has pretty much crapped out on me.
I've ran two scans with Spybot that revealed my comp was riddled.
It was fine last night but today when I started it up it wouldn't connect to the internet. (like firefox said it couldn't connect to the server) However my IE which I havent used for a while because it went all screwy a while back this can connect to everything. Hence my posting here. Although the address bar has disapeared meaning i have to go everywhere through search engines. MSN messenger wont log in and I cant get to my email through the IE for some reason.

I downloaded Google chrome to no avail. this is balls too. And generally any program i try to run goes tits up.

So why the heck can some programmes get to the interweb and others cant? And why does MSN keep being silly? When i troubleshoot it it comes up that the Hosts file and key ports are humped.

I know there are some saavy folk on here so if you can help out it would be much appreciated.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 10:21am
What anti0virus are you using?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 11:13am

Less pr0n Scotchy. Wink

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 11:42am
My guess is you picked up a virus/malware/trojan(s) yesterday and it(they) installed/loaded itself during start up. These days those programs are pretty intricate on what they can do including using your internet to connect out to the internet and download even more of these unwanted programs. 

I suggest using several different programs to try and diagnose the problem. Depending on what you have infecting your computer you may have alot of work ahead of you trying to get rid of them. 

Good Luck

Here are a few.

HijackThis - this is more of a diagnostic tool then a fix and if your not really familiar with your computer processes, this might not help you.

This forum will probably be more helpful for you:

ComboFix
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware
Spyware Doctor
ATF Cleaner

Make sure that you have the latest updates/definitions for all of these and you run full scans. You may even have to boot into safemode to be able to download these programs.

Again, good luck.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 11:46am
Oh and sneaky is right. Less pr0n or torrents whichever is your flavor. Both are notorious for coming with the treasures you seem to have been infected with.

Also when you fix your computer, make sure you read up on how to beef up your computer's internet security settings.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Less pr0n Scotchy. Wink

NEVAR!

It's almost certainly the torrents. Whemnever i tried to open them in the past it always rashed windows explorer. It worked though so i never bothered fixing it :(
Cheers for the input guys I'm currently running a lot of scans and sending the logs away to get looked at. I don't want to jump into combofix or anything brutal just yet in case I make an arse of it.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Malwarebytes

This will usually do the trick.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 5:14pm
Malwarebytes is great, so is Spybot. Use the Advanced mode on spybot and scan your startup entries. It'll be able to give you a database entry. Any that are suspicious, disable them so whenever you restart they don't open up.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic